My Zone 1 Route

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

My Zone 1 Route

Post by CrunchySaviour »

OK, here's the route that I've been using for my Zone 1 attempts. Some of you may be surprised at one particular feature of it; one which is absolutely knackering unless you're in the zone (excuse the pun).

Why am I telling you all? Because it's time to use a new route: one that doesn't involve such a long and pointless run, one that is better suited to LU service inadequacies, one that, ultimately, is faster.

The new route will be put into action soon. I have a funny feeling it's been used before and is quite popular, though....
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

That's really interesting to see a route.
It's completely different from both the routes I've tried. I will post the better of my routes sometime soon. The other involves the Russell Square-Goodge St run, not a favourite.

Ric
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Anthony,

Is it really wise to publish a full, proper Zone 1 route on the site just 3 weeks before the challenge, thus enabling anyone who was trying to work it out for themselves (or indeed, anyone who hadn't a clue) to all follow the same route?

Yes, running from Russell Square to Goodge Street can be tiring (if you sprint it, which in my humble opinion is stupid) but I was just wondering why you'd want to give away just about every Zone 1 Challenge secret there is by publishing that.

I know that most people will do various sections the same but as tpfkar just pointed out - he hadn't got anything like that route.

I would advise people to think before telling everyone their routes - you're only levelling the playing field for the 20th of May.
Last edited by tubeguru on 03 May 2005, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Posting routes will just give everyone ideas / the same advtantage before Zone 1 day! Would it not be more pertinent for everyone to keep their routes to themselves?
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

Let's just hope that Regent's Park won't be the starting station now! :wink:
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

I guess that Anthony publishes this route because Queensway will be out of the game shortly. However I agree that it's boring to give away too much before the 20th - what's left left to talk about in the pub then?

Anyway, I've got a few comments/questions to Anthony about the route:

* How long did the Goodge Street - Russell Square sprint take for you? (i.e. what shape are you in?)

* Is it really quicker to double back at Charing Cross than sprinting or do you check the departure board before deciding?

* Do you always go for Aldgate East before Aldgate? Or does the first train at Embankment decide? Or do you consult the - admittedly approximate time table - to see whether you'll time an H&c when doing Aldgate first?

* According to my calculations, my fastest route would be 5-10 minutes quicker - depending on your run speed...

Anyway - despite spoiling some fun - I do appreciate your publishing of this route.

Speaking of routes - I never figured out why Geoff and Neil got stuck in Waterloo waiting for a NB Northern train (for 11 minutes) last year. Knowing their "track" record I'd expect to find a profound reason for that being part of the route - but so far I've failed... Anyone got an idea?

HÃ¥kan
proud member of the "66 Feet Under" tube racing team.
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

I met with Andrew when he was appealing for people to do a run with him.

The Goodge Street- Russell Square run took about 7mins

Charing Cross was faster then running between the two as you'd have to go out of the station then run between the two then back into Embankment. Last time also there was a train staright away

It was just the first train as Embankment that decided.
lazza747

Post by lazza747 »

[quote="hwolge"]Speaking of routes - I never figured out why Geoff and Neil got stuck in Waterloo waiting for a NB Northern train (for 11 minutes) last year. Knowing their "track" record I'd expect to find a profound reason for that being part of the route - but so far I've failed...[quote]

That was just the route we had on the day - I can't even remember it off the top of my head to be honest but the Northern line was rubbish that day. 13 minutes?! I don't think we did the Waterloo area very efficiently but we might have won if we'd caught the train what was leaving the platform as we ran onto it. Oh well :)

Anyway, I'm actually slightly annoyed that Anthony has published a Zone 1 route - all this planning and then someone gives the solution out to everyone!
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

All this planning? What are you planning for if Zone 1 on 20th May are you planning a route from every station or has Anthony revealed a part of your route that is good?
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

Hmm, I recognise some of the pressures from my own route. I'm not at all sure about that Euston change though.

My own planning has its comedy runs as well though, and one bit that's rather dubious (but if it comes off will make the whole thing quite funky).
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

it was because we did the 'southern loop' in a non-standard way, and actually ran between lambeth north and southwark. jubilee to waterloo, and then change their to go north on the northern.

if it wasn't for the northen Line letting us down, i think that that route was good for a 2 hours 55 minutes finish.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Anthony was not the first person to come up with this route. In fact it is identical to the route used by Steve Paull when he won the first Tube Challenge last year.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Geoff & Neil,

I looked further into the Waterloo Northern NB connection. I actually found a most decent route from Vauxhall ending in Old Street :!: , with the Northern NB from Waterloo - interesting... :idea:

However, my estimate is that you must run between Lambeth North and Southwark in about 3:30 (or about 10 km/h) to make it worthwhile... Too fast for me (nowadays).
HÃ¥kan
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
lazza747

Post by lazza747 »

joy54 wrote:All this planning? What are you planning for if Zone 1 on 20th May are you planning a route from every station or has Anthony revealed a part of your route that is good?
I meant planning the day and organising everything, not our route.
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Hi again,

When I said I would post a route "soon", I was planning for "soon" to mean "imminently after May 20th" :wink:

If I can make it on the 20th, I'll try to do a route as close as possible to my 2:45 route, but lots of the starting stations would cause problems.

Such as Regent's Park.......