Zone 1 challenge route post mortem

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
G Force
Zone 3

Zone 1 challenge route post mortem

Post by G Force »

So how could your routes have been better? What happened along the routes that slowed you down? What strokes of luck did you have?

As I've started this thread, I'll analyse my route first.

In general I was pretty lucky with changes, with no bad changes (with one exception all trains arrived within the timetabled frequency for that time of day). Doing the Bayswater bit, I was very lucky catching both Wimbleware trains straight away.

On the downside, as many of you know I was delayed for 8 minutes by a lazy arse Edgware Rd driver at said stop who seemed to trying to get a relief driver to take over so that he could go the little boys room. Then coming into Elephant&Castle on the Bakerloo the trains were backing up to get into the terminus which probably wasted about 4-5mins. As I had a circular route, the starting station meant that I had to come into Elephant rather than out of which which I would much have preferred to have done.

I was fairly happy with my circular route, as it only had 14 changes, and 1 long run. As far as I know I had the highest placing for a circular route (5th)? However it was the circular route that ultimately prevented me from getting a higher placing. There were quite a few repetitions, and two reversals in my route. As mentioned above, it also resulted into me having to travel into Elephant&Castle which isn't a good idea. I would rather have not done the Russell Square - Goodge Street run, but I had difficulty planning a circular route without it. Next time, I will probably do what Geoff and Neil did and plan a route on the spot specific to the starting station (or if I have a lot of time on my hands do what the Swedes did, and plan a route for all starting stations beforehand).

From the routes I saw, the Swedes had the best route, and not surprisingly they won!
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

My route was as follows:

Station (Change To)

St James's Park (District West)
- The starting train. Got on it with Ric Brackenbury on our carriage and Geoff 'n' Neil in the one behind, with Steve Paull who turned around at Victoria to restart.

Sloane Square (District East)
- Turned out that we were in the right position for the change at Sloane Square and Geoff 'n' Neil weren't (well, I have done thta change a good 8 times now...) but we had to wait on the opposite platform for a train anyway! On the way to Westminster this train stopped in a tunnel before Victoria (I hate it when that happens). Luckily G&N were also delayed so they weren't yet at any advantage!

Westminster (Jubilee East)
- Classic speedy run from District to Jubilee at Westminster, a change that I enjoy thanks to the open plan station. There was no trian for another minute so we had time to walk down the platform and find our carriage.

London Bridge (Northern South)
- Another nice change. There was a train on the platform which we caught with a few seconds to spare.

Elephant and Castle (Bakerloo North) Short Wait
- Here we had to wait at a green signal while someone wasted our time (or maybe it was just the timetable). I think Adham's shouting "HOLD! HOLD! HOLD!!!" on the way to the train alarmed the driver, who may have thought there was something wrong, as I saw him peering out of his cab before closing the doors to see what all the commotion was about!

Charing Cross (Bakerloo South)
- Southbound train arrived within 30 seconds, probably. Someone asked, "Why are you wearing those masks?". "Because it's filthy," I replied, and that was that.

Embankment (District East bound for Tower Hill)
- This change was fun in that we ran past a cleaner on an escalator, shouting "Excuse me, stand on the right please, get out the way", to which he replied, "IDIOTS!!". We got on the platform as a train began to pull away and had to wait a minute for the next train, which must have only been one block section behind it. This train was a Tower Hill train. We wanted to go ONE STATION FURTHER. Why do trains terminate at Tower Hill?! On this train, a gentleman asked us what we were doing, so we explained comprehensively and have him the website address. We all got off at Monument and he wished us luck. Thanks, City gent!

Monument (step back one train to Circle East)
- Waiting for the Circle line train at Monument, which was either 2 or 4 minutes behind, I forget which, virtually nothing happened.

Aldgate (Run)
- This change was a pain. There was traffic on the one-way bit of road over the pedestrian underpass, which we decided not to use. That delayed us on the way to Aldgate East, but we arrived there in good time for...

