Scavenger Hunt

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Scavenger Hunt

Post by michael_churchill »

In a similar way that there was a Triple Crown challenge last summer, I have my own idea for an "off-season" competition for this summer...

Scavenger Hunt - a list of tasks that can be completed with London's public rail transport network.

I have had ideas for 16 tasks. They may all be completed using any station or service shown on the current "London Rail and Tube services" map. That is, Underground, DLR, Overground, National Rail and Trams. Not riverboat services!

Some have simple instructions. Some require some general knowledge. Some require some transport specific knowledge, but probably can be researched (i.e. googled). Many will have multiple ways to complete and therefore require some route planning skills to fit them in with the others.

Complete as many as you can in two hours, with proof by digital photograph. For scoring, there would be a better score for more difficult tasks. I suggest four points if less than one quarter of contestants complete, three points if one quarter to one half complete, two points if one half to three quarters complete and just one point otherwise. There will be other bonus points attached to certain tasks.

As organiser and adjudicator, obviously I won't be competing, but I can tell you that one task will involve finding me somewhere on the network. There would be a fixed central starting point where I can hand out sealed lists of the tasks to competitors and a post-event meeting point for scoring and results - both undecided at the moment.

I guess a Saturday in July or August - engineering works can't prevent the event, but the less the better! I'll leave it up to you to suggest dates you would find suitable.

What do you think?
Will1
Zone 1

Re: Scavenger Hunt

Post by Will1 »

Sounds like a lot of fun to me!