Random 15 Championship 2017/18: Round 1

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Re: Random 15 Championship 2017/18: Round 1

Post by hopeful traveller »

"Not afraid". Et cetera.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

This event is still going ahead as planned. The start time remains at 12:30.

The generator draw has yet to be conducted, so can easily highlight the Wimbledon line stations as excluded if necessary before the draw if the branch is still closed.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

tangy wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 20:36 This event is still going ahead as planned. The start time remains at 12:30.

The generator draw has yet to be conducted, so can easily highlight the Wimbledon line stations as excluded if necessary before the draw if the branch is still closed.
You might as well just bring the bucket and then put the Wimbleware in if need be, because I'm not convinced we'll know for sure until tomorrow morning. For what it's worth, I very much doubt the line will be open.

Also, I would just give a word of advice and perhaps suggest we cut our running speeds tomorrow, security and all that will probably be 15 police officers per platform or something horrendously over-the-top.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

hopeful traveller wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 20:58
tangy wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 20:36 This event is still going ahead as planned. The start time remains at 12:30.

You might as well just bring the bucket and then put the Wimbleware in if need be, because I'm not convinced we'll know for sure until tomorrow morning. For what it's worth, I very much doubt the line will be open.

Also, I would just give a word of advice and perhaps suggest we cut our running speeds tomorrow, security and all that will probably be 15 police officers per platform or something horrendously over-the-top.
It's not a live draw, so no bucket. In this case, discounting Oxford Circus, there only needs to be a random generation of 14 zones 2 to 4 stations, which can be done last minute.

Tangy, would it be convenient to produce two lists, one with the Wimbledon branch and one without, and hand out one list or the other. Twice the stationery, I realise.

I did see news that the train involved has been moved, and I reckon everyone involved will do all they can to get the line open tomorrow.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

michael_churchill wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 21:28
hopeful traveller wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 20:58

It's not a live draw, so no bucket.
This is what I'm saying. This clearly qualifies as exceptional circumstances, so perhaps it should be a live draw, because no way can Tangy get that draw produced once we know for sure, print it out, etc.

Modern, Northwick Park, Mill Hill East, Ken Oly, Roding Valley, and Hounslow Central, anyone?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

You better start writing out all those stations then Tangy, could be a long night :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Maybe just exclude the Wimbledon branch stations anyway. If it turns out the branch has reopened it doesn't matter as long as we all know they aren't going to come up.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The generator draw will not be conducted until tomorrow morning, to give a better idea if the Wimbleware is open or not.

At the time of the draw if the Wimbleware is still closed, those stations will be excluded.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

@TfLTravelAlerts on Twitter is now reporting the line is open but Parsons Green is still closed
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

michael_churchill wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 21:28 [

Probably just as well. Not sure taking a bucket on the Underground would be a good idea tomorrow...
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
hopeful traveller
All Zones

RJSRdg wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 23:16
michael_churchill wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 21:28 [

Probably just as well. Not sure taking a bucket on the Underground would be a good idea tomorrow...
Considering it was a tupperware box last time...
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

According to the BBC, Parsons Green reopened this morning and there's no disruption on the District showing on the Tfl website.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

RJSRdg wrote: 16 Sep 2017, 09:08 According to the BBC, Parsons Green reopened this morning and there's no disruption on the District showing on the Tfl website.
Unfortunately, this is the District we're talking about.
roblo97
Zone 3

Post by roblo97 »

Apologies for not being able to make it, I have had a few things which I needed to sort out prior to starting uni on Monday.
R15 PB: 2:23.23
DLR PB: 2:00:50
Bottle PB: 02:30:30
Tramlink PB: 1:55.37 (Cheers David!)
Triple Crown: 7:00.13
FNC: 18:42:50 (Cheers Andi and Josh!)
Park: 8:29:35
Z1: 02:45:54
2018 Z1 winner!
Parkrun PB: 26 minutes something
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

This turned out to be an interesting challenge, even though none of the really awkward stations turned up (although in a couple of cases an adjacent one did!).

I didn't get off to a very good start. Having ringed the 14 stations on my map, I noticed that nobody was coming up out of the "No entry" Exit 8 so nipped down it, only to discover that the barriers at the bottom were also "No entry" as are presumably all the exits to that particular part of the station. So up a different exit and back down the proper one. Onto the Vic intending to change to the Picc at Green Park but got so engrossed in working the route out that I wound up in Pimlico! Back to Victoria and along the District through WEST KENSINGTON to BARONS COURT. Over to the other platform and a few minutes wait for a Picc back to Earl's Court then up for a WImbleware which seemed to sit in the platform for ages. Finally off it went, down through PUTNEY BRIDGE to East Putney, from where I ran to Putney and after a five minute wait hopped on a Weybridge train, aiming for Richmond, only to discover that Weybridge trains don't go through Richmond. So off at Kew Bridge, and on to a 391 to KEW GARDENS. 10 minute wait before heading north over the line I'd travelled on quarter of an hour earlier, to Gunnersbury where a bus map showed the H91 ran in the direction I needed. Whilst I was waiting for it, two other challengers ran past me into the station. On the H91 down to OSTERLEY then, and back to South Ealing, followed by a 65 to Ealing Broadway just in time to see a Central Line train pull out (possibly if I'd disembarked at Christchurch and run from there I may have made it). On the next one, through WEST ACTON to North Acton and a 266 to Willesden Junction.

Up through HARLESDEN and STONEBRIDGE PARK to Wembley Central where I had a choice of either a 5 minute wait for an Overground or a 9 minute wait for a London Midland back to Euston. I opted for the latter (didn't know it was an hourly service!) passing the Overground at Willesden. Down to the Northern Line and up to FINCHLEY CENTRAL and WEST FINCHLEY. Back south to Tufnell Park, where the lift doors closed and reopened and Nick got in (always a bad sign - I've bumped into him on a few challenges recently and it usually means I'm doing badly!). Up to street level to see a Number 4 in the distance and 26 minutes on the DMI board. Nick disappeared back underground, while I made a futile attempt to outrun the bus! Needless to say I didn't manage it but was able to pick up a Boris to FINSBURY PARK, where I caught the Vic to Blackhorse Road. Got slightly lost on the footbridge(!) but made it down to platform level to discover (1) the next Goblin wasn't for 10 minutes and (2) Nick had caught me up despite going back into Euston.

At Leytonstone High Road, the barriers refused to read either of our tickets. I tailgated another passenger whilst Nick showed his to the attendant. I hoped this might gain me a little time but after passing under the bridge I looked back to see him on my tail. Now although I've done Leytonstone to High Road several times, I've never done the run the other way before so I wound up taking an earlier side road than I expected, bringing me in alongside the Central Line. Seeing a northbound train approaching the station, and not anticipating catching it, I slowed, only to see to my horror Nick coming out of the other side road 100m ahead of me! I rushed to the station but there was no sign of him either in the subway or on the platform, so presumably he had managed to catch the train I had seen (*). Going up through SNARESBROOK I hoped I might catch him on the doubleback at WOODFORD, but no sign of him and a lengthy wait for a southbound train while a Hainault train used the platform. Feeling fairly despondent that I was now almost certainly in last place, I caught the southbound train, then changed at Stratford and down to CANARY WHARF for a slightly disappointing 5:35:09 (prior to the delay at Blackhorse I had been hoping for a sub-5:30, possibly something close to 5 hours).

(*) With retrospect, I suspect this may have been a Hainault train...

Thanks to Tangy for organising again.