Aldgate East (Hammersmith West) Medium Wait
- A Hammersmith train! We had to wait 3 or 4 minutes for it, but we were grateful that the first train out of here was a Hammersmith one. We relaxed, knowing that this was the one notorious line change on the network, and we had made it in reasonable time.

Paddington H&C (Run)
- My favourite run, provided it's made in this order. Exiting the H&C ticket barriers, there follows a "flying" run down a long ramp and a big, open sprint along the main line platforms. The arhitecture of the vast roof provides a suitably dramatic backdrop. When yo reach the shops at the other end, though, you're knackered and you get quite depressed as you descend into the dark, dusty depths of the brown Bakerloo.

Paddington Bakerloo (Bakerloo South)
- Waited for about 2 minutes for this train. A lady asked us what we were doing, but didn't seem as interested as the City bloke.

Oxford Circus (Central West)
- Annoying change, if I remember correctly, going from Bakerloo to Central here. Waited a minute for a train.

Notting Hill Hate (Wimbleware North) Long Wait
- Nasty, stinking northbound Wimbleware/Circle bit. After waiting a good 5 minutes on the platform, up saunter Geoff 'n' Neil, who have come from a Central train or two behind us, and join us for the next couple of changes! Jammy bastards. If we'd caught the train ahead, we could have fried them alive, metaphorically speaking.

Bayswater (Circle South) Long Wait
- Another long wait, this time with Geoff, neil, Steve Paull, Steven K and Zeibura, and maybe some others too. Nice to see them, to see them, NICE! A lot of discussion on the way down to Earls Court between us as we discussed how many stations we had done and began to find out each other's routes.

High Street Ken (step back one train to Wimbleware South)
- It was a Circle line train before, and we needed a Wimbleware one. 2 minute wait, I think, along with everyone else. Geoff 'n' Neil had done the same thing the station before, perhaps to psyche us out.

Earls Court (Piccadilly North)
- Classic change! Adham and I raced Geoff and Neil in a tense sprint down the stairs and down an escalator to the Sillybilly line. On the escalator, Adham attempted (and successfully accomplished) an incredible overtaking manoeuvre past Geoff, who himself was absolutely flying down the escalator. It doesn't get any better than this!! We had to wait for a train anyway, so it was all a waste of energy.

Kings Cross (Northern South)
- Geoff and Neil had left us at Green Park, but Steve Paull was still with us. Steve realised he was in the wrong carriage, and so did we, and so we all swapped around at Russell Square. Then, at Kings Cross, I arrived at the doors of a Northern line train literally half a second after they closed. If my fingers were two inches longer, I could have dived forward and pried the doors open again. They weren't that long, so I couldn't. Steve Paull sauntered up behind us at his own pace while we were waiting for the next train. Jammy bastard.

Bank (Central West)
- Nasty change, loads of people in the way, annoying spiral staircase bit, 2 minute wait for a train.

Tottenham Ct Rd (Northern North)
- Good change, I think, very short wait.

Euston (Victoria South)
- Final change, train awaiting us.

Vauxhall (Victoria north)
Oxford Circus (walk)
Horse & Groom (finish) via Boots, McChicken Sandwiches and the cash machines.

We arrived at Oxford Circus on the way to the pub on the same train as Stephen Knight, so it was nice to see him, and tense to have to go all the way back to the pub knowing we had similar times but not knowing exactly what!!!

We expected a Top 10 place with our time but we knew we hadn't won. We arrived so late, that you all thought we'd come tenth, didn't you?!
Last edited by CrunchySaviour on 22 May 2005, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

Hmm, my route...

