Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 5

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tangy
Site Administrator

Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 5

Post by tangy »

Hello and welcome to the 2016/17 Random 15 Championship. I am your host (commonly known to regulars as the BERC when I am hosting Random 15 challenges). The Random 15 challenge is just that, visit 15 randomly selected stations that feature on the Tube Map and/or London Connections Map (usually within zones 1-2 and using the Underground network only). There will be certain rounds within the championship that are a variation of this such as adding an extra zone/s or network/s e.g. DLR, National Rail onto the challenge and these are known as "twist" rounds.

The rules of the Random 15 Challenge are unchanged from last season but if anyone is not familiar with these (or how the scoring works), they can be read here: http://www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubecha ... 5rules.htm

The 2016/17 season reaches the penultimate round . So here is the vital details for you:

When: Saturday 22nd April 2017 12:30 UK local time.
Pre-Challenge meet up point: Green Park, meet outside the new step free entrance that leads directly from the park itself.
Post challenge meet up point: The Bricklayers Arms pub, Gresse Street (off TCR, the road).
Variant: Round 5 is a twist round. Therefore we will be widening our horizons and not only visiting stations in zones 1 and 2 but zone 3 as well using LU stations only. So Ealing Broadway to East Ham or East Finchley to South Wimbledon!
Time limit for completing: As this is a twist round, the time limit to complete is 6 hours.

Line and station closures affecting the challenge (there is very little actually):

Circle/H&C: Closed Hammersmith (H&C)- Edgware Road (Circle). Circle line operates circular.
First Great Western: Reduced suburban services, including Greenford branch.
Thameslink: No service Blackfriars- London Bridge (through trains diverted via Elephant).

Lancaster Gate: Station closed for refurbishment (pass through accepted)
London Bridge (NR): Trains to/from Cannon Street unable to call at London Bridge. Southern and trains to/from Charing X calling as normal.

Hope to see you there. Everyone welcome.

Tangy
The BERC.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 5

Post by Going Underground »

Attending GU
parkrun - Osterley - GU
Spoons - The William Morris Hammersmith - GU
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

Attending GU, DrainBrain
parkrun - Osterley - GU, DrainBrain
Spoons - The William Morris Hammersmith - GU, DrainBrain
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Attending GU, DrainBrain, RJSRdg
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Attending GU, DrainBrain, RJSRdg, xcooler123
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
roblo97
Zone 3

Post by roblo97 »

Attending GU, DrainBrain, RJSRdg, xcooler123, roblo97
R15 PB: 2:23.23
DLR PB: 2:00:50
Bottle PB: 02:30:30
Tramlink PB: 1:55.37 (Cheers David!)
Triple Crown: 7:00.13
FNC: 18:42:50 (Cheers Andi and Josh!)
Park: 8:29:35
Z1: 02:45:54
2018 Z1 winner!
Parkrun PB: 26 minutes something
Elsie
Zone 3

Post by Elsie »

I wish I could join you tomorrow but I have a HS2 meeting tomorrow morning - and I'm already coming down on May 3rd to 'play' on the network; there is only so much I can get away with!

Good luck to all the competitors tomorrow and I look forward to seeing the station list and reading how you all did it!
Elsie
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

At least we won't have any D Stock causing confusion like they did last time....
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

And a heads-up that Chelsea are playing Spurs at Wembley tomorrow (KO 17:15) so the Met/Jub are likely to be busy later on.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

If we're talking football on the 22nd, there's:

- West Ham vs Everton; 1500 kickoff, Olympic Stadium (Stratford)
- Chelsea vs Spurs; 1715 kickoff, Wembley Stadium (Wembley Park/Wembley Central)
- Brentford vs QPR; 1500 kickoff, Griffin Park (Brentford/South Ealing/Gunnersbury)
- Milwall vs Oxford Utd; 1500 kickoff, The Den (South Bermondsey/Surrey Quays)

and a bunch of other games which shouldn't affect London Zones 1-3.

