Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tangy
Site Administrator

Re: Random 15 Championship 2017/18: Round 6

Post by tangy »

Sorry for late notification... the start station will be:

Goldhawk Road

Meet outside the station entrance.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

Another. Classic example of tangy choosing the worst starting station to the parkrun. Do you not think it be better to announce these a bit earlier I have said it many times and you don't listen!
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

dstock17 wrote: 29 May 2018, 17:03 Another. Classic example of tangy choosing the worst starting station to the parkrun. Do you not think it be better to announce these a bit earlier I have said it many times and you don't listen!
This was chosen at random by the generator (which I have no influence). I can only announce the starting station of a random start once the actual draw has been conducted (these are usually on the "normal" rounds). In a twist round the start station is selected there and then at the initial time of posting the event details.

Don't shoot the messenger!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

So round 6 is a normal round isn't it evens are normal why seeing as 1st post is may 13th. Why didn't u do draw the starting station then or next day before the speculation of which parkrun in London was chosen. I have said this many times and you are undecisive plus etc and don't take this as a criticism because I know what will happen.

I get rounded on for what I speak why is Walthamstow after event for zone 1 yes there are only advantages for organiser close to home etc. Not for people whom have to leave for various places in country ie bricklayers Arms very good for most terminus stations.

So why not change once in a while now I know that zone 1 and random 15 is ur organising thing but eh for once maybe it be an idea to let ie zone 1 for one year alternate with someone whom like to organise that way we have differant options and seems fresh.

Now before anybody has a go at me I do love tangy and he does do an amazing job as organiser each other year for each random 15 round and zone 1 but I have mentioned this many times the fact above of too close announcing to the events pick dates in advance and stick to them it's the main reason why I don't now attend random 15 events too little advance notice.

And yes that old chestnut random 15 is dying joke will be laughed at I mentioned it when the attendance was low a weeks notice of every event. Hardly good for non Londoners whom now can't get cheaper deals rail wise etc.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I get that you can't influence the generator or announce it until the generator has been run, but why can't the generator be run further in advance?
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

No-one forces you to go and do a parkrun in zone 6, most starting stations wouldn't be particularly close to Dagenham. Anyway, there is still enough time to do the parkrun, have breakfast, and still make it to Goldhawk Road for the start time.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

greatkingrat wrote: 29 May 2018, 19:38 No-one forces you to go and do a parkrun in zone 6, most starting stations wouldn't be particularly close to Dagenham. Anyway, there is still enough time to do the parkrun, have breakfast, and still make it to Goldhawk Road for the start time.
For the fastest of people yes don't forget a little bit of digesting time it's still a long way from elm Park to goldhawk Rd hence why not say this is starting station then if I decide to do Harrow Lodge as Mr tangy was well aware of beforehand. I might have changed to say Fulham Palace.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

I must admit I was a little late in announcing the start station for this, as I like to give out the starting station at least two weeks before the challenge.

The dates for this season's R15 have been published well in advance this year (both on here and the Facebook group), following previous criticism about the timetable of the events for the upcoming season and have been stuck to!

As for the pub Zone 1 pub, you try finding a Central London pub that will reserve a function room or a few tables on Friday evening... trust me I have tried without success. As of course Friday night is very busy. I remember doing a zone 1 pub meet at the Champion one year, we were all spread out and thus made it difficult to mkake the announcement and give out the prizes. This is one reason why I moved to more outer London pub, but is an easy 20 minutes away from King's Cross.

Tangy.
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

tangy wrote: 29 May 2018, 21:59 I must admit I was a little late in announcing the start station for this, as I like to give out the starting station at least two weeks before the challenge.

The dates for this season's R15 have been published well in advance this year (both on here and the Facebook group), following previous criticism about the timetable of the events for the upcoming season and have been stuck to!

As for the pub Zone 1 pub, you try finding a Central London pub that will reserve a function room or a few tables on Friday evening... trust me I have tried without success. As of course Friday night is very busy. I remember doing a zone 1 pub meet at the Champion one year, we were all spread out and thus made it difficult to mkake the announcement and give out the prizes. This is one reason why I moved to more outer London pub, but is an easy 20 minutes away from King's Cross.
2 weeks is not enough mate sorry but it needs to be 6 weeks in advance and I can understand why so book far in advance of what u can get in that way u can't get a no to pre book. But I have told u this I don't see previous advance knowledge of dates if so when is round 1 round 2 round 3 round 4 round 5 etc for next year. It helps I may just start Attending but I can't predate as sometimes I work I need notice in order to swap.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Let's get this season done and dusted first before thinking about dates for next season, of which I, as this season was, post advance dates of at least the first three events.

