Random 15 Championship 2017/18: Round 6

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
greatkingrat
All Zones

Re: Random 15 Championship 2017/18: Round 6

Post by greatkingrat »

Just to note that the Cannon Street Run is due to be a R15 this year, held somewhere close to 19 September. There seems to be three options of what we could do:

1. Round 1 of the 2018/19 championship starts from Cannon Street and doubles up as the Cannon Street Run. This would mean the Champions Twist round would need to be put back to Round 2.

2. Have the Cannon Street Run as Round 2 in September. This would mean Round 1 coming forward to late July / early August - probably not a good idea with holidays etc.

3. Keep the Cannon Street Run entirely separate from the regular Championship - this would potentially mean two R15s within a week or two of each other.

Any thoughts?
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Victoria Dock **removed**
Attending - xcooler123, GU, michael_churchill, roblo97, A2, tractakid,Dstock17
parkrun :: Harrow Lodge - GU, Iain, tractakid, Dstock17
Spoons Lord Denman, Dagenham Heath GU, roblo97, A2 (Thameslink permitting), Iain, Dstock17.

11:14 from Dagenham Heathway gets us to Goldhawk Road by 12:21 8)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Attending - xcooler123, GU, mechael_churchill, roblo97, A2, tractakid,Dstock17, nozzacook.
parkrun :: Harrow Lodge - GU, Iain, tractakid, Dstock17, nozzacook.
Spoons Lord Denman, Dagenham Heath GU, roblo97, A2 (Thameslink permitting), Iain, Dstock17, nozzacook.

11:14 from Dagenham Heathway gets us to Goldhawk Road by 12:21 8)
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
alexmcmotor
Zone 1

Post by alexmcmotor »

Attending - xcooler123, GU, mechael_churchill, roblo97, A2, tractakid,Dstock17, nozzacook, alexmcmotor + Simon
parkrun :: Harrow Lodge - GU, Iain, tractakid, Dstock17, nozzacook.
Spoons Lord Denman, Dagenham Heath GU, roblo97, A2 (Thameslink permitting), Iain, Dstock17, nozzacook
6 FNC Attempts
5 Completions: PB 17:52:44

R15 Victories: 2015-16 R5, 2018-19 R4
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

Because I was going to do this with daz and my noted objection to the late starting station announcement I will withdraw from r15 and concentrate on my work qualifications.
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

greatkingrat wrote: 30 May 2018, 15:37 Just to note that the Cannon Street Run is due to be a R15 this year, held somewhere close to 19 September. There seems to be three options of what we could do:

1. Round 1 of the 2018/19 championship starts from Cannon Street and doubles up as the Cannon Street Run. This would mean the Champions Twist round would need to be put back to Round 2.
I often start off the new season in mid September, so the date would fit as round 1. Just need to make sure the south side of the Circle is open to enable a Cannon Street start in the usual manner.
2. Have the Cannon Street Run as Round 2 in September. This would mean Round 1 coming forward to late July / early August - probably not a good idea with holidays etc.
This is the main reason I would rather not schedule tube challenge events in high summer, clashes with holiday time (unless in a Summer Tube Olympics).
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Apologies for the late confirmation, owing to family issues, but I can make the Challenge tomorrow!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

michael_churchill wrote: 30 May 2018, 14:37 If the decision is made to fit in around football, so be it, but I'm not a big football fan. By the way, would it be based on the teams that regular participants are fans of, or which London teams have home games? Personally, I'd prefer it to be decided on the amount of engineering disruption, and have the date fixed once the date of future works are known.
I'd say engineering works (in London) are probably less disruptive to an R15 than football fixtures. In the event of a line being closed due to engineering work, the stations affected are simply removed from the draw and the only 'inconvenience' as far as the event itself is concerned is the occasional need to find an alternative route between some of the random stations owing to a line closure. This effectively gives us a different network to play on every time, and helps prevent the challenge becoming stale!

Football fixtures on the other hand can cause problems if say Fulham Broadway, Finsbury Park or Wembley Park are involved and competitors wind up there during the busy periods before/after a match (I remember one competitor once got shepherded out of FB and all the way up to Stamford Bridge and back when all he wanted to do was change platforms!)

