Only to the friend/acquaintance I am on the tube with
10%
Only with people wearing an 'I'm Up For A Chat On The Tube' badge
3%

Total votes: 29

TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Going Underground wrote::lol: 4 or 5 road runs scheduled, our 3 was more than enough :!:
The Euston to Euston Square run is not fun, especially if you dont know which way to go from Euston :?

Your time was only about 10 minutes outside our and you all looked cool as cucumbers while our team were dripping in sweat, well I was anyway :roll:
Heh - that's one of the reasons we didn't bother rushing :D

I can't specifically remember the original route I planned but the runs involved were something along the lines of the Aldgates, the Paddingtons, the Edgware Roads, Euston Square to Warren Street (*much* shorter than Euston to Euston Square), Regents Park to Great Portland Street, and Covent Garden to Temple. Yes, seriously!

And planning the original route I first thought of worked out at 3h07m, unfortunately I lost it as my PC crashed before I had a chance to save it :(

But it'd be interesting to see how quickly a Z1 challenge could be done, specifying that certain runs must be worked into it. Like those six.
Going Underground wrote:I take it you probably missed all the hassle on the Victoria Line :?:
Yes indeedy! We did Vauxhall to Euston, before going on to Leicester Square, Kings Cross, Bank, Notting Hill Gate, Bayswater, Earls Court and finishing at Hyde Park Corner, so beat all that kerfuffle by quite a margin.

Ironically enough, before the start, when we were frantically working out a route at Sloane Square, Neil advised us not to to Vauxhall to Euston on the Vic line as you'd cover all of those anyway, and it was him and Stephen that got caught out by its closure ;)
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

I wore the badge on the tube on Saturday, and just kept getting asked for directions. I might have well just put a tourist information sign on my head.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

TheFatBuoy wrote:Ironically enough, before the start, when we were frantically working out a route at Sloane Square, Neil advised us not to to Vauxhall to Euston on the Vic line as you'd cover all of those anyway, and it was him and Stephen that got caught out by its closure ;)
I said "Victoria to Euston", not "Vauxhall to Euston". Try doing Zone 1 without using the Victoria line!
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Just checked out the TFL walk from Covent Garden to Temple, 14 minutes :shock:

I have immediately scrapped this from any possible plan :!:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Holborn to Temple is a MUCH better idea, especially for you non-runners. Not only do you not have to worry about lifts, but also buses are EXTREMELY frequent from Holborn down Kingsway and they all stop in front of KCL (the former Aldwych Station), which is a short downhill walk away from Temple. Alternatively, they also stop on Aldwych itself.
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
hannah b
Zone 1

Post by hannah b »

G Force wrote:I wore the badge on the tube on Saturday, and just kept getting asked for directions. I might have well just put a tourist information sign on my head.
sorry!

hehe.

South London Press want to run an article on "Up For A Chat"! That's good isn't it? I feel smiley.

Does anyone have any quotes for my website? About the project?

Think I will use G-Force's (who are you in real name terms?)... I like to paint a true picture of badge affect!

Hx
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

G Force was my partner for the day - Stephen Knight.

Member of sweet FA
travelpass
Zone 2

Post by travelpass »

Last summer while I was on the tube on a short journey from King's Cross to Covent Garden, we chatted happily about what we were going to be doing over the next few days in London. We got so many funny looks of of our otherwise conversation less carriage. :shock:

However, in April just past, I was in London with another friend, and we were again, happily chatting away about our journey (Notting Hill Gate-Bond Street) and we had to talk loudly over the noise of the people next to us who were having a rather loud conversation. :!:

The only person I have talked to on the Tube was a woman on the northern Line who told me that I'd "Get better pictures on the other side of the train", while I was waiting to get a nice picture of another train passing us at speed.

She even tapped me on the knee. :shock:
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Hi Hannah :)

Possibly the quickest pass on of a badge :?:

Antony in the TNT team collected a badge from you at Oxford Circus and passed this onto to the guy from the aussie press we met on the Eastbound Sloane Square platform right at the start of the challenge...

This then led to him coming to the pub in the evening for a story for his newspaper (none of us seem to know which one though :( )

We then met you around an hour later at Picaddily Circus and got another badge :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

^Excellent work!

The best use of my badge & stickers came on a Northern line train heading into Euston. The train was very crowded and Pete & I weren't sure which side of the train (left or right) the doors would open, so we were potentially stuck behind a crowd of people. We ended up on opposite sides of the carriage. An American in a suit noticed my "accessories" and asked "What's a Tube Challenge?" to which I explained. I then mentioned the "Up For A Chat" campaign, and we ended up talking from Old Street right into Euston, where he told us "You're in the right carriage, and the exit is just on your right". Fantastic! Saved us a fair bit of time. He also ended up talking to a couple of Canadians (don't think they knew each other), and we spoke to them as well. So that was three people in one journey, and it helped our challenge a lot :).

Other than that, we spoke to two ladies who thought we were coming onto them on a Bakerloo line train... I didn't say it, but they were a little too old for Peter and myself - they were at least in their thirties!
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

Mate 30's if fine for me. im not fussy! haha jokes.i have a strict limit of birthdays between 15th May 1984 and 17th May 1984.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I believe that the Aussie guy that I gave my badge to was from Sydney and he said he was a freelance journalist.
hannah b
Zone 1

Post by hannah b »

Yep, he said he was freelance.
I'm glad the badge helped come down. I wonder if he's taking the article to the Aussie papers?

Can I use your stories on my site? I'll only use first names.

FRIDAY GUYS! PAGE 3! SOUTH LONDON PRESS! WOO!

I tried to get in about tube challenge, but he didn't seem to really be listening to me :(
bloody press, eh? (hehe. what do i know?)

Hx
hannah b
Zone 1

Post by hannah b »

also, i haven't done a circle line pub crawl yet!
can we do one over the summer?
Hx
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Hannah - I did a write up on my blog - http://www.purpletube.com.

You can use that if you like.

Member of sweet FA