Tangy.
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

tangy wrote: 29 May 2018, 22:36 Let's get this season done and dusted first before thinking about dates for next season, of which I, as this season was, post advance dates of at least the first three events.
Then after June 2nd before 16th June can we please have all or if not at least rounds 1 to 3 in advance no offence and then rounds 4 to 6 at least before 2 weeks after round 1

I only say this and because of others who need travel expenses before and after to travel to London we need advance notice in order to get cheap deals rail etc or stay overs and I have seen no evidence of you unfortunately doing this. No offence but u live in London we don't u do a Gr8 job and have done for years in berc and bozo roles

but come on think about it I a former random 15 champion twice have said I won't attend due to the poor advance status of dates. Why commit to a championship if u can't do all 6 or at least 5.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The dates for next season are not normally revealed until the new football fixtures are published (as some challengers do plan their Tube Challenges around them).

Tangy.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

tangy wrote: 30 May 2018, 08:25 The dates for next season are not normally revealed until the new football fixtures are published (as some challengers do plan their Tube Challenges around them).
Premier League fixtures will be released on Thursday 14 June and Football League fixtures one week later, Thursday 21 June.
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

dstock17 wrote: 29 May 2018, 22:53
tangy wrote: 29 May 2018, 22:36 Let's get this season done and dusted first before thinking about dates for next season, of which I, as this season was, post advance dates of at least the first three events.
Then after June 2nd before 16th June can we please have all or if not at least rounds 1 to 3 in advance no offence and then rounds 4 to 6 at least before 2 weeks after round 1

I only say this and because of others who need travel expenses before and after to travel to London we need advance notice in order to get cheap deals rail etc or stay overs and I have seen no evidence of you unfortunately doing this. No offence but u live in London we don't u do a Gr8 job and have done for years in berc and bozo roles

but come on think about it I a former random 15 champion twice have said I won't attend due to the poor advance status of dates. Why commit to a championship if u can't do all 6 or at least 5.
As one of the people that travel the furthest it's nice to know the dates ahead but doesn't always mean I can attend. Due to work family commitments etc etc. Saying that I don't worry about trying to attend all 6 but come when I can and enjoy each day as a one off. And as said above we don't have to do a parkrun by Elm Park we choose to and even the slowest will still have time to run eat and make the start.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

I don't often find myself agreeing with dstock17 :), but I do think more advanced planning could be done.

It seems to me that the overall pattern of the six rounds is pretty much settled. Round 2 is normally fixed to be the day after Children In Need. Round 6 (or round 5 in an Olympic year) is fixed to the day after the Zone 1 cup, which is itself fixed to the week of school half-term. For the other 4, there are 2 or 3 possible Saturdays to choose from. If the decision is made to fit in around football, so be it, but I'm not a big football fan. By the way, would it be based on the teams that regular participants are fans of, or which London teams have home games? Personally, I'd prefer it to be decided on the amount of engineering disruption, and have the date fixed once the date of future works are known.

Let's look at the date of each round in the last four seasons...
Round 1 : 20 Sep 2014, 5 Sep 2015, 10 Sep 2016, 16 Sep 2017
Round 2 : 15 Nov 2014, 14 Nov 2015, 19 Nov 2016, 18 Nov 2017
Round 3 : 17 Jan 2015, 9 Jan 2016, 14 Jan 2017, 20 Jan 2018
Round 4 : 14 Mar 2015, 12 Mar 2016, 25 Mar 2017, 24 Feb 2018*
Round 5 : 18 Apr 2015, 4 Jun 2016 *, 22 Apr 2017, 21 Apr 2018
Round 6 : 30 May 2015, 23 Jul 2016 *, 3 Jun 2017, 2 Jun 2018
Those marked with * are anomalies in an Olympic year

So, except for Olympic changes, no more than 2 weeks between earliest and latest date.

Coincidentally, in the last two seasons, round 5 has been the day before the London Marathon. That was convenient for me this year as I had a family member running it. Could that be another "fixed point", or should it be avoided? Next year's marathon is Sunday 28 April.