What will likely also still be in trouble is the Watford DC line of the Overground, which is likely still suspended between Euston and Harrow & Wealdstone.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
roblo97
Zone 3

Post by roblo97 »

As I'm already at Green Park and the meet up point, I'm in the black hoodie and Iron Maiden t shirt, currently in the queue at the kiosk getting a drink.
2018 Z1 winner!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Noticing that Canary Wharf and Bermondsey were on the list, I headed down to the Eastbound Jubilee platform at GREEN PARK. Having just missed a train, I perused the list further and ascertained that those two stations were the only two in the eastern half of the map, so I crossed to the Westbound platforms instead, where GU and A2 were also waiting for a train. As I waited, I transferred my Travelcard from my wallet to my phone pouch to avoid a repeat of January's mishap. Initially I thought of heading up to Baker Street and the Bakerloo, but instead changed to the Victoria at BOND STREET, then the Northern at Euston to visit BELSIZE PARK. Back down to Euston, then ran to Euston Square and after letting a Met go, caught a Circle Line to BAYSWATER via PADDINGTON. Just missed the return service so had to hang on a few minutes for the next one back to Padd. Down to the Bakerloo, and crawled up to WILLESDEN JUNCTION, from where - after going up the wrong staircase! - I ran/jogged to EAST ACTON ("Earthquakes in East Acton!"). Ran up on to the platform as an EB arrived but ended up getting on further back than I had planned. At North Acton I jumped out and ran along a few carriages before realising that the clatter I'd heard as I jumped off the train was me dropping my phone pouch! Ran back along the platform to retrieve it and just had time to jump back on before the doors closed, but without progressing as far along the train as I wanted. Ran along a bit further at West Acton but still a couple of carriages back. Down at EB, just got to the end of the Central platform when I saw the District train pull out. Time to purchase an extra couple of bottles of water from the pasty stall before boarding the next District, which remained stationary for an interminable time before departing for EALING COMMON. Down to Acton Town, where I just missed a Heathrow Picc and had to wait 4 minutes for a Northfields to SOUTH EALING. Just missed the reversal here too, but hopped on the next Picc as far as South Ken, then District to SLOANE SQUARE and doubled back to EC - next Olympia in 7 minutes. SeVERN! When it arrived, I hopped on and made my way to the front to discover that the other two passengers in that part of the train were Tangy and Neil, who had four more stations to visit after KO. At KENSINGTON OLYMPIA, we discovered the next southbound Overground was in ten minutes! The fact Tangy and Neil also needed to catch this told me what at least two of their remaining stations were..... Down to Wimbledon together via EAST PUTNEY and SOUTHFIELDS. Another five minute wait for a Waterloo stopper, then down to the Jubilee platforms for BERMONDSEY and CANARY WHARF for a slightly disappointing 4:12:21.

Neil and Tangy doubled back to Waterloo and up the Northern to TCR, I opted for the scenic route via the DLR to Bank.

Highlight of the day though was when Neil and I both returned to TCR on the way home. At the end of the long corridor, I noticed a train in the platform to my right and jumped on. Neil (heading for Stratford) went left. As I jumped on I had a vague recollection of seeing an Eastbound sign and just had time to jump off again before the doors closed and I passed Neil in the link corridor having realised his mistake.... ;-)
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Writeups time - since nobody since Richard has done theirs let me try and get the writeups going once more.

All I needed at Green Park was enough time to register Ealing Common, South Ealing, Southfields and Canary Wharf before I was off to the latter, charging down the escalators to the Jubilee Line followed by David and Clive. Jumping straight onto a waiting Jubilee Line train, we made our way east to tick off Bermondsey and Canary Wharf, during which time I plotted out the rest of my route and confirmed that yes, I'd made a good choice at the start. Seven stops of packed train later, I arrived at Skyscraper Central and immediately dashed over to the waiting westbound train - no time to hang around the Death Star and the three of us were off back west again. At London Bridge I was either back by half a carriage or forward by half a carriage, but I was quickly able to dash over to the Northern Line where the platform was packed for the next train - unhelpfully a High Barnet. Positioning myself for the Camden Town front passage, I passed Clive who was heading over to run across the back way. Wishing him luck, I boarded the packed train, and this was the last I saw of any challenger until I finished!!

Amusing myself by recalling the idiot who once proposed cross platform interchange between the Jubilee and Northern at London Bridge, I went up to Camden Town, where 30 seconds was just enough to get me through the corridor onto the waiting Edgware train. Up to Belsize Park, then across to the southbound platform where the next train was via Charing Cross so I positioned myself for the Charing Cross branch at Euston. On the way back down, at Mornington Crescent I realised that I'd actually not positioned myself correctly because I was going south not north - so at Euston I quickly moved myself back down the train, opting to make the change at Warren Street (where I had no idea about the door position apart from generally near the back). My door turned out to be perfect for the No Exit at Warren Street, which I duly used (don't lynch me) and ran straight across to the Victoria Line. One stop to Oxford Circus, then across to the Central where I just missed an Ealing Broadway. No matter, West Ruislip train in 1 minute to whisk me the one stop to Bond Street, then over to the Jubilee Line for the one stop to Green Park.