St James' Park (Westbound District)
Victoria (Southbound Victoria)
Vauxhall (Mainline from platform 7)
-- this is where I left the pack. It worked seamlessly; all the trips down to Leatherhead for work have paid off in a good knowledge of Vauxhall station!
Waterloo (Southbound Bakerloo)
Elephant and Castle (Northbound Northern)
London Bridge (Westbound Jubilee)
Westminster (Eastbound Circle)
Embankment (Northbound Northern)
Charing Cross (Southbound Northern)
Embankment (Eastbound District)
Aldgate East -- RUN TO
Aldgate (Northbound Metropolitan)
-- the first time I have to wait -- 2 minutes, sitting on the train
Kings Cross (Southbound Northern)
Bank (Central)
Holborn (Northbound Piccadilly)
Russell Square (Southbound Piccadilly)
-- closest successfully caught train, I spent under 30s in Russell Square)
Knightsbridge (BUS!)
-- the bus didn't work out this time, got caught at the traffic light for two cycles. I'd've been faster running. This is where the problems start.
Sloane Square (Eastbound District)
-- narrowly missed the train
Earl's Court (Eastbound Olympia Shuttle)
High Street Kensington (Northbound Circle)
Bayswater (Southbound Wimbleware)
-- Two 6-minute, and one 8-minute wait. I could probably have walked the distance faster....
Notting Hill Gate (Eastbound Central)
Tottenham Court Road (Northbound Northern)
-- I was dreading getting to this last section, but here we are...
Euston -- RUN TO
Euston Square (Anticlockwise Circle)
Great Portland Street -- RUN TO
Regent's Park (Northbound Bakerloo)
-- Missed a train here because of a slow OAP in front of me who didn't seem to understand "'scuse me".
Paddington -- RUN ACROSS -- (Eastbound Hammersmith and City)
-- 6 minute wait in the end, not bad for a H&C, the only one I've seen all day.
END AT Edgware Road (then carry on back to Great Portland Street) for the Pub.

I think I want to optimise that Bank section such that I only go through Bank/Monument and Moorgate once, but that's going to be a pain.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Geoff and Neil sat down for 5 minutes at the start, having done no prior planning and came up with this (you can work out the lines and directions fair easily from this):

St James's Park
Sloane Square
Aldgate East
run to Aldgate
King's Cross St. Pancras
Bank
TCR
Euston
run to Euston Square
Paddington (H&C)
run to Paddington (Bakerloo)
Oxford Circus
Notting Hill Gate
Bayswater
Earl's Court
Green Park
Vauxhall
SWT to Waterloo
London Bridge
Elephant
Piccadilly Circus
Russell Square

And relax.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Senji wrote: Embankment (Northbound Northern)
Charing Cross (Southbound Northern)
Embankment (Eastbound District)
Ouch! I would hate to do that bit! 3 changes in as many minutes! There's potential there for a good 20 minute delay!
Senji wrote: I think I want to optimise that Bank section such that I only go through Bank/Monument and Moorgate once, but that's going to be a pain.
You have to do Bank and Monument as two separate stations anyway - ie you have to pass through the "Bank/Monument Complex" once for Bank and once for Monument.
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

Yeah, that was the one big disadvantage of the St. James' Park start -- from anywhere else I'd get to Charing Cross from Waterloo on the Bakerloo and possibly not even stop. As it was I only took 9 mins 5 seconds from arriving at Embankment the first time and leaving the second.
You have to do Bank and Monument as two separate stations anyway - ie you have to pass through the "Bank/Monument Complex" once for Bank and once for Monument.
But... you can arrive at Bank and change to Monument, which particularly makes sense if you come in on the Northern at Bank. My revised Cannon Street route does Central (Bank) to District (Monument) and hence ends at Old Street (cutting out the second Bank and the second Moorgate)
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Oh yeah! I hadn't thought of that.
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

ok here's my route: *TubeGuru - please just use this as I cannot send this in an email again (apathy)*

St James Park
Westminster
London Bridge
Elephant & Castle
Embankment
Aldgate East (run to)
Aldgate
Liverpool St
Holborn
Russell Square
Piccadilly Circus
Charing Cross
Euston
Moorgate
Paddington (H+C - run to)
Paddington (Bak)
Oxford Circus
Notting Hill Gate
Bayswater
Earl's Court
Sloane Square (run to)
Knightsbridge
Green Park
Vauxhall
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

