Queensway closed : How it affected Zone 1 2005 day

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
geofftech
All Zones

Queensway closed : How it affected Zone 1 2005 day

Post by geofftech »

Queensway station is shut from May 7th this year for 12 months meaning that for the Zone 1 day, we won't be able to start there, you won't be able to change there, and trains will just pass through it, presumably at 5mph.

Hakan has intuitively posted in another thread the three possible ways of dealing with those that wish to finish at Queenway, those being:

1) Exclude Queensway completely from the Challenge

2) Rule that Queensway cannot be the last station to visit - rendering the attempt void if you do the 63 other ones first!

3) Rule that Queensway is done when the train passes the station. Should this be the 64th station then exact timing procedures need to be defined. Perhaps stopping the clock when you see the station name when passing? Or when the train stops next (i.e Notting Hill Gate or Lancaster Gate)?

So.. what does everyone think? I think that option [3] is actually the best, as long as we can agree on a timing point. And my suggestion for the timing point is when you've entered and left the station again, and you hit the tunnel darkness again... so obviously being in front carriage would help here!

Anyone got any better ideas?

It's just a pain that you won't be able to change, because the whole Bayswater -> Queenway thing is a cert for most routes. But not this time!
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Now, that IS annoying. I vote for option 2, which seems to be the same as option 1, since it's almost irrelevant if you're passing through it anyway.

That has thrown quite a big spanner into the works. A 30mm one, perhaps, or maybe a 16" pair of Stilsons.
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
Adham
Zone 4

Post by Adham »

I would prefer suggestion three, and also say that this rule should apply even for station by station timings. If finishing there, the moment you hit tunnel darkness again, no matter where in the train you are, that is when the clock stops. It should not be excluded from the challenge as it is only temporarily closed for rebuilding, and there is a clause about that in the Guinness rules.
Though, if we are using this timing system, I see no reason why Queensway could not be a starting station as well. You would board the first train at Notting Hill Gate, pass through Queensway and start the clock when you first re-entered the tunnel.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Good points, Adham. I suppose that excluding it is a bit silly.
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

Personally I think the Queensway closure is a very big spanner in the works. Running to certain other station from Queensway was a crucial part of my route!
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

I think it was a crucial part of everyone's route!
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

CrunchySaviour wrote:I think it was a crucial part of everyone's route!
I'd be quite worried if it wasn't, unless of course they were starting or finishing there.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

I think it's going to make the whole day even more interesting, and a real test to people's skills!

We're unlikely see the 'record' time broken however, but it will be interesting afterwards comparing routes to see what everyone did to get around it.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Even if it was broken, it wouldn't be a new record (I've been waiting to say something like that) !

But this Queensway business does seem like it will increase everyone's time.

I am going to seriously enjoy my post-challenge beer on the day. From what I've read on the web, it's a Samuel Smith pub, and Samuel Smith's Best Bitter is (in my opinion) one of the finest around. In fact, forget the challenge, I'll just sit in the pub all day!

I can't wait!!!!
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

I would agree that I don't think the record will be broken whilst Queensway is closed (unless of course someone is very very lucky with the Circle/Wimbleware Lines!)
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Despite the fact that I first introduced the main alternatives, I do have a (well founded) opinion as well:

For sake of simplicity I would prefer to say that BOTH first and last stations should be OPEN, which means I'll vote for option 2 of my original suggestions.

I think option 1 is bad since it's not a subset of Guinness rules - everyone seems to agree here.

I think option 3 becomes a bit fuzzy if you use tunnel entry or such as a trigger. From a Guinness perspective, I would say that you CAN'T finish in a closed station because of the newly introduced independent stop watch rules. (I'm NOT saying WE should apply independent stop watches though...)

Regardless, I think the organizers should decide soon, so we know the rules well in advance!

HÃ¥kan
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

I'm meeting TubeGuru down the pub on Friday of this week, and we'll come up with a decision!
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

So, how did it go? :?: Too much beer and too little shop? :P

Anyway, we're waiting to hear your decision...

HÃ¥kan
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

well, the thrilling news is that Neil & I have agreed that option 2 is the way to go and what we'll do.

considering a 'pass through' you HAVE to do it, but you just can't finish there. attempts will be void if it's the last station! if you do do this your timing point will instead be either Notting HIll or Lancaster Gate.

i'll update this on MY site tonight. don't hold your breath for tubeguru though!! :-)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

geofftech wrote:well, the thrilling news is that Neil & I have agreed that option 2 is the way to go and what we'll do.

considering a 'pass through' you HAVE to do it, but you just can't finish there. attempts will be void if it's the last station! if you do do this your timing point will instead be either Notting HIll or Lancaster Gate.

i'll update this on MY site tonight. don't hold your breath for tubeguru though!! :-)
Cheeky bugger :-)

Yes, Queensway is not going to be a starting or finishing station. Just pass through it was if it wasn't there.

And that's final.