We can't really avoid either as dates without engineering work are very few and so are dates with no football fixtures in London. But they're both a part of what makes the Challenge what it is!
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

tangy wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 00:04
greatkingrat wrote: 30 May 2018, 15:37 Just to note that the Cannon Street Run is due to be a R15 this year, held somewhere close to 19 September. There seems to be three options of what we could do:

I often start off the new season in mid September, so the date would fit as round 1. Just need to make sure the south side of the Circle is open to enable a Cannon Street start in the usual manner.
This is the main reason I would rather not schedule tube challenge events in high summer, clashes with holiday time (unless in a Summer Tube Olympics).
That's fine for people whom live close to London but for those who don't are put off by inaction and lack of pre planning I have noted this objection for 3 years same argument just publish the dates in advance engineering works are pre planned football well that's just a hazard do it on a Sunday? If u publish an event in advance then people have more chance to either juggle work holidays to a better understanding if ur current way of thinking is no pre dates for rounds 1 to 3 by end of June then right now I go on record I Will Not attend any rounds in next season again.
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Having checked the scores from previous rounds, I knew that Tangy, Alex, Simon and I were all effectively level on 20 points (Alex and Simon had scored 21 but as their lowest score was a 1, this would be discounted if they had a higher score this time), with A2 on 22 and Kev on 25. Competitively I was aiming to at least pull ahead of Alex, Simon and Tangy, and hopefully overhaul A2 and possibly Kev in the table.

From the GOLDHAWK ROAD start, I headed to the northbound platform like everybody else. Noticing that a southbound train was due in before a northbound I briefly considered switching platforms to try an alternative strategy by knocking off South Ken first but a moments thought was enough to dispel that idea. On the northbound train with everybody else to LATIMER ROAD and LADBROKE GROVE (three stations ticked off in 8 minutes!), but while everybody else stayed on the train to do either the Royal Oak-Warwick Avenue run or went into Paddington and out again, I opted to disembark at Westbourne Park and look for a bus to Queens Park. I didn't find one, but after a short wait I found a 28 heading up to Kensal Rise. A traffic jam just around the first corner threatened to slow progress but the bus was soon underway. I bailed off the bus near Kensal Green Cemetery and ran to Kensal Green station (Tangy on a number 18 apparently passed me here), found a Bakerloo just pulling in and arrived at WILLESDEN JUNCTION with the clock showing a few seconds after 1pm. Spotting an Overground in the High Level platforms, I ran up the stairs and jumped on. The driver announced that there was a track fault ahead but that we would be under way in "2-3 minutes" and would then run fast to Gospel Oak.

At this point, I had no idea whether I was in the lead, last, or somewhere in the middle but shortly after the announcement, David, Clive, Rob, Josh and most of the other Challengers boarded (apart from Tangy, who having arrived at Willesden by bus needed to depart from the Low Level platforms). Still no sign of the train moving, though and gradually the other competitors changed plans and headed for the Low Level. Aware that the Euston train was due out at 13:15, I hung on up top for as long as I felt I could, but at 13:13 the driver announced that he had no idea when the train would be departing. So I legged it down to the Low Level with Josh and Rob to catch the slightly delayed Euston train, which I boarded with them and David, Clive, Andrew C, Rich G, Peter. Whilst we were waiting, we saw Alex and Simon heading up the stairs from the northbound platform to the High Level.

At Queen's Park, we were joined by Kev, Nozza, A2, Tangy and thus had a full complement (the issues at Willesden effectively acting like a "safety car" in bunching the pack up) apart from Simon and Alex for the run down to Euston, where we all somehow got through a crowd at the barriers, with most of us heading for the Northern Line. Here, David, Clive, Rich, Peter, Andrew C and I headed to ARCHWAY on a High Barnet train, then doubled down to Camden Town and up to CHALK FARM, while Josh, Rob and Tangy did the reverse. At King's Cross, David, Clive, Rich, Peter and I (we had lost Andrew C by then) ran up two flights of escalators followed by another short flight of steps to change to the Subsurface for BARBICAN, where David disembarked for a run and Peter switched to the westbound platform. At Moorgate, those of us who remained ran down to the Northern Line again (though I nearly came a cropper having taken a 'racing line' round a blind bend only to discover it immediately led to a downward staircase!) and after a short wait boarded a southbound train. The doors closed, there was a banging sound, they reopened and Andrew C joined the next carriage! Down to Bank and up the stairs to Monument, where we just (and perhaps crucially!) missed a westbound train. Hopped on the next through TEMPLE and BLACKFRIARS to EMBANKMENT where Rich and I headed north and Clive and Andrew continued west. Here, Rich and I both made mistakes - Rich headed down the Bakerloo Line escalator and I, nearly following him, realised what was wrong but made the mistake of verbalising my thoughts loudly enough for him to hear me! Down the *other* escalator and a three minute wait for a Northern Line train to TOTTENHAM COURT ROAD, then a very quick doubling back to Leicester Square. On to the Piccadilly for PICCADILLY CIRCUS and SOUTH KENSINGTON, eastwards on the subsurface to Victoria where Rich ran slightly ahead of me. He turned into the corridor to his left, I turned into the corridor to my left, expecting them to meet up. Instead, mine curved round in an arc to the northern end of the Victoria Line platforms, where I arrived with a train in the platform and boarded the rear of the train as Rich boarded at the front.

At BRIXTON, a cross platform change for both of us, I had a narrow section of platform to cross while Rich had quite a long corridor. However there was a wait for the train to depart, so we both boarded at our respective ends and reunited on the Northern line at Stockwell to finish together at OVAL with 2:35:59.

