Tubefest07 Z1 Challenge format

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tpfkar
Zone 4

Tubefest07 Z1 Challenge format

Post by tpfkar »

Hi everyone.

We've been considering a change to the format of this year's Z1 challenge, and I want to give an opportunity to discuss it on here.

It's the 'finishing station' idea, which has been discussed before, particularly on <a href="http://www.tubechallenge.com/forum/view ... =202">this thread</a> and <a href="http://www.tubechallenge.com/forum/view ... =206">this thread.</a>

In detail, rather than drawing a starting station and finishing where we like, we would draw a finishing station and start where we like. We would synchronise watches together and head off to our chosen start station. (There would be ample time to get all the way across Zone 1 if desired) When the clock hits say 1pm, the challenge begins, and the timer is started. You can be on a train or a platform at this time, but you can only count a station as visited if the doors close after the timer begins. Visit all stations as before, and then race to the nominated station for the finish.

Some points to think about, I'll leave whether they are pros or cons up for discussion...you can argue most of them both ways!

1) Will there be a mass Vauxhall start? Or will people go for stations like Oxford Circus/Baker St where there are several lines within sight of each other so there is a very good chance of being away promptly at 1pm? A mass start before splitting different ways certainly seemed to work on Tube Relief. Should we ban Vauxhall as a start station?

2) Will it be more exciting racing to the finish point or will it spoil it because the winner will be clear? I don't think it will spoil it, as (unless the finishing station has multiple lines not in sight of each other) only the first two teams will know who the winner is. If everyone else keeps quiet until the official results, each finisher will have an idea of who is ahead of them, but not their order. Or we can tell people to head straight off to the pub after finishing. So just as before, everyone think's they've won until they arrive at the pub which is packed :)

3)Will the times be slower? Assuming that people can do their favourite routes backwards, the only delay will be in waiting for that first train at 1p.m. For record purposes, people could time when they actually departed their first station. And then moan about how well they would have done had there been that train at the start...

4)Is there a risk of cheating, with people jumping on a train before the 1pm start? Surely no greater than that of people saying that they finished a couple of minutes earlier than they did. And assuming that we don't have a guest appearance from ******** I trust everyone on this forum to be honest with their times.

5)There could be more draws between teams, as some could finish on the same train.

6)Should it be legal to arrive at your starting station by tube and then run out of it?

I like this idea myself, as I like the idea of a race to the finish, but I want to give people a space to add comments. I'd be grateful for discussion of the points above - or others I've missed - rather than just saying good idea or bad idea. I haven't included a poll as I don't want to give anyone any silly ideas about living in a democracy :twisted: but I'd be interested to hear what people think.

Expect a formal launch with an opportunity to sign up for the event in the week following Easter.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Here we go ...

I suggested it would be better to just tell everyone what was happening instead of opening it to debate, so let's see what you all come up with now it's open ;)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I think that losing the excitement of a simultaneous start would be a shame - I don't see why the format needs changing from last year. For me, it's mainly a social event anyway, with the race merely an accessory to that!
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

The whole reason I took on organising it last year was to avoid anybody bollocking around with the format.

There's no need for it. It's pointless.

If people are becoming tired of it, then they should stop doing it all the bloody time.

However, that said, if you're organising and want to do something, just do it. Don't ask peoples' opinions. People are rubbish and make things difficult.
hwolge
Zone 6

Re: Tubefest07 Z1 Challenge format

Post by hwolge »

tpfkar wrote:You can be on a train or a platform at this time, but you can only count a station as visited if the doors close after the timer begins.
Actually this is troublesome. Assume the train OPENS its doors at 12:59:30. Would it then be allowed to block the doors until 13:00:00 - not a good idea. I'd say any train OPENING it's doors at 13:00:00 or later is ok!
tpfkar wrote:1) Will there be a mass Vauxhall start? Or will people go for stations like Oxford Circus/Baker St where there are several lines within sight of each other so there is a very good chance of being away promptly at 1pm? A mass start before splitting different ways certainly seemed to work on Tube Relief. Should we ban Vauxhall as a start station?
I think this is a risk. To make it more challenging, I'd say the start station has to be a "bottle" station (on or inside). However, the chances of getting a record time would of course be much smaller.
tpfkar wrote:5)There could be more draws between teams, as some could finish on the same train.
Hey, that´s ok then isn't it? I think the risk is small.
tpfkar wrote:6)Should it be legal to arrive at your starting station by tube and then run out of it?
No!
Nutteronabus wrote:The whole reason I took on organising it last year was to avoid anybody bollocking around with the format.
There's no need for it. It's pointless.
If people are becoming tired of it, then they should stop doing it all the bloody time.
For a while I thought the fact that Regent´s Park is closed and Queensway is open would make an interesting difference to the last couple of years. However, after analyzing it, I'd say both these changes make planning less interesting and more predictable! Thus I wouldn't mind a change!
tubeguru wrote:Here we go ...

