Iain's Tram Trials and Tribulations

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Iain
All Zones

Iain's Tram Trials and Tribulations

Post by Iain » 23 Feb 2018, 20:06

Given I'm probably the forum member who lives nearest, I should probably have tried a run earlier, but I didn't. I've spent a bit of time on it this week, and may spend more, so with that in mind, here's a thread.

First attempt write up:
Iain wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 17:08
Just back from a trip around the tramlink - it hardly seemed worth creating a separate thread.

I hereby declare the worst time yet of 2:13:49. It was always intended as a scouting trip but I figured I may as well record a time.

I started at Wimbledon, and quickly reached Reeves Corner. It was a short trip to Church Street, but I needed to go one more stop, which included a steep hill as many will know. I'd planned to go to Elmers End first, with a nice connection to Beckenham Jct. Sadly I'd massively over-allowed for this transfer, so either had to wait 8 minutes or gamble on a good connection off an unplanned BJ tram (oo-er missus). I decided to ride the first tram to Church Street, and to see if I could pick something vaguely useful up at Reeves, with the original Elmers train as a fall back. No luck at Reeves, so back to the planned tram.

This got held at a signal, which made the connection at Elmers tight but workable. I took the train to Clock House, then decided to see if making use of the nearby tram stop was a workable plan. Another 8 minute wait, which I used to scout for busses. Finally, the tram came, and I headed into BJ. I had looked at a zero minuter here, which categorically didn't work. The display indicated five minutes until the tram left, so I went looking for a toilet. I didn't take long, but the tram left at least two minutes before the time indicated by the display. So - ten more minutes wasted when I could have waited to pee, and then back towards Sandilands. A narrow miss here and another 8 minute wait for the Addington tram.

The tram went pretty fast, but the final time was slow. Then back into Croydon to scout the run from Centrale.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)

Iain
All Zones

Re: Iain's Tram Trials and Tribulations

Post by Iain » 23 Feb 2018, 20:23

Second Attempt: 1:56:48

Today went a bit better, but still not anywhere near to my 1:40 plan. I set out from Wimbledon a minute after the planned time, and the tram crawled, so after a bit of thought I decided to restart, as my planned run in Croydon looked iffy.Second time things went better, but checking my app as I reached Croydon, I realised I couldn't hang about. Today I managed to cross the road without having to wait for the tram, but as i passed Church Street, it showed three Wimbledon trains but nothing for Beckenham J. A couple passed me, and I arrived at George Street with 30 seconds to spare, but no BJ tram 0 unless I wanted to wait 8 minutes. I went for the Elmers End train, which looked like it might just connect, but due to some holds it didn't. I'd hoped for a quick double back to the BJ train a few minutes behind, but this had decided to terminate early, so causing further delay.

Looking at the indicators as we passed through the stops, there seemed to be quite an uneven spread of trams on the branch, and today there was quite a wait at BJ. After yesterday I skipped a visit to the coffee shop, but I'd have had time. We headed back to Sandilands. A sub 2 was possible with a quick turnaround there, abd the app showed one minute to go to the outgoing train t New Addington. The indicators said "due" on the opposite platform as my tram pulled on, so I crossed the tracks speedily just as the tram pulled in.

The home straight went without incident, and my hunger was sated with a visit to the nearby Gregg's.

I think my route's solid, so I may well give it another try soon!
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)