Conveniently our train to Oval was running up the Charing Cross branch so a handy run back to TCR!
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The results of round 6 of the 2017/18 Random 15 Championship held on Saturday 2nd June 2018, which was the season finale.

This was a normal round with only London Underground stations in zones 1 and 2 programmed into the generator. However there were no engineering works, so there was quite a spread of stations.

These were:
--Goldhawk Road (meet up)
--Brixton (LU)
--Barbican
--Oval
--Piccadilly Circus
--Archway
--Willesden Junction
--Temple
--South Kensington
--Tottenham Court Road
--Chalk Farm
--Latimer Road
--Ladbroke Grove
--Blackfriars (LU)
--Embankment

There was 15 challengers split into 11 teams:

11th: Alex & Simon Kneller- 03:00:29 at Archway
10th: Rob Lomas and Josh Nichols-Ageros- 02:53:29 at Blackfriars
9th: Michael Churchill- 02:46:46 at Archway
=6th: Clive Burgess- 02:43:35 at Brixton
=6th: Peter Smyth- 02:43:35 at Brixton
=6th: Andrew Chilcraft- 02:43:35 at Brixton
5th: Kevin Brown, Damian Cook and Andrew Baker- 02:41:34 at Brixton
4th: Tangy- 02:37:15 at Blackfriars
=2nd: Richard Standing- 02:35:59 at Oval
=2nd: Richard Graham- 02:35:59 at Oval
1st: David Edwards- 02:33:14 at Oval

Therefore the leaderboard at the end of the season is as follows:

1st: David Edwards (52 overall points) [6 rounds attended] *worst score of 7 deducted*
2nd: Peter Smyth (42) [5]
3rd: Andrew Chilcraft (37) [5]
4th: The Orange One (34) [5]
5th: Clive Burgess (33) [6] *worst score of 3 deducted*
6th: Kevin Brown (31) [6] *worst score was 0, no points deduction*
7th: Richard Standing (30) [6] *worst score was 0, no points deduction*
8th: Andrew Baker (28) [5]
9th: Tangy (27) [6] *worst score was 0, no points deduction*
=10th: Alex Kneller (21) [6] *worst score was 0, no points deduction*
=10th: Simon Kneller (21) [6] *worst score was 0, no points deduction*
=10th: Damian Cook (21) [3]
13th: Nick Gardner (16) [4]
14th: Richard Graham (11) [4]
15th: Josh Nichols-Ageros (9) [2]
=16th: Hugo Clague (7) [2]
=16th: Felix Andrew (7) [2]
=16th: Kat (7) [1]
19th: James Ross (6) [4]
=20th: Alisha Juszczyk (5) [1]
=20th: Rob Lomas (5) [4]
=20th: Michael Churchill (5) [5]
23rd: Rhys Benjamin (4) [2]
=24th: Myles Swaine-Grey (3) [1]
=24th: Glen Bryant (3) [1]
=24th: Matthew Cook (3) [1]
27th: Joshan (1) [1]
=28th: Mark B (0) [2]
=28th: Rhys Jackson (0) [1]
=28th: Phil Parker (0) [1]
=28th: Sam Inman (0) [1]

So, that means David Edwards is the Random 15 champion for the 2017/18 season.

Thankyou all that have attended Random 15 events throughout the season, albeit just the one or all six. We now take our summer break and will be back in September for another season.

Signed: Tangy
The BERC
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Thanks for organising and providing the prizes tangy :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Grateful for the prompt results Tangy. Was a shame to have to leave early. Bring on the next season!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Thank you Tangy for all your hard work this season to organise the events. Thanks to everyone else for turning up and making this season an excellent one.

My overall win was down to a couple of smooth events and not losing many points when I did muck up.

In terms of Round 6, my route was almost exactly the same as RJSRdg EXCEPT I gambled and did the rather unusual Barbican - Mansion House run (yes you read that correctly!). This got me a train ahead of 2nd place.

Now to think of a particularly EVIL twist :twisted: although I will confine it to London and no Virgin Trains...

NOTE - There were discussions in the pub afterwards (as per greatkingrat's suggestion above) for combining Round 1 and Cannon St Run R15 for Saturday 22nd September so there aren't 2 R15s within a few days. If the BERC agrees, the Champions Twist will be postponed to Round 2.
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

xcooler123 wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 15:59
In terms of Round 6, my route was almost exactly the same as RJSRdg EXCEPT I gambled and did the rather unusual Barbican - Mansion House run (yes you read that correctly!). This got me a train ahead of 2nd place.
Looking at that on the map, there's no way I could have done that in the time you did it (especially with my dodgy ankles), even if I had thought of it!

The other difference in our routes was that you did the Park Royal-Warwick Avenue run rather than the bus from Westbourne Park.