The Zone 1 Challenge 2006 Register of Attendance

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

The Zone 1 Challenge 2006 Register of Attendance

Post by Nutteronabus »

Right. I think this is everyone so far. Reply if I've left you off, and e-mail me if you haven't already!

Jack Welsby is doing the starting station honours once again (so thanks once again for that!)

Zone 1 Challengers
Chris Presswell (ooh, that's me!)
Håkan Wolgé
Patrick Sillén
Johan Idh
Niklas Lagesson
Damian Cook
John Stark
Neil Blake
Mark Scott
+friend
John Sanders
+Rob
+Chris
Samuel Robinson (possibly +1)
Oliver Lewisohn
+Pete
Peter Stean
Jon Justice
Andrew Baker
+friend
Ric Brackenbury
+friend(s)
Senji
+beard
Kevin Brown
Antony Brown
Jamie Brown
Peter Smyth
Pete Miller
Hannah B
Pete Lupton
Martin (Tangy)
James Gommon
Rosie Gommon
+friend

...and yes, team names are required! The prize for best team name this year is ever so slightly special!

Post-Challenge Piss-up Attendees
Anthony Smith (+1)
Sam Cawley
Steve Wilson
G Force (whatever his name may be!) (Edit: Stephen Knight - tubeguru)
Annie Mole (whatever HER real name may be!)

I'll continually update this in the next week!
Last edited by Nutteronabus on 19 May 2006, 00:51, edited 13 times in total.
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

Incidentally, Neil, can you pin this one?

Ta.
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Sign me and my team up.

Ric Brackenbury (+x) where x is a number somewhere between one and three probably.

All depends on how many pass my gruelling admission test.....
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Can you give us a sample question?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

Do you know which way round you hold this thing? (with a tube map) perhaps
- Andrew
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Team tpfkar admission test

PAPER 1

Equipment: You will need only a pen and a tube map. A way out map may be provided at your request.

Time: Candidates should attempt to complete the paper in less than 3 hours, however missed out questions must be gone back to and completed before your script may be handed in.

Read carefully through all questions before beginning. Credit will be available for good spelling and grammar, mainly to disqualify any ********* who may be passing. Do not turn over until instructed.

Section A: Tube Etiquette

1)You are running to get your next train which you can see entering the platform. However there is a large crowd of Japanese tourists blocking your path. Explain how you would ensure that you and your team make the connection.

2)You are running at speed down an escalator, however one person as ever is standing on the left blocking your way. How would you deal with them if
a) they were an elderly lady
b) they were a 6 foot 3 bouncer
c) they were a Japanese tourist
d) they were another Zone one challenger.

3)Most of the way round the challenge, you find yourself caught short. You have a drinks bottle with you. Explain how you would deal with this crisis. You may find it helpful not to draw a diagram.

4)You are at Earls Court and ask the member of staff on the platform when the next Edgware Road train will be. He/she looks at you blankly. What techniques would you use to coax any useful information out of them?

Section B: Zone One Awareness

1)Given that LUL stated that Queensway would reopen in May, when do you anticipate it re-opening (to the nearest 6 months will be fine)?
2)Which line is the least likely to be going anywhere fast on the Zone One day? And is that the Charing Cross branch or the Bank branch?
3)Given that the following have all happened to Ric on Tube Challenge atempts/Zone One Days, which is the most likely, and which the most serious?
a)bomb alert closing the station you're running to.
b)suspicious package causing train to sit around for 10 minutes before they decide some silly woman ahas left her handbag on the tube.
c)emergency cord being pulled, taking your train (and line) out of service.
d)trains terminating at the next station without warning.

Choose one of the above options, and explain what you would do if it happened on the challenge at a general location.
[Bonus credit: How much faster would Ric have been on Zone One last year without b) on his final train?]
4)Is it faster to do the circle line clockwise or anticlockwise? How does this help inform a Zone One route?
5) Can you get round the whole system in 17h 10 mins? Have you?
6)If a train is signed in 5 mins on the Central Line, and 5 mins on the Northern Line, which will arrive first, and on average by how much? (Answers in hours accepted)

Section C: Challenging Aptitude
1)You get to Earls Court. There's nothing signed to Edgware Road. Someone on your team suggests running to High Street Kensington. What is your immediate reaction?
2) Do you appreciate the shortcomings of the Way Out Map dealing with different stock on the Circle and District Lines? Could you care less?
3)Your ticket gets stuck in the machine as you go into a station. Do you urge your team-mates to go on or cry like a baby until the staff let you in?
4)
a)'Severe delays on the Piccadilly Line' Would this affect the route you choose?
b)'Severe delays on the Piccadilly and Central Lines' Elaborate your answer further.
c)'Severe delays on the Piccadilly and Central Lines, Metropolitan line suspended anywhere we want to go.' how would you deal with this?
d)''Severe delays on the Piccadilly and Central Lines, Metropolitan line suspended anywhere we want to go, and the District line is part suspended because of leaves on the line/staff shortage/bad weather/signalling problems/trains on the line etc." Continue your answer.
e)Now describe how you would change your route on a *bad* day.

