Desktop challenge!

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Sorry about the quality of the routes! As I wrote before, I had to do lots of cut and paste manually to publish them. Howevehr the routes should be OK apart from the "typeos"...

It's quite conceivable that I completely missed out on the 18th route when I did the editing.
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Yes times have been set for the snake challenge please click link as follows.. :D

http://www.tubechallenge.com/forum/view ... 6&start=75

Also can someone please check my maths on Hakan route 16 as per attached link, even including Charing Cross I can still only make this 128 :?

http://lund.dyndns.org/palantir/Route129.txt
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

By my count route 16 is 129 if you include Charing Cross.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

greatkingrat wrote:By my count route 16 is 129 if you include Charing Cross.
Thanks I must have missed something somewhere, if you get time could you just list the stations for me so I can see where I have gone wrong :)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

To save space here is every 10th station

10 Hainault
20 Mile End
30 Shadwell
40 Temple
50 Waterloo
60 Euston
70 Regents Park
80 Wembley Park
90 Park Royal
100 Notting Hill Gate
110 High Street Kensington
120 South Ealing
129 Heathrow Terminals 123
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

For the sake of completeness I should now point out there are another 8 routes, making the total 26.

In Hakan's list there are 8 routes going Stockwell - Waterloo - Elephant - Bank (missing out Southwark) and 8 routes going Stockwell - Elephant - Waterloo - London Bridge - Bank (missing out Borough). However you can also do Stockwell - London Bridge - Waterloo - Bank (missing out Lambeth North). I think when Hakan did the list the W&C was still closed so he did not include these routes.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

greatkingrat wrote:I think when Hakan did the list the W&C was still closed so he did not include these routes.
I didn't think of it at the time - but that's exactly what happened. Well spotted!
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Re: Desktop challenge!

Post by Tube Geek »

In quite possibly the biggest bump ever, I would just like to point out how this is now different, as T5 us open, and the ELL us closed. What us the new max? I have a 107 (fourth attempt!)
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

T5 would add one more station on to any routes finishing at Heathrow (so the 129 station route becomes 130). However I don't think the absence of the ELL makes any difference as (IIRC) it only connected to the rest of the network at Whitechapel and wasn't long enough to justify using.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

It also connected at Canada Water (as it does now!) - without looking at Hakans routes I think it may well have been used as provided a useful "detour" to add some stations in...
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

The old 129 route started Epping - Woodford - Hainault - Mile End - West Ham - Canada Water - Whitechapel. Don't know what the maximum is now but will almost certainly be less.

Would be interesting to see what the maximum is including Overground, DLR, Tfl Rail as well. Would guess that is at least 160, you could add in places like Upminster and Walthamstow.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

When someone has worked it out I would like to set up a challenge day for this :P
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I wrangled 158 for all modes marked on the map (with a trial and error method, using the "stations with different barriers or with different names are different stations" rule) - with the following:

Epping :arrow: Woodford :arrow: Stratford (via Hainault) :arrow: Romford :arrow: Upminster :arrow: West Ham :arrow: Canning Town :arrow: Poplar :arrow: West India Quay :arrow: Bank :arrow: London Bridge :arrow: Canada Water :arrow: Whitechapel :arrow: Tower Hill :arrow: King's Cross St Pancras :arrow: Holborn :arrow: Tottenham Court Road :arrow: Warren Street :arrow: Oxford Circus :arrow: Piccadilly Circus :arrow: Leicester Square :arrow: Waterloo :arrow: Elephant and Castle :arrow: Stockwell :arrow: Victoria :arrow: South Kensington :arrow: Green Park :arrow: Wembley Park :arrow: Rayners Lane :arrow: Ealing Common :arrow: Ealing Broadway :arrow: Notting Hill Gate :arrow: Gloucester Road :arrow: Gunnersbury :arrow: Gospel Oak :arrow: Blackhorse Road :arrow: Seven Sisters :arrow: Hackney Downs :arrow: Chingford.

Curious how it ends up with the two stations so close together!! Some clever spacing would have to be employed (or flipping the route into reverse and dispatching challengers on every other train) to ensure challengers have a decent chance of getting a good connection at Romford.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Nice bump!

Going back to my computer, but writing a new program using WTT from last fall (but TCR manually reinstated), I reran the task and found 132 to be maximum. This is weird, since it used to be 129 and the only "new" stations are T4 and T5... As far as I can see the old number should had been 130, rather than 129, or what?

Here is the route:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mvs7zimq0kbt ... 2.pdf?dl=0

there exists a minor variation between London Bridge and Kennington (Borough, Elephant & Castle, Lambeth North, Waterloo) and it looks something like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yyc6k3i9zpna ... 2.png?dl=0
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Between 70 and 71 you went straight from Farringdon to Euston Square having passed through King's Cross St Pancras earlier.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.