Random 15 Championship 2018/19: Round 1

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: Random 15 Championship 2018/19: Round 1

Post by tractakid »

I'll be heading to South Norwood parkrun that day now :)
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

tractakid wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 22:17 I'll be heading to South Norwood parkrun that day now :)
Be your first time in daylight :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

tractakid wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 22:17 I'll be heading to South Norwood parkrun that day now :)
It's a lovely run - and you can play on the trams too :D
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Going Underground wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 12:15
No! scrxisi and I explored the park a couple of years ago and between us decided it would be an excellent place to hold a parkrun. Low and behold... someone else thought the same!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

tractakid wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 18:57
Going Underground wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 12:15
No! scrxisi and I explored the park a couple of years ago and between us decided it would be an excellent place to hold a parkrun. Low and behold... someone else thought the same!
Oh yeah I remember that now!
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Ahoy shipmates.

Ye Olde Bricklayers Arrrrms has been confirmed as the finishing port, with a new dartboard which we can weather in. Squawk!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Can't be there. Good luck. And don't **** it up.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
alexmcmotor
Zone 1

Post by alexmcmotor »

Sailing the choppy waters: GU, xcooler123, michael_churchill, RJSRdg, roblo97, tractakid, nozzacook & nozza jnr, alexmcmotor + Simon
parrrrrrkrun @ ?? : GU = Peckham Rye, xcooler123, tractakid, nozzacook & nozza jnr
Spoons @ ?? : GU = The Kentish Drovers, xcooler123, roblo97, tractakid, nozzacook & nozza jnr

Looking forward to seeing you all again!
6 FNC Attempts
5 Completions: PB 17:52:44

R15 Victories: 2015-16 R5, 2018-19 R4
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Almost certainly my worst R15 ever!

This was a somewhat unusual R15 as Cannon Street (LU) - our starting position - somehow managed to appear on the list twice necessitating a second visit.

My first mistake was - having got myself close to the barriers before the clock ticked round to 12:30 - attempting to enter the station through the out barrier rather than the in!

Down on to the platform and caught a westbound Circle. With hindsight this was my second mistake - I should have caught an Eastbound to Monument and doubled back to get the second visit to Cannon Street out of the way. As the train was busy I did not have sufficient room to unfold my London Connections map so I attempted to derive my route from memory of the map (mistake 3)! Westward through Blackfriars to Victoria (having made at least two more mistakes on the way - one of which turned out to be crucial!). Down the Vic to Vauxhall and back up again, shouting some directions to some lost young ladies in one of the corridors as I passed. Got back on to the westbound subsurface and let a Richmond train go so I could catch the Wimbledon train behind it. The two ladies caught up with me and asked me why I had been running, so I explained the challenge to them and showed them the list. "Why didn't you go up to Green Park while you were on the Victoria Line?" one of them asked (mistake number 6!). The ladies jumped off at Sloane Square, I carried on round to West Brompton , doubled back to Earl's Court, down to the Picc, along to Hammersmith, then to Stamford Brook on the District, back to Hammersmith, where a good run on the traffic lights got me on a Circle to Baker Street (via Wood Lane and Ladbroke Grove). At Baker Street, directed a group of young ladies who were wanting to get to St James's Park (for Buckingham Palace) on to the Jubilee Line, advising them to get off at Green Park and walk from there. At Green Park, they were still confused as to whether they needed to get the Victoria and Circle to SJP, so rather than rushing off down to the Vic, I explained to them (again) that all they needed to do was to go out of the station and across the park. Then I ran down to the Vic platforms to find that as a result of helping the ladies I'd just missed a train, fortunately there was another not far behind. Up the Vic to Warren Street, back down to TCR, across through St Paul's to Bank, where I briefly got lost in the station (nearly winding up on the W&C platforms) before leaving the station through Exit 9 and running back to Cannon Street. By now my ticket appeared to have demagnetised (despite my purchasing a non-magnetic phone case specially) so I was held up waiting for the gate to be released. Eastbound train to Monument, then up the Northern. I had planned to catch a Northern City Line train from Moorgate but a glance at my phone told me it was exactly 14:40 so I would have a ten minute wait. Instead I stayed on the Northern to KXSP, then up the Vic again to Finsbury Park via Highbury & Islington and back down the Picc to Arsenal where I jumped off the train with a time of 2:29:33. Having missed out on a ride on the Northern City Line earlier (which, north of Essex Road is 'new track' for me), I opted for a leisurely return to the Bricklayers via Finsbury Park and Moorgate. However at Finsbury Park I discovered the next Moorgate train wasn't for another half hour so rather than wait that long, I went back to Warren Street via the Vic then having spent some time in the clammy atmosphere of the Deep Tube, I opted to walk to the Brickies rather than take the Northern. This was another mistake as by now it was raining quite heavily! Progress was slowed by umbrellas and by occasionally pausing for shelter under porches etc (along with a trip into Tescos for sustenance). Finally round to the Brickies, bought a drink and was about to sit down when Tangy called me up to his office to give him my route and time.

As I started to give him my route, I realised something which erudite readers may have already picked up - I had only visited 14 stations! Charing Cross is not on the Circle Line! Tangy muttered about disqualification, but I realised there were still only three hours 10 minutes on the clock (i.e. I was still 50 minutes inside the time limit). Leaving my drink on the table and my bag under it, I ran out of the pub and down to TCR, then two stops south to Charing Cross, hopping off the train moments before the station clock ticked round to 15:53, giving me a time of 3:22:58, which was enough to raise me from potential disqualification to last place!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

That's true dedication to go back out there!
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

My first random 15 for 3 years and we myself and daz took it slow we didn't rush to the platforms so we decided to head westbound at a nice gentle pace because my knee is still not 100% found it difficult to go up escalators and stairs and I don't like carrying weight backpacks etc.

Off at Victoria and what have they done to a nice easy connection at Victoria its horrible I must re scout that for a full network one day. Because northbound came in we headed to green Park then down to vauxhall followed by Michael Churchill.

Somehow we got a 12.58 out of vauxhall he got 13.08 how that happened not sure but Clapham Junction my least favourite station but we had to wait again for a train to west Brompton. Quick change at earls ct saw an Ealing Broadway train depart so waited for the Richmond stopped Michael getting on wimbo train sportsmanship there.

DB Stamford Brook to Hammersmith ran between the 2 Michael decides to go up Euston Square at this point we decided to dB ladbrook Grove to White City via wood Lane. Because Daz wanted a picture ot st Paul's cathedral we walked to blackfriars then dB cannon St again. Back to embankment changed at Warren St uo to Finsbury then dB to arsenal stopping the watch very slow at 2h 48m 06s
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

This was the closest finish to an R15 that I have seen. At Earls Court, 7 of us met up on the westbound platform. Kev, Nozza, Junior, David, Andrew, Hugo and myself. We only had Stamford Brook, Wood Lane and Ladbroke Grove to go. We all reversed at Stamford Brook and disembarked at Hammersmith for the short run between stations. Except David who stayed on the District to finish at West Brompton. Would his time be quicker than the rest of us at Ladbroke Grove?

I was first on to the waiting H&C train, then Andrew and Hugo. But by then the first train platform indicator had changed. Andrew and Hugo got off the train to check, Kev and co arrived and whilst they were all dithering, the doors closed and off I went alone. What a result and none of it my own work. Thanks chaps!
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

I wondered how Richard's time was even slower than my second-last place! The ironic cheer when I arrived at the pub made me think I was dead last.

Yes, the first part of my route followed Andi and Das, accidentally. It was good to get to talk to them about last week's film premiere.

So, I went Circle to Victoria, Victoria to Green Park and back to Vauxhall. At Vauxhall NR, I went straight to platform 3 because the sign says "trains to Clapham Junction". <rant> Do they have any displays at Vauxhall that show departures in chronological order? I could only see ones that tell you the next departure to about hundreds of locations which doesn't include Clapham Junction. </rant> The 1302 to Windsor & Eton was awaiting a driver, I had to wait for the 1307 to Teddington. At Clapham Junction I got straight onto an Overground train that departed within a minute - Andi and Das must have been waiting on it.

Then OG to West Brompton, District to Earl's Court, District to Stamford Brook (I might have avoided the Wimbledon train without Andi's help, but thanks anyway :) ) and back to Hammersmith. Over the road, where the platform indicator was accurate, for once. Here I decided to go all the way round to Euston Square then walk to Warren Street.

Northern to Charing Cross and back to Leicester Square, Piccadilly to Finsbury Park. I had considered the possibility of using the Northern City line to tick off Highbury & Islington but it seems several trains were cancelled Saturday afternoon and there wasn't one due. So, Victoria to Kings Cross, Northern to Bank, Central to St. Paul's. Walk to Mansion House, District to Cannon Street (again) to become the second person ever to end a Random 15 at the same station they started at. (i.e. one other guy on Saturday was faster than me)
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

Iain wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 09:53 That's true dedication to go back out there!
I wouldn't have bothered. No difference between last place and disqualified.
alexmcmotor
Zone 1

Post by alexmcmotor »

Well, Simon & I were hoping for an improvement on last year's opening round, but alas we only managed a matching 10th place performance.

We followed everyone Westbound from Cannon Street to Blackfriars, then returned, again with a lot of others, back to Cannon Street before hopping across to Bank, where we lost the pack on the Westbound Central platform. Through St Paul's, changing to Northbound Picc at Holborn took us up through Arsenal to Finsbury Park and then all the way back down the Vic through Highbury & Islington, Warren Street, Green Park, Victoria & Vauxhall, before surfacing for the short SWR ride to Waterloo. The change to the Bakerloo was a lot worse than I remembered, especially as we watched one leave Northbound. We took the next one through Charing Cross to Piccadilly Circus, where we returned to the Picc to take us Westbound down to Earl's Court, where facing a 5+ minute wait for a Wimbledon train, we decided to go on foot to West Brompton, which unfortunately did not make us any time up, as the train we would have caught at EC arrived and left before the next train in the opposite direction. This along with a poor reverse at Stamford Brook blew out any hopes of us catching anyone, although we did only have to wait a minute or so for our H&C to leave Hammersmith for Wood Lane & Ladbroke Grove giving us a final time of 2:17:35 (I think). While expecting a poor position, we were pleasantly surprised about how tight the field was.

See you all in November for Round 2 :)
6 FNC Attempts
5 Completions: PB 17:52:44

R15 Victories: 2015-16 R5, 2018-19 R4