Tie-breaker: Complete in 20 words or less:
I'd be perfect in Team tpfkar because.........

successful applicants will be contacted further :)
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Myself (Sam Cawley) and Steve Wilson will also be attending the post-challenge festivities in the pub. We cannot make the actual challenge due to University.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

<b>Applicant: Tubeguru</b>

1)You are running to get your next train which you can see entering the platform. However there is a large crowd of Japanese tourists blocking your path. Explain how you would ensure that you and your team make the connection.

<b>Barge the bastards out of the way - we're on a mission!</b>

2)You are running at speed down an escalator, however one person as ever is standing on the left blocking your way. How would you deal with them if
a) they were an elderly lady
b) they were a 6 foot 3 bouncer
c) they were a Japanese tourist
d) they were another Zone one challenger.

<b>C</b> (see answer to 1)

3)Most of the way round the challenge, you find yourself caught short. You have a drinks bottle with you. Explain how you would deal with this crisis. You may find it helpful not to draw a diagram.

<b>Piss out the window at the end of the car with points for style</b>

4)You are at Earls Court and ask the member of staff on the platform when the next Edgware Road train will be. He/she looks at you blankly. What techniques would you use to coax any useful information out of them?

<b>I wouldn't even bother - just watch the little arrows</b>

Section B: Zone One Awareness

1)Given that LUL stated that Queensway would reopen in May, when do you anticipate it re-opening (to the nearest 6 months will be fine)?

<b>2007</b>

2)Which line is the least likely to be going anywhere fast on the Zone One day? And is that the Charing Cross branch or the Bank branch?

<b>All lines not coloured orange</b>

3)Given that the following have all happened to Ric on Tube Challenge atempts/Zone One Days, which is the most likely, and which the most serious?
a)bomb alert closing the station you're running to.
b)suspicious package causing train to sit around for 10 minutes before they decide some silly woman ahas left her handbag on the tube.
c)emergency cord being pulled, taking your train (and line) out of service.
d)trains terminating at the next station without warning.

<b>D is most likely and most serious</b>

Choose one of the above options, and explain what you would do if it happened on the challenge at a general location.
[Bonus credit: How much faster would Ric have been on Zone One last year without b) on his final train?]

<b>Get out and wait for the next train. Do I detect excuses?</b>

4)Is it faster to do the circle line clockwise or anticlockwise? How does this help inform a Zone One route?

<b>Who cares?</b>

5) Can you get round the whole system in 17h 10 mins? Have you?

<b>No and no</b>

6)If a train is signed in 5 mins on the Central Line, and 5 mins on the Northern Line, which will arrive first, and on average by how much? (Answers in hours accepted)

<b>A train signed as 5 minutes on the Jubilee will beat both of them</b>

Section C: Challenging Aptitude
1)You get to Earls Court. There's nothing signed to Edgware Road. Someone on your team suggests running to High Street Kensington. What is your immediate reaction?

<b>Panic</b>

2) Do you appreciate the shortcomings of the Way Out Map dealing with different stock on the Circle and District Lines? Could you care less?

<b>Yes and no</b>

3)Your ticket gets stuck in the machine as you go into a station. Do you urge your team-mates to go on or cry like a baby until the staff let you in?

<b>Neither - I run past you with my Oyster, laughing gleefully at your general uselessness</b>

4)
a)'Severe delays on the Piccadilly Line' Would this affect the route you choose?
b)'Severe delays on the Piccadilly and Central Lines' Elaborate your answer further.
c)'Severe delays on the Piccadilly and Central Lines, Metropolitan line suspended anywhere we want to go.' how would you deal with this?
d)''Severe delays on the Piccadilly and Central Lines, Metropolitan line suspended anywhere we want to go, and the District line is part suspended because of leaves on the line/staff shortage/bad weather/signalling problems/trains on the line etc." Continue your answer.
e)Now describe how you would change your route on a *bad* day.

<b>a - situation normal
b - situation normal (honestly)
c - situation normal - you learn to deal with it
d - situation normal - who's got the chocolate?
e - wing it</b>

Tie-breaker: Complete in 20 words or less:
I'd be perfect in Team tpfkar because.........

<b>I'm better than Ric and he needs all the help he can get</b>

Do I win?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I will be there so please add to the register for checking next Friday Sir!

Kevin Brown + Antony Brown + Jamie Brown (Team name TBA)
looking forward to seing you all there...... :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Ric, that is ABSOLUTELY inspired! It wins this month's Golden Crunchy Saviour award for Extraorinary Procrastination.

Chris - yes, +1 confirmed.

I can also confirm that the "best team name" prize is rather good indeed (albeit completely pointless!)
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I'll be +1 - Pete obviously hasn't emailed you yet.

We can keep team names under wraps until the day, can't we? Wouldn't want to ruin the surprise!
Last edited by Root on 26 Jan 2012, 23:09, edited 2 times in total.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

I'll be at the pub, but can't get the time off work to do the challenge.
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

in my true tube history... i cant be arsed to email. so will this do?? im teaming up with Root.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Does it look like this is going to be a bigger turn out than 2005 :?:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

Going Underground wrote:Does it look like this is going to be a bigger turn out than 2005 :?:
I think it might!