Tubefest 07: Zone 1 Challenge Friday 18th May

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

What Going Underground said.

I'm now at 'Operations Centre' AKA the lounge of Earls Court Youth Hostel getting ready for tonight/tomorrow, and will be leaving at about 6 to get down to Mansion House early. I'll take a list of people expected tonight - my mobile is (deleted for spam avoidance months later - ask if you'd like it) if you need to get in touch - we may well wait if you are running a few minutes late, but please let someone know! I currently have no credit by the way, so please forgive me if I can't repy to messages until I top up.

What's the service like for this evening?
See you later,
Ric
Last edited by tpfkar on 12 Sep 2007, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

tpfkar wrote: What's the service like for this evening?
See you later,
Ric
Central severe delays and Holborn closed......
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Going Underground wrote:
tpfkar wrote: What's the service like for this evening?
See you later,
Ric
Central severe delays and Holborn closed......
What's the betting Holborn is inside the mystery envelope then? :( Shutting down now - use my mobile as above if you need to get in touch this evening.

R
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Ladies and Gents, it's a sunny morning here at Earls Court - looks good for later.

I hope that those of you with long journeys are having pleasant trips so far, and I look forward to catching up at 12 at Oxford Circus. Rock on!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Let's all stay in bed.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

tubeguru wrote:Let's all stay in bed.
Word.
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Well done to all those who took part and sorry I could not get there this uear but I am looking forward to reading the reports on the day.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

I'm not going to do a full write-up because I don't actually have the results ad because I have to be up early in the morning, but a quick summary for others to expand on:

-Starting station was Westminster, just round the corner from the last couple of starting station.
-The big winner was Sir John Stark MMath who won, achieved the fastest ever challenge day time, and spectacularly set the fastest Zone 1 time ever. Many congratulations.
-Peter Smyth came second, again.
-At least I finished this one, but I was right at the bottom after an emergency Temple to Covent Garden run involving a complete re-writing of our route.
-Scenic route of the day: the run from Lancaster Gate to Knightsbridge.
-Achievement of the day: the team who visited all stations including Hammersmith (H+C) without using the Hammersmith and City line.
-David Scard was the stealthiest of werewolves.
-Tube challengers are not as good at drawing Elephants as Castles.

I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on the day soon...
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

don't you mean including paddington (H&C) :P

was a cool day, well done to ric, david and neil for organising it!
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

zeibura wrote:don't you mean including paddington (H&C) :P

was a cool day, well done to ric, david and neil for organising it!
Cheers :) Glad most people seemed to enjoy the day.

And yes there are about 10 typos in my post above, but getting Hammersmith and Paddington mixed up is probably the best!
icbinb
Zone 1

Post by icbinb »

Thought i should say hello. I am one half of Norfolk 'n' Good. We had a superb day, and should hopefully be able to get a couple more for next time.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

How on earth would you visit Paddington (H/C) without using the Hammersmith and City line?!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Starkey7 wrote:How on earth would you visit Paddington (H/C) without using the Hammersmith and City line?!
One of the teams (I Can't Believe It's Not Borough) apparently departed from the H&C Platform at Paddington on a train that was announced as being a Circle Line service.
One day I shall return!
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I've heard that this happens, I believe, when trains are moving to the Circle line from Hammersmith depot. When it gets to Paddington it just starts going around the circle line, making it a 'Circle Line' train. It may well have been driver error though as (correct me if I am wrong with this bit..) IIRC trains dont start or stop going round the circle at random points in the middle of the day, only at the start and end of the day.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Thanks all! I had a great time as usual. I don't think computerised planning is a failure in any way. Had I only had the slightest more stamina (yes, I was trying to run this year) during the Aldgate run, we'd probably scored the second sub-3 hour time. But as things played out, we are quite happy with our effort. Generally speaking, connections were an uphill battle this day...

Already looking forward to next year!

On the topic of fastest theoretical Z1 time, I'd say that's very hard to define. But I think (using some math stat here) that once every six times (1 stdev, single sided) would end up in around 2h42m, once every 50 times (2 stdev, single sided)at around 2h34m. All tries with actual service disturbances are not counted...

These numbers are based on a theoretical time of around 2.50 and an estimated standard deviation of around 8 minutes. This is based on "light" running. A really good runner could fare a little better...

I freely admit that my model is imperfect. I think I got the average service frequencies and travel times fairly accurate, as well as the actual running/walking times. What's far less accurate are the estimates of times between platforms and platforms/barriers...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)