31st July - DLR 20th Anniversary Challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Blimey, mine might, too! Perhaps we've all got the same route!
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

jamesthegill wrote:
sweek wrote:
jamesthegill wrote: Although it does involve going via Archway.
Northern Line Zone 3 Archway...?
I keep my cards close to my chest, so I refuse to answer that ;)
Aha, I think I've got it. After reaching King George V, he's going to double back to London City Airport where a newly recomissioned Concorde (yes, I know. They've kept very quiet about it because they don't want transport geeks like us to turn up and ruin the ambience, but it's going to be a scheduled service so it counts as public transport and therefore within challenge rules and everything...) will take him to Archway, Sedona, Arizona. Due to the difference in timezones he will arrive one hour before he left, and will thus claim a time of one hour 15 minutes.

Am I right? :D
"This train is for King George the Fifth. So you can't go on it."
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

gasman wrote:Aha, I think I've got it. After reaching King George V, he's going to double back to London City Airport where a newly recomissioned Concorde (yes, I know. They've kept very quiet about it because they don't want transport geeks like us to turn up and ruin the ambience, but it's going to be a scheduled service so it counts as public transport and therefore within challenge rules and everything...) will take him to Archway, Sedona, Arizona. Due to the difference in timezones he will arrive one hour before he left, and will thus claim a time of one hour 15 minutes.

Am I right? :D
How the hell did you find that out? :shock:
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Is this still on for a 6:30 meet at Poplar on Tues evening?

I'm working in London, so will be smart and kitted out - will there be any spectators who might be happy to take care of bags and stuff? Don't think I'll be doing the run in 7 mins in a suit!

Look forward to seeing you Tuesday - I should be able to make it as long as my meeting doesn't overrun.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

I've been looking forward to this all month - due to a chronic lack of money I've curtailed all social outings until this one, so it'd better go off well!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

tpfkar wrote:Is this still on for a 6:30 meet at Poplar on Tues evening?

I'm working in London, so will be smart and kitted out - will there be any spectators who might be happy to take care of bags and stuff? Don't think I'll be doing the run in 7 mins in a suit!

Look forward to seeing you Tuesday - I should be able to make it as long as my meeting doesn't overrun.
Yes the event is still going ahead meeting at Poplar at 18:30.
The rules are very simple.
1. You can choose whichever starting station you like.
2. You must depart from your selected start station between 19:00 and 19:30.
3. You must visit all DLR stations by DLR service.
4. As soon as you've completed the challenge head to the Captain Kidd in Wapping.

I will probably have a bit of space in my backpack so if you want to give me a couple of items to carry i'd be happy to try and help out. :wink:
One day I shall return!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I'm considering coming down to see what the fuss is about.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

As of this moment, the DLR is the only challenge that anyone has a better time than Starkey on. This makes it Highly Interesting.
"This train is for King George the Fifth. So you can't go on it."
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Soup Dragon wrote:I will probably have a bit of space in my backpack so if you want to give me a couple of items to carry i'd be happy to try and help out. :wink:
I've got a parcel bomb that I'm taking, can you look after that for me please? I need someone else's fingerprints on it :D
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

On the day, shout that a little louder within earshot of an orifice of the law and see what happens.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

A couple of guys made similar jokey comments about bombs before boarding one of our flights on Air New Zealand. They didn't find it so funny after spending a night in the cells and having their holiday departure delayed by 24 hours.
One day I shall return!
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

Going back on topic, I finally have a route inside record time. It now includes the dreaded 7 minute run! Not sure if my knee is up to it at present though.
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

If anyone can't be bothered doing the challenge on the evening, sounds like it should be a good laugh just to sit on the platform at King George V/Gallions Reach and watch everyone going past.

Looks like there's a decent chance of some people on the same route having different times if some make the run and some don't.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

We went to the Emirates today to watch Arsenal vs Inter Milan (& PSG vs Valencia), it seemed the obvious thing to try a DLR challenge on the way there. We set a reasonable time of 1hr50m25s.

As for Tuesday, the meeting place at Poplar will be the concourse above the platforms, from there we can all dash off in various directions for our nominated starting stations.

Look forward to seeing you all on Tuesday.
One day I shall return!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Just to confirm that due to a late change of plan I can now join you all in celebration of 20 years of the DLR........ :D

So see you guys either at Poplar, on the way round or The Captain Kidd in Wapping for the usual post mortem........... :P
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold