The Extremeties Challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Root
All Zones

The Extremeties Challenge

Post by Root »

I've heard discussion of the Four Corners challenge, but the requirements of that challenge seem very loosely defined, and in fact I can't find any record of anyone attempting it. I've also heard of the Compass challenge, which could easily be confused with this challenge, although they are completely dissimilar.

The idea of this challenge is to visit the most Northerly, most Easterly, most Southerly and most Westerly tube stations on the network. These are:

North: Chesham
East: Upminster
South: Morden
West: Amersham

This makes it a very simple challenge, but there are still a vast plethora of available routes you could try.

For an added twist, you could force yourself to visit them in order, starting from North and working your way around the compass clockwise, remembering never to eat that breakfast cereal made from wheat (I forget the name)...

Another challenge where you would be guaranteed a record if you attempted it quickly enough.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Ping Pon has an idea for a Challenge called "The End Of The Line" challenge, in which you have to visit all stations at the end of each line, therefore for the District line you would have to visit Ealing Broadway, Richmond, Wimbledon, Kensington Olympia, Edgware Road & Upminster.
I haven't worked out how many stations there are in total, but this would be a very interesting challenge and involve quite a few bus & national rail connections. Personally I think this would be a bit more interesting that the Extremeties Challenge, but would obviously take considerably longer :)
One day I shall return!
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I can't come up with a sensible way of doing this.
Basically, the "simple" thing to do would be visit all stations that are shown as termini on the tube map. This does not include Hainault, but does include places like Woodford and Shoreditch (shown as an ELL replacement bus terminus). If we do not do it this way, and try and be sensible and include Hainault then it would only be consistent to include places such as Baker Street and Willesden Green where trains regularly terminate despite not being 'termini'. If, however, we do do it this way, then what about Heathrow? Neither Terminal 4, nor Terminals 1, 2 & 3 are shown as termini, but we know that one of them is. Do we still include it, or would that be inconsistent? And if we do include it, do we choose HT123, or HT4?
Next comes Kennington. This is sort of shown as a terminus on later tube maps. The line kind of continues on in dotted fashion. Is that a terminus? The same could apply the Chalfont & Latimer. Using things shown as termini on the tube map (and discounting Chalfont & Kennington) I get the following:

2 Bakerloo: Harrow & Wealdstone, Elephant & Castle.
4 Central: Epping, Woodford, Ealing Broadway, West Ruislip.
5 District: Ealing Broadway (not counted due to double up with Central), Richmond, Kensington (Olympia), Upminster, Wimbledon, Edgware Road.
4 East London: Shoreditch, Whitechapel, New Cross, New Cross Gate.
2 Hammersmith & City: Barking, Hammersmith.
2 Jubilee: Stanmore, Stratford.
5 Metropolitan: Amersham, Chesham, Uxbridge, Watford, Aldgate.
4 Northern: Morden, Mill Hill East, Edgware, High Barnet.
1 Piccadilly: Cockfosters, Uxbridge (not counted due to double up with Metropolitan).
2 Victoria: Brixton, Walthamstow Central.
2 Waterloo & City: Waterloo, Bank.

Totalling 33 'tube map termini'.

There are so many anomolies with this challenge i can't see it working.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Yes we debated the "end of the lines challenge" at length on Z1 day....

But what decrees visiting the end of every line :?:

For example Ealing Broadway as mentioned by Soupie being on the District Line is also ane end of line station for the Central Line. Therefore do you have to "visit" it on both lines or just one :?:
There is a possibility that you could arrive on the District Line and depart on the Central Line so job done, but what if you arrive and depart on the same line :?:
This same scenario applies for Uxbridge.

The other point was end of lines stations like Elephant & Castle and Stratford... Do you have to "visit" E & C on a Bakerloo Line or is a Northern Line visit acceptable. Same scenario at Stratford does going through on a Central Line train cout as your end of line for the Jubilee :?
There are others in this category such Whitechapel, Barking, Aldgate...
Although these are all "one" station the end of the line would be on a different platform....

How about Woodford would you have to visit this via "the loop" or is an Epping train through there good enough :?:

Hammersmith would have to be visited as being the end of the H & C Line as the District and Piccadilly Lines run through a separate station......

I think this would be an intriguing challenge to attempt and like Soupie mentions N.R. and buses could play an important role.....

Quite a logistical challenge eh... and anyone like to have a go at a rough estimate of how long this could take :shock:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
ping pon
Zone 4

Post by ping pon »

When i first came up with the idea i was thinking that you would have to go to the ends of the line so if the line travels more distance from north to south you would visit the furest north then furthest south and same for west and east

Bakerloo: Harrow & Wealdstone, Elephant & Castle
Central: Epping, West Ruislip
Circle: There is none
District: Upminster, Ealing Broadway
East london: Whitechapel, New Cross ( beacuse it is further south)
H & C : Hammersmith, Barking
Jubilee: Stanmore, Statford
Metropolitan: Amersham, Aldgate
Northern: High Barnet, Morden
Piccadilly: Cockfosters, Uxbridge (Rather than heathrow because on the way out giude it shows that to be the furthest west)
Victoria: Brixton, Walthamstow Cental
Waterloo & City: Bank, Waterloo

So in total there is only 20 stations
Last edited by ping pon on 30 May 2007, 07:10, edited 1 time in total.
One has lost the game !!!!!
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

how do we decide between amersham and chesham?

the metropolitan line goes from the centre to the north west. chesham is the furthest north and amersham is the furthest west.
Dr Who
Zone 6

Post by Dr Who »

Well I Thought you had to visit all the station at the end of the Lines.

Bakerloo: H&W,E&C
Central: Epping, West Ruislip, Woodford, Ealing Broadway
District: Ealing Broadway, Richmond,Wimbledon, Edgware Road, Ken Olympia, Upminster
East London: Whitechapel, New Cross, New Cross Gate
H&C: Hammersmith, Barking
Jubliee: Stanmore, Stratford
Metropolitan: Amersham, Chesham, Chalfont & Latimer, Watford, Aldgate
Northren: Edgware, Mill Hill East, High Barnet, Morden
Piccadilly: Cockfosters, Heathrow Loop (T123,T4)
Victoria: Brixton, Walthamstow Central
W&C: Waterloo, Bank

Now I think you can visit Uxbridge on the Met or the Pic because they share the same Platform. But you must visit Ealing Broadway on the District & Central lines because they don't share platforms.
Or do you do this challenge by how lines are set out on the Tube Map in which case you visit Ealing Broadway once.
But this is Ping Pon's Challenge so he says whats in and whats out.
Last edited by Dr Who on 29 May 2007, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
ping pon
Zone 4

Post by ping pon »

jonny wrote:how do we decide between amersham and chesham?

the metropolitan line goes from the centre to the north west. chesham is the furthest north and amersham is the furthest west.
well amersham is further west than chesham and the met goes from west to east
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Well young Ping Pon, I know you came up with the idea of this challenge but personally I think it should be to visit all termini stations.

I agree with Johnny that the count is 33, but would exclude Woodford and include the Heathrow loop, although it would be difficult to visit Epping without going through Woodford.

As mentioned by Kevin we did discuss this challenge on the Z1 day, I personally think GWR rules should apply, so therefore if you arrive Uxbridge on a Met train there is no need to depart on a Piccadilly train.
You could depart by Met or bus or on foot, whichever method you choose.
As for Hammersmith this would have to be by H&C. Waterloo & Bank could be visited by any line that passes through these stations, if you want to use the drain you can but it's not essential.

Circle line of course has no termini, so apart from Edgware Road & Aldgate you don't have to visit any other stations on the Circle line.
One day I shall return!
ping pon
Zone 4

Post by ping pon »

Soup Dragon wrote:Circle line of course has no termini, so apart from Edgware Road & Aldgate you don't have to visit any other stations on the Circle line.
Well thats a good thing i hate the circle line
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

Heathrow 123 is the official terminus of the Heathrow branch, as that is where the trains take their lay-over time.

However, once trains are running a ghost service to T5, the T4 will be the official terminus for the T4 branch, and T123 will be the terminus for trains bound for T5. Once T5 opens, the termini will be T4 and T5.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

ping pon wrote:the met goes from west to east
Not entirely true - it certainly is labelled as travelling East/West beyond Baker Street, but in Amersham, Chesham, Chalfont & Latimer, and probably Chorleywood and Rickmansworth, it travels North/South.

I think you'd have to visit both.

Furthermore, as this is an unofficial challenge with no GWR involvement, let us come to agreement and say Shoreditch does not have to be visited, but Whitechapel does.

Having started this thread talking about a different challenge, I concede this would in fact be a lot more interesting, but very lengthy.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Root wrote:
Furthermore, as this is an unofficial challenge with no GWR involvement, let us come to agreement and say Shoreditch does not have to be visited, but Whitechapel does.

Having started this thread talking about a different challenge, I concede this would in fact be a lot more interesting, but very lengthy.
Hear, hear seconded Ollie no point at all in visiting Shoreditch it is not a end of line station :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Going Underground wrote:
Root wrote:

Hear, hear seconded Ollie no point at all in visiting Shoreditch it is not a end of line station :D
And thirded as well, I meant to mention this in my earlier post. We can agree on the rules for alternative challenges. Shoreditch would be a waste of time so I vote for Whitechapel. :)
One day I shall return!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Fourthed. [sic]