Mouse

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
RJSRdg
All Zones

Mouse

Post by RJSRdg »

A job interview in London this afternoon (internal vacancy, so counted as a work-related journey) gave me a 'free' Travelcard for today. Having given some thought over the weekend as to which mini-challenge I might like to try this evening, I woke up this morning with a sore knee and decided against doing one. Though for some reason I picked my stopwatch up anyway....

Came to London, did the interview, went for a ride on a 15H as it's a long time since I did that, then stopped to decide what to do next. Decided to attempt the Mouse after all as it was one I hadn't done before and a quick glance at a Tube map gave me a route I could do without any long runs. So down to Kennington, change platforms, start the watch as the doors close.

Kennington > London Bridge > Waterloo > Lambeth North > Waterloo > Camden > Euston > Euston Square > Moorgate > KXSP (owing to poor door position, arrived on the platform just as a Picc was pulling out - 3 minute wait) > Covent Garden > Holborn > Bank (very fortuitous, unplanned door position put me bang opposite the correct exit, up round and through to Cannon Street - just as the pelican crossing outside the station changes! Wait of at least a couple of minutes ensues before I can cross. Over and down to the platform - DMI is blank but after a couple of minutes tells me the next WB Circle is in two minutes - quite a long two minutes. Whilst waiting, three trains go the other way!) , on to Temple for a time of:

1:37:37

18th on the leaderboard, 2 seconds quicker would have put me 15th and perhaps if it hadn't been for the pelican crossing, maybe top 10. Owing to my knee/ankle issues and the fact I was wearing uncomfortable formal shoes and interview clothes, I did very little running while door positions were completely unplanned. So maybe a route I will return to in future....
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Mouse

Post by Going Underground »

I think this may be in Tube Winter Olympics???
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

That's what I was trying to remember! If so, I may well dust this route off again - unless, of course I come up with a better one!
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

Remember though that you probably don't get to pick the starting station in Tube Olympics.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

DrainBrain wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 08:32 Remember though that you probably don't get to pick the starting station in Tube Olympics.
Will be drawn a few days prior I would think...
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I wasn't sure - though it depends on the event. I know the All Lines has a free choice of start - Andrew C played a blinder last year by changing his start partway through the run!

And there's another station which with hindsight I reckon could have given me a quicker route - in fact it would be easy enough to adapt to any of the stations south of the River, or of course work in reverse from Temple, which gives about a 25% chance of it being useable.