Desktop challenge!

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Desktop challenge!

Post by Going Underground »

OK my tuppence worth....

1) We stick with the original rules, for some reason a perfectly good challenge has been hugely complicated for no good reason
2) With Tube Olympics going on this year we have enough challenges already so lets defer until 2017
3) When someone has finally calculated the actual maximum number of stations and route(s) please post here (Based on the initial rules/criteria please...
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Hakan's put through his ten 129 Snakes under the initial criteria - I'm counting that as solved.

I think the next new challenge to be attempted should really be the Rainbow Challenge, that's been such a long time coming! But yes, defer until 2017. The thing about the Snake, though, is it doesn't require extensive route planning beforehand!!

This longest snakes that do not cross over themselves (initial criteria) and snakes using extra modes business was simply down to idle curiosity. It won't really happen!
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

The Orange One wrote:West Croydon is two separate stations, so all the Tramlink does is make the Wimbledon finish extremely long.
not sure what you mean Hugo - tram isn't a station at West Croydon - just caught a few yards outside of the Overground station, but through a gate line, so in breach of the rules I believe.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

So not a separate station, but not a "valid" interchange due to a gateline? Right.
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

That's how I read it, yes.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Unlike at Wimbledon where they call at a platform inside the complex, at West Croydon you have to go outside onto the road to get the tram. Plus it's in breach of the gateline rule, so I'd say that was very clear cut!

As trams don't call at tram stations but tram stops, of course it's not a station.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

So what do you mean by "West Croydon is two separate stations"?
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I was not being pedantic - I see I should have said "West Croydon is a station and a tram stop, separate from each other".
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Ah right I see - it confused me :)
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Any news on the mass attempt at this?

COYR
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

OMG! Whilst being bored and having a look at this, I found a 167 for the all TfL Modes Route! It is:
Epping :arrow: Woodford :arrow: Stratford (via loop) :arrow: Romford :arrow: Upminster :arrow: Mile End :arrow: Liverpool Street :arrow: Baker Street :arrow: Wembley Park :arrow: Rayners Lane :arrow: Acton Town :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: West Brompton :arrow: Clapham Junction :arrow: Canada Water :arrow: Canning Town :arrow: Poplar :arrow: West India Quay :arrow: Bank :arrow: TCR :arrow: Warren Street :arrow: Oxford Circus :arrow: Notting Hill Gate :arrow: Paddington :arrow: Willesden Junction :arrow: Highbury & Islington :arrow: Whitechapel :arrow: Westminster :arrow: London Bridge :arrow: Stockwell :arrow: Victoria :arrow: South Kensington :arrow: Piccadilly Circus :arrow: Charing Cross :arrow: Leicester Square :arrow: Covent Garden

Please tell me if it's wrong!

In regards to my last post, I forgot this was not going to be until 2017 at least! :roll:

EDIT: Thanks to GKR, this is now a 169!
Last edited by Tube Geek on 18 Jul 2016, 21:22, edited 2 times in total.

COYR
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I think it is still possible to increase that by quite a lot. I can't believe Covent Garden is the best finishing station.

For a start, you can go Bank - Tottenham Court Road - Warren Street - Oxford Circus - Notting Hill Gate, which adds two stations. When the Goblin reopens you can go Willesden - Gospel Oak - Blackhorse Road - Highbury - Whitechapel which adds another five, for a total of 174.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

208 :D

Epping :arrow: Woodford :arrow: Stratford (via Hainault) :arrow: Romford :arrow: Upminster :arrow: Mile End :arrow: Liverpool Street (via Central) :arrow: Baker Street :arrow: Wembley Park (via Jubilee) :arrow: Rayners Lane :arrow: Ealing Common :arrow: Ealing Broadway :arrow: Notting Hill Gate :arrow: Gloucester Road :arrow: Gunnersbury :arrow: Gospel Oak :arrow: Blackhorse Road :arrow: Highbury & Islington :arrow: Whitechapel :arrow: Westminster :arrow: London Bridge :arrow: Stockwell :arrow: Victoria :arrow: South Kensington :arrow: Green Park :arrow: Bond Street :arrow: Oxford Circus :arrow: Warren Street :arrow: Leicester Square :arrow: Holborn :arrow: Bank :arrow: Canary Wharf DLR (not stopping at West India Quay) :arrow: Poplar (stopping at West India Quay) :arrow: Canning Town :arrow: Canada Water :arrow: Clapham Junction :arrow: West Brompton :arrow: Wimbledon :arrow: Beckenham Junction
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Going Underground wrote:OK my tuppence worth....

1) We stick with the original rules, for some reason a perfectly good challenge has been hugely complicated for no good reason
2) With Tube Olympics going on this year we have enough challenges already so lets defer until 2017
3) When someone has finally calculated the actual maximum number of stations and route(s) please post here (Based on the initial rules/criteria please...
It's nearing 2017.... Any possible dates?

COYR
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Tube Geek wrote:
Going Underground wrote: When someone has finally calculated the actual maximum number of stations and route(s) please post here (Based on the initial rules/criteria please)..
It's nearing 2017.... Any possible dates?
Once this has been confirmed we can look at something
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold