31st July - DLR 20th Anniversary Challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

editorsfoot wrote:If the Missus gives me time off from wedding preperations, and I can resist a Gillingham pre-season friendly then count me in too, haven't been on the DLR since I did a geography project on the LDDC back in 1987, wonder if the area has changed at all? :wink:
Colchester fan?
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

jamesthegill wrote:Colchester fan?
:evil: certainly not living in the posh end of chatham as I do! Gillingham through and through, 22 years on the Rainham end. :D
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

editorsfoot wrote:the posh end of chatham
Is that some kind of hilarious oxymoron?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

Pretty much, but no one outside of the medway towns has heard of Walderslade.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

editorsfoot wrote:
jamesthegill wrote:Colchester fan?
:evil: certainly not living in the posh end of chatham as I do! Gillingham through and through, 22 years on the Rainham end. :D
And yet you've not noticed my username? I'm a Town Ender (yet not inbred like most of them) it's good to have a third Gill on here!
sweek
Zone 2

Post by sweek »

I've got a great route that involves swimming planned for this! That's allowed, right? :)

Okay, I've never done a tube challenge, and probably won't this time either, but I am considering going to the pub afterwards for once.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I do believe that swimming is not explicitly banned by GWR so there's no reason why one can't swim.

I assume you mean swimming the Thames. I wouldn't say that was a particularly safe thing to do given river traffic and the strong currents.

Or did you mean going to the local pool for a few lengths in the middle of the challenge?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I reckon that it could be a quick dip in King George V docks. It's about the only swin that could prove useful. Perhaps we can organise a triathlon in the middle of the DLR Challenge. :)
One day I shall return!
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

Hmm. I could be up for this (the DLR challenge, not the swimming)... got to keep up my standing as the Robert Robinson of the DLR (3 attempts! Count 'em!) after all. There's no way I could get down there for 6:30/7 though - so you may have to waive the starting time rule for me. Or I'll do my attempt out-of-competition or something. Unfortunately for me, it probably means I'll only have chance to down half a pint before the pub shuts...
"This train is for King George the Fifth. So you can't go on it."
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Soup Dragon wrote:I reckon that it could be a quick dip in King George V docks. It's about the only swin that could prove useful. Perhaps we can organise a triathlon in the middle of the DLR Challenge. :)
A swim across King George V docks would be handy, it'd reduce the time from Gallions Reach to KG5 substantially...avoiding aeroplanes, of course.

Best part of 1.25 miles going from Cyprus-KG5 the long way.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

gasman wrote:Hmm. I could be up for this (the DLR challenge, not the swimming)... got to keep up my standing as the Robert Robinson of the DLR (3 attempts! Count 'em!) after all. There's no way I could get down there for 6:30/7 though - so you may have to waive the starting time rule for me. Or I'll do my attempt out-of-competition or something. Unfortunately for me, it probably means I'll only have chance to down half a pint before the pub shuts...
As long as you can get to your selected starting station before 7:30 then you don't need to be at Poplar for 6:30. I just thought it would be fun seeing which direction everyone decides to head off in! I guess we could waive the before 7:30 start rule for you, it actually makes a good time slightly less possible due to frequency of service later in the evening.

Myself & Ping Pon have just been out to practice the Gallions Reach to King George run and it took me 9m40s :shock: Mind you I do have a heavy cold right now so I'm sure I can shave off 3 minutes before the end of July :)
One day I shall return!
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

I used to watch the Gills every so often as my auntie n uncle live there! most the game were when brighton shared with them.
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

This is spooky - I'm also a Gills fan, but it's a long story! Hadn't thought about what James the Gill might stand for!

And I've only just noticed that it's July not June - so I might be able to make it after all, I'll have to check my diary when I get back home (am in Belfast with work.)

And my monster run, well King George V to Gallions Reach in 7 mins is the easy bit....if you don't make it you've another 5 mins to catch up with the train at Beckton!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

tpfkar wrote:And my monster run, well King George V to Gallions Reach in 7 mins is the easy bit....if you don't make it you've another 5 mins to catch up with the train at Beckton!
That would make the total run 2.6km! I think I'll pass on that.
One day I shall return!
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

tpkfar... you're not allowed to comment on football my friend, you live in milton keynes, a place that is a disgrace to football.