Cannon Street Run XII - Talk Like a Pirate Day 19th Sept 2017 - Ye Olde Bottle

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Cannon Street Run XII - Talk Like a Pirate Day 19th Sept 2017 - Ye Olde Bottle

Post by Going Underground »

Avast yee swabs!!!!

It be time for ye annual voyage around those choppy waters of the underground again and we be sailing and heave ho to weigh anchor on the 19th at 8 bells (18:30) from the port at Cannon Street

Hoisting of the mainsail can be delayed if need be due to a favourable waters and tide turning that evening.....

Ye must dock at all ports in ye Olde Bottle
Ye can take any vessel in chosen direction after the tides have turned. So if ye wants to sail on Circle or District vessels in either direction ye can wait for chosen ship....

Grog afterwards at Ye Olde McD's, Warren Street, avast ye!!!!!!!

Arrrrrr Shiver me Timbers ye landlubberss......

Sailing
Capn Kev
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
dstock17
Zone 5

Re: Cannon Street Run XII - Talk Like a Pirate Day 19th Sept 2017 - Ye Olde Bottle

Post by dstock17 »

when is Sept 19th
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Cannon Street Run XII - Talk Like a Pirate Day 19th Sept 2017 - Ye Olde Bottle

dstock17 wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 20:39 when is Sept 19th
Arrrr it be a Tuesday me hearty!!!!!
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

Going Underground wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 21:23
Arrrr it be a Tuesday me hearty!!!!!
more notice would be great some times
Elsie
Zone 3

Post by Elsie »

Not that I could come down on a Tuesday night anyway ... but I start my new job on the 18th so I need to fully commit to that!
Elsie
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I'm up for it!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

the day after Sept 18th? :lol:
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

Iain wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 15:41
the day after Sept 18th? :lol:
sarcastic git
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Left work slightly early and headed up to 'the Smoke' to take part in this one.

Even my route to Cannon Street was carefully planned. I knew I needed to do some recce at Bank before the run so on arrival at Paddington, I crossed to Lancaster Gate and took the Central to Bank, where I tried out a couple of routes between there and Monument to see which I thought would be quicker /easier. Having done that, I walked to Cannon Street (getting slightly lost in the entrance!) and arrived on the westbound platform with the anologue clock saying 6:30 exactly!

I found Tangy and Peter on the same platform and Kev over the other side. Andy and David had apparently already started (though at that point the platform clock wouldn't have quite reached 6:30 - controversial! :wink: ). Tangy, Peter and I all took the first clockwise circle, Peter and I disembarking at Bayswater for the run to Queensway, while Tangy carried on. At Bayswater, Peter went down the spiral stairs - I chose to wait for the lifts - even though at that point they were both at platform level - as my ankles aren't too fond of going down and round at the same time! Fortunately Peter had just missed a train so we stayed together as far as Bank, where he disappeared into the bowels of the earth while I went up through the crypt of St Mary's and down King William Street to Monument. A three minute wait for an anticlockwise Circle gave Peter chance to catch up.

It was beginning to become clear that Peter and I were working the same route, and we carried on round to Paddington (H&C/Circle), through to the Bakerloo, down to Charing Cross and up to Warren Street, where we both ran for the Victoria Line, Peter getting in the front carriage and me in the back one. At KXSP I went down the twisty steps by the escalators (those steps are short enough for my ankles to cope!) while he presumably used the longer linking corridor. Another three minute wait gave him time to catch up again so we both finished at Knightsbridge in 2:11:05.

Thanks to Kev for organising!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Ahoy me hearties and shiver me timbers!!!!!!!!!!

Here be the results for Ye Olde Bottle 'o' Rum

6th "Lost at Sea" xcooler123 (Cabin Boy David) - but due to answering an SOS Mayday gets an extra "pip" on his uniform for valour in helping a fellow seaman
5th "Walking the plank" Tangy (Midshipman Martin) = 2:24:13 at port of Charing Cross
3rd = "Clapped in irons" RJSRdg and greatkingrat (Bosun's Rich and Pete) 2:11:05 at port o Knightsbridge
2nd "At the Helm" dstock17 (Cap'n Andi) 2:09:04 at port o Farringdon
1st "Sent to the Admiralty" (Rear Admiral Kev) 1:58:06 at port of Charing Cross

So me crew mates we be back in a years time to sail this treacherous waters again with a "Random 15 Ports" and the tides will probably make for a Saturday hoisting of mainsail and weigh anchor

Arrrrr so be it!!!!!!!!
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

my route cannon st :arrow: embankment :arrow: Charing x :arrow: embankment :arrow: Gloucester rd :arrow: kings x :arrow: gps :arrow: euston sq :arrow: Warren st :arrow: tcr :arrow: nhg :arrow: hsk :arrow: edgware rd circ :arrow: edgware rd bak :arrow: Oxford circus :arrow: bank :arrow: monument :arrow: farringdon.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

My time was compounded by two 6 minute waits in succession on the Central and Jubilee lines, the latter just to go one stop!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.