I've already written my review, but here is my 5th placed route:-

St James Park
Aldgate East
Aldgate
Liverpool St
Notting Hill Gate (nice change!)
Bayswater (another nice change!!)
Earl's Court
Russell Square
run!
Goodge St
Euston
Moorgate
Paddington (via the service reliability black hole AKA Edgware Rd)
Elephant&Castle (via 4 red signals)
London Bridge
Waterloo (just 1 min wait for SWT)
Vauxhall
Victoria
Sloane Square

I should also give a big thanks for Tubeguru, Geoff, and Neil for organising the event, which all ran pretty smoothly. Oh, and the cake was very nice too!
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

trains
Last edited by geofftech on 23 Jan 2014, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

I apologise herewiththerein for that naiive comment.

Sorry, Geoff. There I was thinking you didn't know what you were doing... ;)
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

"person who takes part in sexual intercourse"

lmao
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Great fun meeting all of you!

So here is the route we followed:

http://lund.dyndns.org/zone1/Challenge2005Route.pdf

The columns have the following meaning (all part of PLAN not ACTUALs):

Column 1: no explanation needed
Column 2: Station
Column 3: Arrival method
Column 4: ETA
Column 5: Change time incl. avg latency
Column 6: Departure method
Column 7: Departure time

Lots of these values are guestimates based on my limited knowledge of station layouts and such - but on the average they seem ok.

A full write up of our experience will be published shortly!

HÃ¥kan
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

OK, here's how my trip went. I hope this is enough detail Geoff. (P.S. Could you put the missing "k" back in Brackenbury? Thanks)

St J's Park-Sl Square (with Anthony, Adham, Geoff, Neill)
Sl Square-Victoria (apologising at Sl Sq to the people Anthony ran through.)
Victoria-Vauxhall (My leg was already hurting, and I couldn't really run from this point...a problem!)
Vauxhall-Victoria (repetition...but I would have been in contention had the second half run OK)
Victoria-Aldgate (Got the circle train I wanted. Briefly joined by Peter Miller ((I think-apologies if I get names wrong!)
Hobble from Aldgate to Aldgte East.
Aldgate East-paddington (h+c) (Had to wait for the 3rd train at Aldgate East. Joined by david+ mark, and later Zeibura +co)
Paddington (bak)-Elephant. (The others raced away from me at paddington. As i got to the platform, a train was there so i jumped on....to be in the same carriage as david+Mark again. I was more pleased than they were :) )
Elephant-London Bridge (2 minute wait, as everywhere)
London Bridge-Green Park (ditto. Said goodbye to David+Mark at waterloo)
Green park-Earls Court (as Sloane Square done at start.)
earls Court-Bayswater (2nd district train through Eastbound. Was it Zeibura/joy54 I met there?)
Bayswater-Notting Hill Gate (reverse, but I figured everyone was doing it. Ran into the St Pancreas Cross-dressers)
NHG-Bank. (Realised that I wasn't on course to go faster than 3 hrs, every connection had been one or two minutes wait.)
Bank-KXStP (Just missed a connection I would have made at full speed, had 5 minute wait as a result.)
KXStP-Leicester Square.
leicester Square-euston (Both of these a couple of minutes wait...but the train didn't move from leicester square. it turned out that there was an unidentified package in the front carriage, and senior staff had to be summoned. Turned out to be a lost handbag, but I sat in station for 8 minutes before the train moved. if only I'd got that train at Bank....)

So 3:13:30, and back to Oxford Circus to get to the pub. Not a great run, despite a decent starting station. Should I have tried to be more radical with my route to avoid the Vauxhall doubling back? Not sure, as I know that this is a very fast route when the connections work. Really enjoyed the day though, and it was great to meet people from the forum at last.
Roll on September.....and hopefully another attempt at the "real man's route" soon......