Tube Olympics 2018: Event 3- Tramlink

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tangy
Site Administrator

Tube Olympics 2018: Event 3- Tramlink

Post by tangy »

For event 3 of Tube Winter Olympics for 2018, we have a Tramlink challenge. This will be held on Friday 16th February 2018.

For this challenge all you need to do is to visit all 39 Tramlink stations in the fastest time using standard Tramlink Challenge rules as can be read here: www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge/tramrules.htm

There is no fixed start, you may commence your challenge at any Tramlink station you desire between 17:30 and 18:30. You have ONE attempt, once you have started your stopwatch and departed, that's it. There is no going back and starting again.

Post challenge head to The George (Wetherspoons), George Street, Central Croydon. This is very close to the tram station of the same name.

Competitors please make yourself known.

Tangy
the TOSA
Last edited by tangy on 19 Jan 2018, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
xcooler123
Zone 5

Re: Tube Olympics 2018: Event 3- Tramlink

Post by xcooler123 »

Attending : xcooler123
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Attending : xcooler123, GU
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

I am planning on using "contactless" as I have done for the first two Tube Olympic events BUT how does this work on the Tramlink? Where / when do you tap in and out?
Is this on the tram or at the tram stops?
Have only ever done this on Travelcard previously, thanks
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

Going Underground wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 12:33 I am planning on using "contactless" as I have done for the first two Tube Olympic events BUT how does this work on the Tramlink? Where / when do you tap in and out?
Is this on the tram or at the tram stops?
Have only ever done this on Travelcard previously, thanks
You only need to "touch in" before you get on a tram - fare-wise they are the same as buses. There are bright green Oyster readers on the platforms. Wimbledon is a little more complicated, but if you use the tram validator it will also "touch out" for a rail or tube journey that got you there.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Due to a late notification of shift changes, I cannot now be there in person for the challenge or to validate each teams route. Once you have finished please text and/or email me via Explorer Ticket your finish time, finish station and route. Medals will be held until the next event or can be collected at the closing ceremony on the 24th.

Many apologies for this.
Tube Olympics Supreme Admin
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Sorry to hear that Martin :( Depending on how my route goes I might still pop to The George afterwards for a "swift" one so may see some of you there?
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I'm on a tram!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Well I got totally screwed by some idiot at Wandle Park holding the doors, tram was held for around 4 minutes ending up with me missing my next connection and finishing in 4th place... :( God I hate the Tramlink it never seems to work for me :evil:
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

Well my day was eventful got up very early checked out the George for later on drinking and had horrendous wait in mc Donald's. Checked into Travelodge i had 3 plans of starting time I checked that tfl.gov.uk jp is rubbish so I took that into account. Originally I had hoped that the 17.29 would be held up just long enough so I could officially start my watch but alas as per the rules it left 20 secs earlier so let go thought about 17.39 but another tube challenger went on that so I didn't want to have same route.

So in end I settled plan c. 17.59 knew it take precisely 24.5 min to Reeves corner got off ran up the hill to George St Beckenham j Tram in platform ran on exhausted panting thinking yes my only tight connection was done but alas no something about a lorry which hampered others further down line. Tram taken out of service record all but vanished because of 1 inconsiderate lorry driver. Waited for next beck j then ran no luck with buses again all way to Elmers end 3 min wait next 20m timings all gone to pot got back to sandilands and waiting cost me winning 3 mins in end but bronze position. Got plans for this May attempt in future now i know some tricks for it
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

dstock17 wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 08:26 but bronze position
I thought you were Silver :?: By a few seconds??
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Going Underground wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 14:40
I was Silver by a few seconds :) I have sent the results to Tangy as well
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

xcooler123 wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 14:48
Going Underground wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 14:40
I was Silver by a few seconds :) I have sent the results to Tangy as well

Ah sorry, I was in a bit of a rush :!:
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Just back from a trip around the tramlink - it hardly seemed worth creating a separate thread.

I hereby declare the worst time yet of 2:13:49. It was always intended as a scouting trip but I figured I may as well record a time.

I started at Wimbledon, and quickly reached Reeves Corner. It was a short trip to Church Street, but I needed to go one more stop, which included a steep hill as many will know. I'd planned to go to Elmers End first, with a nice connection to Beckenham Jct. Sadly I'd massively over-allowed for this transfer, so either had to wait 8 minutes or gamble on a good connection off an unplanned BJ tram (oo-er missus). I decided to ride the first tram to Church Street, and to see if I could pick something vaguely useful up at Reeves, with the original Elmers train as a fall back. No luck at Reeves, so back to the planned tram.

This got held at a signal, which made the connection at Elmers tight but workable. I took the train to Clock House, then decided to see if making use of the nearby tram stop was a workable plan. Another 8 minute wait, which I used to scout for busses. Finally, the tram came, and I headed into BJ. I had looked at a zero minuter here, which categorically didn't work. The display indicated five minutes until the tram left, so I went looking for a toilet. I didn't take long, but the tram left at least two minutes before the time indicated by the display. So - ten more minutes wasted when I could have waited to pee, and then back towards Sandilands. A narrow miss here and another 8 minute wait for the Addington tram.

The tram went pretty fast, but the final time was slow. Then back into Croydon to scout the run from Centrale.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Official results for the Winter Olympics 2018 Tramlink Challenge held on Friday 16th February 2018.

5th: Richard Graham: 02:04:31
4th: Kevin Brown: 02:00:50
3rd: Andi James: 01:51:58
2nd: David Edwards: 01:51:09
1st: Andrew Chilcraft: 01:48:19

Signed: Tangy
Tube Olympics Supreme Admin

Tangy.