Z1TC "practice" run report

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Senji
Zone 3

Z1TC "practice" run report

Post by Senji »

Well, with a time of over 4 hours I wasn't exactly challenging the record, however I think I understand the main reasons for that:

* There was a signal failure at Kennington early in the day that caused problems on the Northern line for most of the day – I suffered two over-10-minute delays getting on Northern trains and also had a delay getting to my starting station.
* I hit the Baker Street-area of my route just as they suffered a points problem there, (which I'd've missed if I'd not been delayed on the Northern) which cost me at least 20 minutes.
* I need a better strategy for dealing with Vauxhall in the case of starting stations where it's inconvenient to end there.
* All the combined delays meant that I ran into the rush-period, at which point I gave up hope of a good time and just wanted to finish (which I did).

I started at Cannon Street, and ended up at the adjacent station of Mansion House, although I think I'd've been better off starting off clockwise and getting Vauxhall out of the way earlier. At the end of the day, delays will be a level playing field for everyone (even if they do mean that noöne can get the record), so the only thing I have to think about is Vauxhall, and I have some alternative strategies in mind; some of which simplify other bits of the network.

All in all it was a fun but tiring day, and I have to say that Neil and Geoff deserve even more kudos than I've been giving them for the whole-thing record – my entire body aches today!
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Well done for trying, Senji. The whole point of this, after all, is to have fun.

It's interesting that you elected to start at Cannon Street and finish at Mansion House. Doing that would give you a route in the form of a complete circuit, which would theoretically allow you a similar time wherever on the circuit you started.

I don't think it's much good going for the record like that, though, but that's not what you were doing.

Zone 1 packs more exertion into the 3 hours than the full challenge does in any given 3 hours; there are less changes per hour in the whole thing and there are more long, relaxing train rides. I'm not saying it's easy!
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

CrunchySaviour wrote:
Zone 1 packs more exertion into the 3 hours than the full challenge does in any given 3 hours; there are less changes per hour in the whole thing and there are more long, relaxing train rides. I'm not saying it's easy!
But the Zone 1 challenge doesn't require the recording of station arrival and departure times at every station, a multitude of runs, an early morning and late night (excluding the pub after the Zone 1 challenge), makeshift toilet "stops", etc etc :wink:
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

I did in fact record entry and exit times for each station (except St James' Park which I passed through without even noticing!)

Starting at Cannon Street was determined randomly (and I wasn't entirely happy about it!). It's not entirely so much a circular route as a nice route that can be turned into a circle -- and I think I can make it a more sensible circle and deal with the Charing Cross problem at the same time.

Hmm... Well, we'll see...
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

For hte Zone 1 day itself this year, Neil and i aren't going to bother making a note of the times inbetween - only the start and finish time, but we will take photos on the digital camera with the clock setting ON to prove that we went to certain stations at certain times.
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

I had the camera with me yesterday, but I think it's too heavy (weighed as much as the rest of my bag!), so if people are happy with noting times down then I'll go for that. :D
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Train numbers will be useful to note down, as Geoff and Neil know about that sort of thing.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

CrunchySaviour wrote:Train numbers will be useful to note down, as Geoff and Neil know about that sort of thing.
Do they ;-)
Yorkie
Zone 3

Post by Yorkie »

geofftech wrote:We aren't going to bother making a note of the times inbetween - only the start and finish time, but we will take photos on the digital camera with the clock setting ON to prove that we went to certain stations at certain times.
What's the official word from TubeGuru on this?
What would I know? - I'm from Yorkshire for starters...
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

I should think tubeguru is alright with it. He probably doesn't want to have to look through endless piles of proof in the pub afterwards!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

CrunchySaviour wrote:I should think tubeguru is alright with it. He probably doesn't want to have to look through endless piles of proof in the pub afterwards!
No, he doesn't ...
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

I think we can rely on people's honesty here. We all know where everyone is starting, and Jack will make a note of the official start times. All people have to do at the end is tell us their finish station and finish time and total time.

I don't think anyone will beat 2:45 (because of Queensway), but of course is they DID then we'd all want to know their route, wouldn't we?

I'm still convinced half of us will end up going the same way anyway, so we'll all have the same times.

I don't plan to make a note of train numbers. Am just taking digital camera photos with timestamp.
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Good effort Senji, sounds like you had a really unfortunate day to do it-I was trying the whole route the previous day and had a reasonable run, especially in Zone 1.

Having now tried them both, I actually found the Zone 1 challenge more mentally draining than the whole thing-you're underground for most of the time, and the legs are much shorter, you're on the move much more. There's something relaxing about doing a run then sitting on a train for 25 minutes through greenery and you're the only person in the carriage for the first couple of stops, which isn't going to happen in Zone 1!

Cannon Street is certainly an odd choice of starting station, but might be good practice for May20th. Speaking of which, it's pretty unlikely I'll get a job first, so can I sign up for the Zone 1 event now please?

And I don't think anyone will beat 2:45, but because of the lack of choice of start station, rather than Queensway. I doubt it will make crucial differences to people's routes.

Ric.

P.S. Senji do I know you? I knew a Senji in Cambridge. I'm Minister if that rings any bells. And you now think I'm mad if it doesn't :)
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

I am indeed that Senji :D