Desktop challenge!

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Re: Desktop challenge!

Post by Tube Geek »

Going Underground wrote:Let me know when re-worked Hakan and note to all.... I will set a day for this but to remain consistent with the original challenges will be LU only.....
I'm probably going to be in London sometime between 27th March and 6th June, as our Friends & Family railcard runs out soon so we (my family) will make the most of it. So anytime between them will be best for me!
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

hwolge wrote:128 is the final score (10 different routes - all Epping to T5)...

List and map will be published tomorrow
And here they are, all 10 unique routes:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/26u056nik2ex0 ... 8.xls?dl=0

As you can see, 8 of them involves W&C line and were missed out on last time around...

With such different routes, maybe some type of competitive event would make sense?
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Blimey, when was the last time Hakan posted on the forum? :)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

tubeguru wrote:Blimey, when was the last time Hakan posted on the forum? :)

Yesterday. :D

COYR
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

hwolge wrote:And here they are, all 10 unique routes:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/26u056nik2ex0 ... 8.xls?dl=0

As you can see, 8 of them involves W&C line and were missed out on last time around...

With such different routes, maybe some type of competitive event would make sense?
I think the numbering of the lists doesn't agree with the numbering of the pictures. Possibly they're in reverse. For example: pictures for route 1 and 2 don't use the Waterloo & City line, but these are routes 9 and 10 in the lists. Another example: route 10 in the list is the only one to continue from London Bridge to Southwark, but this is route 1 in the pictures.

The Heathrow configuration means these routes are one way only, so you must start at Epping and there's no variation until you get to London Bridge. So, for the challenge, would everyone go together until London Bridge and then it's up to each team to pick its preferred route?
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Historically, this was staggered start - challengers depart Epping every twenty minutes on the same route (connecting well with the 20 minutely Woodford via Hainault), and attempt to catch up the team in front without being caught up by the one behind, am I right?
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

DrainBrain wrote:I think the numbering of the lists doesn't agree with the numbering of the pictures. Possibly they're in reverse. For example: pictures for route 1 and 2 don't use the Waterloo & City line, but these are routes 9 and 10 in the lists. Another example: route 10 in the list is the only one to continue from London Bridge to Southwark, but this is route 1 in the pictures.
Sorry, got them reversed in the listing. Linked document is now corrected!
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Any news on the dates/possibility of the mass day event of this?

COYR
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

And here is a list of all (in my mind) reasonable starting stations and the maximum count and number of possibilities achievable for a snake. However, in theory, the optimum start station does not necessarily have to be an end station - one can e.g. easily imagine a topology where there are no end stations! Anyway, I'm convinced that in the LU case, the end stations are the only candidates (some of them, like Mill Hill East, could easily have been excluded for obvious reasons).
128 10 Epping
127 4 Harrow & Wealdstone
127 10 Heathrow Terminal 4
127 10 Heathrow Terminal 5
126 4 Upminster
125 22 High Barnet
124 22 Edgware
124 4 Hammersmith (H&C Line)
124 6 Cockfosters
122 22 Mill Hill East
122 18 West Ruislip
121 12 Morden
120 6 Walthamstow Central
119 10 Wimbledon
118 12 Chesham
118 12 Amersham
118 20 Richmond
117 12 Uxbridge
116 12 Watford
113 12 Brixton
112 10 Kensington Olympia
110 22 Stanmore
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Looking at the result, I think the definition of the snake is dubious. Should it really be allowed to cross over/under its own path? I really think not!

So the new desktop challenge is to find the longest snakes that do not cross over themselves (according to the official map - crossing over within stations, by foot or rail, does not count as crossing).

Any takers?
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

hwolge wrote:Looking at the result, I think the definition of the snake is dubious. Should it really be allowed to cross over/under its own path? I really think not!

So the new desktop challenge is to find the longest snakes that do not cross over themselves (according to the official map - crossing over within stations, by foot or rail, does not count as crossing).

Any takers?
:shock: :shock: *faints at the prospect* :wink:

COYR
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Well, seeing as you lose the via Harrow and Ealing Broadway and have to go to Acton if you want to keep that loop in, I'd imagine you immediately lose the Heathrow finish as sensible.

It shouldn't be too hard to get the maximum because we have our eyes on our side now!
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

The Orange One wrote:Well, seeing as you lose the via Harrow and Ealing Broadway and have to go to Acton if you want to keep that loop in, I'd imagine you immediately lose the Heathrow finish as sensible.
That's well spotted. Without giving everything away, I can say that Epping is still start (or finish - since every route not involving Heathrow is reversible). Any snake not using the north-eastern-most part of Central Line is at least 5 stations less (Cockfosters <-> High Barnet).
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

hwolge wrote:Looking at the result, I think the definition of the snake is dubious. Should it really be allowed to cross over/under its own path? I really think not!

Any takers?
How precise do we need to be about crossings? Do we just go by the tube map, or by real life? For example, the southern end of the Bakerloo line crosses the Northern line Charing Cross branch at Lambeth North, but the tube map shows them coming together at Charing Cross. I'm sure there are many more such instances.

Also, lines often cross very near to, rather than at, stations, meaning an apparently simple line change at a station can actually be a crossing.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I think we should treat every place where two lines cross, but do not interchange at either of the two stations (e.g. Warren Street and Euston) as a crossing, and every interchange as a single blob (e.g. Piccadilly Line from Caledonian Road to King's Cross St Pancras does not cross the Victoria or Northern Lines until it reaches King's Cross St Pancras, where it meets at an idealised single blob).

If so, then I have the following:

Epping :arrow: Woodford :arrow: Stratford via Hainault :arrow: Waterloo :arrow: Elephant and Castle :arrow: Stockwell :arrow: Victoria :arrow: Mile End :arrow: Bank :arrow: Euston (also possibly with a Farringdon diversion) :arrow: Tottenham Court Road :arrow: Holborn :arrow: Leicester Square :arrow: Charing Cross :arrow: Piccadilly Circus :arrow: Gloucester Road/South Kensington :arrow: Notting Hill Gate :arrow: Oxford Circus :arrow: Baker Street :arrow: Wembley Park :arrow: Rayners Lane :arrow: Acton Town :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: Wimbledon

at 117 - someone should check this. Can anyone do better?