All the terminals

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
RJSRdg
All Zones

All the terminals

Post by RJSRdg »

As I got to Cannon Street (the first time!) early last Saturday, I decided to catch a train across the river and back again as I realised it was the only surviving Zone 1 terminus I'd never travelled out of!

Which set me wondering - is there a record for travelling to/from all the Zone 1 terminals in the shortest time? I suppose the challenge really ought to include a Blackfriars terminator, a train to/from the terminal platforms at London Bridge and a non-Thameslink service to/from St Pancras (presumably using HS1 otherwise you'd wind up in Kettering or even further afield!).
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
al
Zone 6

Re: All the terminals

Post by al »

It sounds like there should be, including those "extras" as you suggest! I wonder how much you would end up going out and in of all the termini though, rather than hopping across lines at the outer points?
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

There was a challenge to do all Zone 1 NR stations a few years ago. It was a really fun challenge.

Results here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2852&start=120#p79208

I don't think it meets your precise definition, but it's similar. Obviously you can browse that thread for more details.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Kings Cross is getting harder to do. Since the Thameslink changes there are now only 2tph that stop at Finsbury Park, anything else is non-stop to at least Stevenage.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

greatkingrat wrote: 29 Sep 2018, 17:29 Kings Cross is getting harder to do. Since the Thameslink changes there are now only 2tph that stop at Finsbury Park, anything else is non-stop to at least Stevenage.
Unless you do the challenge at a weekend, as currently all Great Northern / Thameslink services are going in to Kings Cross (they've seemingly given up on the concept of through services).
- Andrew
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Yeah, it was the terminals that gave inspiration for that challenge. Increasing it to all of Zone 1 made it more interesting and reduced arguments about what is considered to be a terminal!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

You should do it including a trip on every UK TOC that serves it- come on - it's not that hard, the furthest you'd have to go is Luton Airport Parkway, York, Stevenage x2 and Milton Keynes Central (discounting Scotland on the sleeper) :D
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000