At Green Park for the second time, about an hour in, a random traveller decided it would be really funny to trip me up as I ran down the corridor, sending myself and the Zone 1 Challenge Cup flying. Quickly bouncing back to my feet I grabbed the Cup, gave it a once over then pelted back on my way towards the Victoria Line. One stop to Victoria then up the escalators onto a waiting Circle Line train, where I was finally able to get my breath back somewhat. Took the Circle Line through Sloane Square, where I checked my phone to see whether I could wrangle a decent Olympia connection from the 1344. While I could not, I worked out that I'd be arriving at High Street Kensington for 1349, and when I got there I ran out of the station onto a waiting Number 10 Bus, which whisked me over to Kensington Olympia in around 5 minutes. Running down the approach road, I got a stitch in my side - but I had a couple of minutes to spare so limped my way onto the train with little trouble.

Arriving at Earl's Court, it was over the bridge onto the Westbound platforms, where I waved at the departing Olympia service before boarding the next Wimbledon train to go down to Southfields via East Putney. At Southfields I had a short doubleback onto a City-bound District, which I duly took back to Earl's Court. At Earl's Court, I waited the 5 minutes then boarded a Wimbleware to Paddington via Bayswater. Quickly down to the Bakerloo Line at Paddington, where I was greeted by 1 minute for a Queen's Park. I took this train to Queen's Park, then had a lovely 6 minute wait on the Northbound platforms with a bunch of Chelsea fans for the next train to Willesden Junction. Up the stairs and up the approach road to the bus stop, where I was greeted by a 1 minute wait for the next 228 - perfect! The 228 got me down to East Acton pronto, via a number of Stop HS2 signs, and after running like a headless chicken through the streets of Acton I finally found the elusive station and ran up to the platform to find a North Acton terminator. No help whatsoever, so I let it go for the Ealing Broadway which followed it a minute later.

With but 2 stations to go, my next target was Ealing Common, and I decided on heading to Ealing Broadway then taking a District out. As usual, however, Ealing Broadway is not kind to the casual tube challenger, and my hopes and dreams pulled away from Platform 7 just as I reached it. Never mind, only 10 minutes until the helpful train on Platform 8 departs, then I was off to Acton Town for my final station. At Acton Town, I headed over to the westbound platforms to await the next train to South Ealing. The following happened:

1) Heathrow Terminal 4 train arrives in Platform 2 and opens doors. I board it.
2) Northfields train arrives in Platform 1 and opens doors.
3) Northfields train in Platform 1 closes doors. Departs.
4) Heathrow Terminal 4 train in Platform 2 closes doors approximately 5 seconds later and gives chase.
5) Just outside South Ealing, Northfields train comes to halt at red signal. Heathrow Terminal 4 train breezes past Northfields train into platform and opens doors. Justice is served and I stop the watch for a final time of... well, over to you, Tangy.

In conclusion, sometimes on the Underground you can never tell what's going to happen next...
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
roblo97
Zone 3

Post by roblo97 »

Firstly, before I start the writeup, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for making me feel so welcome despite the fact that it was only my 4th time in London, excluding school trips and that I was a complete novice at tube challenging and darts. More on that later.

I got to the meet up point at Green Park half an hour early so I decided to get a drink from the drinks kiosk there. I had also brought a pain au chocolate earlier as well and I was trying to eat that as quickly as possible when the envelope was handed to me. It also meant I had to open the envelope one handed as well so as everyone went to plan what to do, I was looking at the list trying to work out what was roughly near where and whilst trying to finish the pain au chocolate off.

I decided to head from Green Park to Canary Wharf as it meant I could also do Bermondsey at the same time as it was all on the Jubilee Line. From there, it went wrong for the first time. I decided to try and find the DLR station at Canary Wharf. Not only did I miss a Bank bound DLR service but in my enthusiasm, I had forgotten to tap my phone on the Oyster barrier. Thankfully I had enough of a wait to go back and tap in as well as plan the next phase from Bank while on the DLR.

Once I had navigated through the massive crowd of people on the DLR platform at Bank, I then decided to get a Central Line train so I could tick off Bond Street and East Acton. I did toy with the idea of bailing at Queensway but I didn't and kept going to the terminus at Ealing Broadway. I changed to a District Line train so I could tick off Ealing Common. I changed to the Piccadilly Line at Acton Town as I needed to go to South Ealing but I noticed the long wait for a Heathrow bound train. I then noticed that a Northfields train would suffice so as it was a short wait for one of those, I caught that.

