Christmas Park Challenge 2018 - 15th December - Finsbury Park

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
xcooler123
Zone 5

Re: Christmas Park Challenge 2018 - 15th December - Finsbury Park

Post by xcooler123 »

Going Underground wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 14:52 Do we have any idea on engineeing works taking place and ideally would like this on this on the closest Saturday pre winter wonderland which is mentioned as late November - I wont be doing a full network fo CiN this year BTW
Any particular reason or have you just had enough of them?
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

xcooler123 wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 21:58
Going Underground wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 14:52 Do we have any idea on engineeing works taking place and ideally would like this on this on the closest Saturday pre winter wonderland which is mentioned as late November - I wont be doing a full network fo CiN this year BTW
You can only go to the donation bowl so many times really with the same thing and am now in double figures on these so just going to cut down to Tube Olympics + I no longer own a car which makes things pretty tricky start / finish wise
xcooler123 wrote: Having done some research, Winter Wonderland is from Thursday 21st November 2019 - Sunday 5th January 2020. This is annoying in itself (before we even talk about the actual event!) as it slots perfectly into the gap traditionally between Round 2 (Saturday 16th November 2019 is CiN weekend) and Round 3 (normally 2nd weekend in January, so Saturday 11th January 2020).

Looking at the long term planned closures (these are subject to change but it's what we have), CiN weekend has quite a bit of the sub-surface out of action. This fine for R15s but could make Parks Challenge an already long and torturous challenge even longer plus not being able to complete some stations. Therefore, it seems pointless to move it for the Parks Challenge.

However, the potential Round 3 date currently has no LU engineering works and very minimal other engineering work on the rest of the network. Therefore, this could become the Parks Challenge date with Round 3 moving back to the 'traditional' Parks Challenge date in December. Winter Wonderland would probably affect an R15 less than Parks because you can stay underground and trains should still stop at stations. Access to stations in the vicinity of Winter Wonderland, particularly later on in the day, is the hard bit.

If that was the case, the calendar for the start of the year would look like this -
  • Round 1 - Saturday 21st September 2019 (most likely date from recent Facebook conversations)
  • Round 2 - Saturday 16th November 2019 (CiN weekend)
  • Round 3 - Saturday 7th/14th December 2019 (TBC)
  • Parks Challenge - Saturday 11 January 2020
This seems the best solution regarding spacing of challenges but of course the final decision rests with the BERC. Hope this helps at least.

EDIT - Just seen the comments above which tie in with a lot of what I have said :lol: :lol:

On a slightly unrelated note, I was in The Sheaf next door to Borough market the other night and it's a modern pub which has dart boards you can book out! Prices for food/drink are not cheap as you can imagine for the area but it's 2 mins walk from London Bridge station and the drinks choice is large for all tastes. Maybe somewhere to try out at some point. Link below for anyone interested.

http://sheaf.london/about/
Top work David :D I am happy to go 11th January for parks challenge assuming the engineering works are OK and would love to try the pub out you found.. TBH prices at The Bricklayers are a joke now was £5.00 for lager last visit and I think cider may have been more?
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Another option is to start at Hyde Park Corner or Green Park then you would be out of the area before the main crowds arrive.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

greatkingrat wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 20:01 Another option is to start at Hyde Park Corner or Green Park then you would be out of the area before the main crowds arrive.
Saving the central starts for when we have used up all the outer ones :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
roblo97
Zone 3

Post by roblo97 »

Going Underground wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 12:28
xcooler123 wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 21:58
You can only go to the donation bowl so many times really with the same thing and am now in double figures on these so just going to cut down to Tube Olympics + I no longer own a car which makes things pretty tricky start / finish wise
xcooler123 wrote: Having done some research, Winter Wonderland is from Thursday 21st November 2019 - Sunday 5th January 2020. This is annoying in itself (before we even talk about the actual event!) as it slots perfectly into the gap traditionally between Round 2 (Saturday 16th November 2019 is CiN weekend) and Round 3 (normally 2nd weekend in January, so Saturday 11th January 2020).

Looking at the long term planned closures (these are subject to change but it's what we have), CiN weekend has quite a bit of the sub-surface out of action. This fine for R15s but could make Parks Challenge an already long and torturous challenge even longer plus not being able to complete some stations. Therefore, it seems pointless to move it for the Parks Challenge.

However, the potential Round 3 date currently has no LU engineering works and very minimal other engineering work on the rest of the network. Therefore, this could become the Parks Challenge date with Round 3 moving back to the 'traditional' Parks Challenge date in December. Winter Wonderland would probably affect an R15 less than Parks because you can stay underground and trains should still stop at stations. Access to stations in the vicinity of Winter Wonderland, particularly later on in the day, is the hard bit.

If that was the case, the calendar for the start of the year would look like this -
  • Round 1 - Saturday 21st September 2019 (most likely date from recent Facebook conversations)
  • Round 2 - Saturday 16th November 2019 (CiN weekend)
  • Round 3 - Saturday 7th/14th December 2019 (TBC)
  • Parks Challenge - Saturday 11 January 2020
This seems the best solution regarding spacing of challenges but of course the final decision rests with the BERC. Hope this helps at least.

EDIT - Just seen the comments above which tie in with a lot of what I have said :lol: :lol:

On a slightly unrelated note, I was in The Sheaf next door to Borough market the other night and it's a modern pub which has dart boards you can book out! Prices for food/drink are not cheap as you can imagine for the area but it's 2 mins walk from London Bridge station and the drinks choice is large for all tastes. Maybe somewhere to try out at some point. Link below for anyone interested.

http://sheaf.london/about/
Top work David :D I am happy to go 11th January for parks challenge assuming the engineering works are OK and would love to try the pub out you found.. TBH prices at The Bricklayers are a joke now was £5.00 for lager last visit and I think cider may have been more?
I’m in the Sheaf right now and I can report that there are 2 dartboards, and some top notch sport on the TV, currently T20 Blast Cricket. Air con works good as well, currently having a pint of craft beer at £6.20, I suspect others would be cheaper though!
R15 PB: 2:23.23
DLR PB: 2:00:50
Bottle PB: 02:30:30
Tramlink PB: 1:55.37 (Cheers David!)
Triple Crown: 7:00.13
FNC: 18:42:50 (Cheers Andi and Josh!)
Park: 8:29:35
Z1: 02:45:54
2018 Z1 winner!
Parkrun PB: 26 minutes something