I suggested it would be better to just tell everyone what was happening instead of opening it to debate, so let's see what you all come up with now it's open :wink:
Well, there is no harm in asking around and THEN JUST DECIDE IT!
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I get the impression that usage of this forum has fallen off in recent months, and that only the same few users are reading/posting.

I'm worried that this year's Z1 may be a bit short on participants.

Member of sweet FA
Dr Who
Zone 6

Post by Dr Who »

tubeguru wrote:I get the impression that usage of this forum has fallen off in recent months, and that only the same few users are reading/posting.

You could well be right as I think the same thing! :cry:
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

tubeguru wrote:I get the impression that usage of this forum has fallen off in recent months, and that only the same few users are reading/posting.

I believe on the "Will there be a Z1 this year thread" we had 19 definites and some of those will be representing more than 1 person, i.e. Hakan...

Then we always get a few surprise people that turn up on the day that are not forum users at all.....

The biggest worry for the organisers is that we have a minimum spend at the pub afterwards for the separate room... In fact nearly all of the venues we checked beforehand wanted £500.00 but fortunately we have managed to secure a better deal than that.......

My feeling is that we will have around 25 - 30 particpants...
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

What you should have done is aksed me how much I got the pub for after Tube Relief a couple of years ago :)

I can't actually remember what it was, but it was dirt cheap.

Member of sweet FA
Dr Who
Zone 6

Post by Dr Who »

I say no more than 25 particpants will show up. 8)
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Just a few comments as I'm off for Easter weekend now (and am going to be late meeting up with family :? )

Thanks for the comments so far.

Yes we could have just said "we're doing this" but as this would be a substantial change there's a real danger in winding up a lot of people - and that's really not something that's worth doing for an event like this in my opinion. I don't think it's how we want to the event to be run anyway - right in my first post about the event I said that I wanted ideas and suggestions.

As hwolge says - we've opened up the thread and will make a decision soon - I'd be grateful if people who want to contribute to this could do so by early next week.

Finally on numbers - yes the character of the forum has I think changed recently in that a few posters are heavily involved. There is a danger of a low turnout - which will make one organisational decision in particular look very silly if we don't get a good crowd, but this means that we will have to market the event well beyond these forums; the best idea I have heard so far is a YouTube video! Time to step out from the shadow of the media whore himself!

Happy Easter everyone.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Personally I think the format of the Z1 challenge should remain unchanged and that we draw the same starting station. This adds to the excitement at the end of the day as nobody really knows who has won when we arrive at the pub at different times.

I do like the idea of doing a challenge where you draw a finishing station, but I think this should be done as a different challenge, seperate from the annual Z1C. :)
One day I shall return!
londongirl
Zone 3

Post by londongirl »

though I have been absent in recent times, [in fact this may be my first tube challenge visit in a month!] I'm still keeping an eye out for the Zone 1. Though work has kept me away from any real challenge I'm looking forward to it. Posting might be low from new characters but real life commitments do keep people occupied.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The Tangy is still roaming about here!

My view on this is that the format should reamin the same as previous years with everyonbe starting at the same station and ending at whatever station I seem fit.

Then coming to teh pub, the tension is high as no one who finished first, second or last etc.

In addition I want a sub 3 hour time this year, having got 15 seconds of that target last year.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

i agree, better a synchronised start than a synchronised finish. synchronised finishing will mean everyone starts at vauxhall at the same time, and if it means restricting where we can start then i don't think its worth the bother.

also, dunno if i've announced this yet but i will be attending fo sho.
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají