Tubefest 07: Zone 1 Challenge Friday 18th May

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
juice-rail
Zone 1

Re: Tubefest 07: Zone 1 Challenge Friday 18th May

Post by juice-rail »

Ric and I have been talking about this just now.
If we end up at Euston Square for example and the named line is the H&C, you must start on the first H&C you want in the direction you want after 1pm.
If however the named line is the Circle, same rules apply but for a Circle line train after 1pm.
tpfkar wrote:3)You must depart on the first train after 1pm on the named line you want in the direction you want from the starting station. (e.g. if it's Cannon St, you can choose between the first district/circle in the right direction as you wish, if it's Earl's Court + you want to leave on the district you can choose first train to High St Ken or first train to South Ken - but you can't hold out for an Edgware Rd train if the first is for High St Ken only.)
guess who has driven a piccadilly;-)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I was going to suggest that the named line is chosen at random too, but that's probably too restrictive .... ?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

juice-rail wrote:Ric and I have been talking about this just now.
If we end up at Euston Square for example and the named line is the H&C, you must start on the first H&C you want in the direction you want after 1pm.
If however the named line is the Circle, same rules apply but for a Circle line train after 1pm.
tpfkar wrote:3)You must depart on the first train after 1pm on the named line you want in the direction you want from the starting station. (e.g. if it's Cannon St, you can choose between the first district/circle in the right direction as you wish, if it's Earl's Court + you want to leave on the district you can choose first train to High St Ken or first train to South Ken - but you can't hold out for an Edgware Rd train if the first is for High St Ken only.)
Does this not bring us back to the Euston problem??? [Where does the first Northern line train leave?] May I humbly suggest the small following amendment to the organisers' set of rules: "For the purpose of this challenge, the CX and the City branch of Northern are considered two different lines." Potentially the same exception could be made for Wimbleware and Ken(O)-HSK...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

I don't want to get too bogged down in minutiae rules discussions (it may be that my first set of rules is more helpful in these circumstances.)

However as there is some confusion, I would say that the Northern CC and Northern Bank branches would count as separate from Euston - it would be impractical to rule otherwise as they depart from separate platforms out of sight of each other. I'd tentatively amend to 'first train on chosen line which stops at your next desired station' (so Northern from Euston would be fine, as the branches would next stop at Warren St/Kings Cross respectively; if you genuinely want a District eastbound from Earls Court, take the first train which next stops at High St Ken/Gloucester Road. However if you want to head up towards Edgware Road from Earls Court, take the first district which goes to Kigh St Ken and change onto circle there if necessary.)

There is something like a 3% chance of these stations being picked however - so we'll deal with any issues arising like this on the day.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Fair enough, Ric. End of discussion, I hope...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

I'll be there! With a pair of friends too. Wanted to do last years but I had an exam that day :(
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

jamesthegill wrote:I'll be there! With a pair of friends too. Wanted to do last years but I had an exam that day :(
Nice one James, welcome to the forum and look forward to meeting you on the day :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

I am sure I have mentioned this in another thread- but I will announce it here since this is teh official thread.

Got the day off work so the Tangy is coming to hopefully beat sub 3 hours this year, was only 15 seconds off that target last year!

I must get trained up for this- this will be my first Tube challenge of 2007!!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Yorkie
Zone 3

Post by Yorkie »

Can I offer my apologies, I won't be able to come since it's my last day of work before several university exams.
What would I know? - I'm from Yorkshire for starters...
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

Unless the first train rule is amended so I can start about 6pm, looks like I am going to be stuck at work that day!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

editorsfoot wrote:Unless the first train rule is amended so I can start about 6pm, looks like I am going to be stuck at work that day!
I don't think we can hold on at the pub that long to announce the results :wink:

Can't you play truant anyway, I know of a few others that certainly will be :shock:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I've heard there's a terrible coughing bug going round ...

Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

tubeguru wrote:I've heard there's a terrible coughing bug going round ...
Yes both of my sprogs have it :wink:
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

tpfkar wrote:she's a busy & prominent London figure.
Anne Widdecombe?
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Anne Robinson?

Member of sweet FA