Bottle challenge - 24th July 2006

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Let's not consider it cancelled; those who are still up for it can meet at {somewhere} at {some time or other} on that day!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Starkey7 wrote:Let's not consider it cancelled; those who are still up for it can meet at {somewhere} at {some time or other} on that day!
Agreed I have the day off work and Dr Who and Editorsfoot are still up for it as far as I know..... :D

If anyone else reading this thread want's to join in the fun then please mention here :D

If tc does decide not to come then we will have to make a joint decision on whether the starting station should be pre-determined or drawn at a meeting point... :)

Obviously if tc can make it then we will go with 1st plan to nominate starting station beforehand..... :P
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Just out of interest, GU, where would you want to start if you had the choice?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Starkey7 wrote:Just out of interest, GU, where would you want to start if you had the choice?
Hmmm now you are asking Starkey, probably Knighstbridge or Sloane Square. How about you :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

I could say Bayswater here due to personal reasons, but I suspect that that might mess the ending up. The Paddington turn around and the Queensway run are fabulously easy and I wouldn't want not to include them! I'd probably go for Knightsbridge, or possibly Bank.
In fact the Bottle Challenge seems less and less open-ended the more I look at it!
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

I'm still up for the bottle on the 24th, as for starting I'm easy, as I will either have to catch the train up to victoria or park up at New Cross Gate or North Greenwich and come in on the jubilee.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Good it's on then... :D

We will wait and see what tc is doing and sort a meeting time and place towards the end of next week :P
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Starkey7 wrote:I could say Bayswater here due to personal reasons, but I suspect that that might mess the ending up. The Paddington turn around and the Queensway run are fabulously easy and I wouldn't want not to include them! I'd probably go for Knightsbridge, or possibly Bank.
In fact the Bottle Challenge seems less and less open-ended the more I look at it!
Actually Bank would be interesting as I haven't tried a bottle from that starting point yet :D
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Would that make it a bottle Bank then?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

tubeguru wrote:Would that make it a bottle Bank then?
Groans and laughs at same time, you gonna join us then Neil we are also making a video at the same time :wink:
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Hmm, even more miffed (slightly) that I won't be there now.

Can I ask why you're making a video, and what it's going to capture?
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Root wrote:Hmm, even more miffed (slightly) that I won't be there now.

Can I ask why you're making a video, and what it's going to capture?
It will capture all the drama and exitement of a Tube Challenge, a sprint around the L.U. :D
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

A tube challenge video? Well, a few have been done (i.e. Geoff's documentaries, the still-work-in-progress District Line Dub video), but if done well it should be good.

I reckon a spoof documentary of the "Laps of Soho" challenge would be brilliant. We could make out it's a life ambition to win it, and that we'd all been in training for years to build up to this one moment.

And by "we", for added effect we could include someone like me, who doesn't look like he knows the meaning of the word "training".

And can I ask, is it weird to refer to oneself in the third person in the above manner I just did?
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

I've just spent part of the week trying to avoid appearing in a video for teach first teacher training!!

Annie Mole's blog had a good link to a video where some students attempted to leave an Glasgow subway train at one station and catch it at the next, well worth a look. At least I made some students work reasonably hard this week.

Anyway roll on the holidays and the bottle challenge.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Hmm has anybody heard about the Run Faster Than A District Train challenge? It's explained on Geoff's fabulous Alternative Challenges page, and the idea is to alight from a Wimbledon-bound train at South Kensington, and run from there to West Brompton, and rejoin the same train.

I've no idea whether it's actually possible. Are there any volunteers to try it out?