It was at this point, I had a slight Coca Cola malfunction as it spilled over when I opened it so I had to down as much of it as possible prior to the train arriving. I preceded to drink over half the bottle in 3 massive gulps. Once South Ealing[/b] was out of the way, I doubled back and got the train to Acton Town to get a District Line service to Earls Court. Once I was there, I caught the next train to Edgware Road in order to tick off Bayswater and Paddington. I then doubled back at Paddington and the next train that pulls in is due for Wimbledon.

I get on that and then get to check off East Putney and then Southfields where I doubled back to Earls court. I then made my way over to the platform to Olympia and I see the board is saying that the next Olympia train is due in one minute. To say I was quite pleased with this was an understatement. I got off of that and then I had an 11 minute wait for the Overground connection to Willesden Junction. It was at this point I bumped into Tangy and Neil and they also had a bit of a wait albeit considerably less than mine! The good thing about this was that it meant that I could plan the route to Belsize Park.

I changed to the Bakerloo Line at Willesden Junction. And then it went wrong again as the train stopped a couple of times and I got a bit annoyed with that, especially after the Olympia train. I eventually got to Baker Street where I changed to the Metropolitan Line and was thankfully opposite the platform full of Wembley bound Chelsea fans. That's the main reason why I had my Iron Maiden t-shirt on. I stayed on the Metropolitan Line until Euston Road where I got off and preceded to run out of the station and down the road to Euston. I kept going through there where I noticed that the next train pulling in was bound for Edgware Road and it was due in 1 minute. I made that train and I was able to tick off Belsize Park. I doubled back there and the next train pulling in was heading for Kennington.

I made my final connection at Westminister where I got another District Line service to Sloane Square and my train got held at a red light for a few seconds. I got off at Sloane Square, hit the stop button and noted down the time. I then made my way to Tottenham Court Road and got a McDonalds as I was quite hungry by this stage and I had finished that off by the time I arrived in the pub. I also found out that I am not as bad at darts as what I thought I was as Kev and I ended up winning. Thanks for the tips Kev! As for the time I completed it in, I'll let Tangy announce that.
2018 Z1 winner!
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Better late than never...

Starting at Green Park I headed down to the Jubilee line along with TOO and tufnellpark to catch the train out to Canary Wharf ticking off Bermondsey along the way. TOO and tufnellpark bailed at London Bridge but I carried onto Westminster where I would try and tick off the group of stations in the west. After the torutrous run up the escalators, a Richmond train was waiting for me so I travelled to Earl's Court. I knew I had just missed a train to Olympia so I headed down to Southfields covering off East Putney. Back up to Earl's Court and I had a 1 min wait for the next Olympia train. Brilliant! Headed out to Kensington (Olympia) and then ran to Barons Court (despite it being a popular run this was the first time I had ever done it!). Arrived there and a Piccadilly line train to Heathrow pulled up. Headed out to South Ealing,quick turnaround and back to Acton Town where an Uxbridge train was 1 minute away. Caught that and made my way up to North Ealing, ticking off Ealing Common. Arrived and made the lovely run to West Acton. Funnily enough whilst I was running I thought this was going rather well...

...until I arrive at West Acton. 8 minutes for the next train east. Balls. Oh well may as well sit outside and enjoy the glorious sunshine. When the train finally turned up I ticked off East Acton and arrived at Bond Street for what I hoped would be a swift cross platform change. What I was greeted with was trains 6 mins, 8 mins and 9 mins away :twisted: :twisted: Seems I managed to pick all the gaps in the Central line service... Anyway the train finally turned up and I headed towards Queensway. Arrived to find I had just missed a lift up and the other one was taking ages so I ran up the emergency stairs- by the top I wasn't really running anymore :shock: Bumbled my way to Bayswater where there was no train in sight and a 5 mins wait for the next one - yay :| Made the short trip to Paddington (D&C) and had a quick change for a train to Willesden Junction. Arrived to a 5 mins wait for the next train to Stratford (pretty standard for NLL) and quickly arrived at Hampstead Heath where I ran up and down the big hill to Belsize Park. Took the next train out and finished at Hampstead.

Overall, gaps in the service cost me a fair amount of time but hey ho that's what the Tube throws at you somethimes.
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)