Royal Alternative Challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
xcooler123
Zone 5

Royal Alternative Challenge

Post by xcooler123 »

As I have only a few Alternative Challenges to complete, I have started planning for a Royal Challenge attempt. However, I have noticed that since the last time this was attempted (2013 from explorerticket when there was only LU, LO and DLR lines on the map) the map has been updated several times and there are stations on TfL Rail and Tramlink with a clear Royal reference. So the question is:-

1. Update the challenge in accordance with the current map? This was done when Zone 1&2 had it's boundary changed, LO additions, etc. so keep it in line with other changes to Alternative Challenges. If so, I suggest the following stations would be added:-

Seven Kings
King Henry's Drive
Emirates Royal Docks

OR

2. Leave the challenge as it is? Has not been attempted in over 3 years so does it really need to change?

Thoughts would be appreciated (even though I know most of you probably couldn't give a monkeys :lol: )
Last edited by xcooler123 on 19 Feb 2017, 05:21, edited 1 time in total.
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
RJSRdg
All Zones

Re: Royal Alternative Challenge

Post by RJSRdg »

The difference between resetting the Z1/Z2 challenge and the Royal Challenge is that for Z1/Z2, the definition of the challenge (all Underground stations in Zones 1 & 2) was unchanged, it was the Network(or in this case, the Zone Boundaries) that changed. This means that anyone looking at the latest map knows immediately which stations are required without having to refer to an out-of-date map. Resetting the record when the network changes also avoids the situation arising where permanent closure of a station would mean the challenge can no longer be completed.

What you are suggesting for the Royal Challenge is that the definition be changed to include TfL Rail and Tramlink. Not saying it should or shouldn't be changed but that the reason for the change is different.

Personally I would suggest that the Challenge stays as it is, but there is nothing to prevent a Grand Royal Challenge being set up in parallel to include TfL Rail and Tramlink.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
xcooler123
Zone 5

Re: Royal Alternative Challenge

Post by xcooler123 »

RJSRdg wrote:The difference between resetting the Z1/Z2 challenge and the Royal Challenge is that for Z1/Z2, the definition of the challenge (all Underground stations in Zones 1 & 2) was unchanged, it was the Network(or in this case, the Zone Boundaries) that changed. This means that anyone looking at the latest map knows immediately which stations are required without having to refer to an out-of-date map. Resetting the record when the network changes also avoids the situation arising where permanent closure of a station would mean the challenge can no longer be completed.

What you are suggesting for the Royal Challenge is that the definition be changed to include TfL Rail and Tramlink. Not saying it should or shouldn't be changed but that the reason for the change is different.

Personally I would suggest that the Challenge stays as it is, but there is nothing to prevent a Grand Royal Challenge being set up in parallel to include TfL Rail and Tramlink.
I have looked back and worded it so that it sounds like we made the change whereas you are correct in what you say! I blame sleep deprivation and night shifts!
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)