More new ...

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
geofftech
All Zones

More new ...

Post by geofftech »

I sort of can't believe (and yet at the same time can), how many people went for the "As many stations in an hour thing".

Still, whilst lying in the hottday 32 degrees midday sun in Durban here yesterday, I came up with a few more to ponder over, namely:

(1) How long would it take/what's the shortest time you could cover EVERY part of the tube map in? i.e. when doing just the 275 stations I've never travelled between Rayners Lane and West Harrow. In fact, I think that's one bit of tube track/map I've never ever travelled down in my life - so .. how long would it take you to do each bit of the map, so that if you 'scribbled' over each bit as you did it, it would all be scribbled in.

And (more importantly), could you actually do it in a day? I reckon you could: Might take you between 20 to 21 hours, but probably possible.

(2) What's the most number of tube stations/amount of the map that you could do WIHOUT repeating yourself. i.e. you can change as many times as you like, but you must never have a repetition. You can get off and go on foot/bus, as pe normal, but you coulnd't (say) go up to Chesham, as coming back donw to Chalfont would be a repetition. Just a thought.

(3) One for the mathmeticians, and only slightly more obtuse than (2) would then be - what's the most amount of track/map/stations you can travel on the tube with the LEAST number of changes. i.e start at Upminster and get a Ealing Broadway Train. Change for the Central Line to Epping. That's er.. a lot of stations/track travelled with just the one change. You might have to put some sort of limit on this (i.e. what's the most stations you can do in just X changes, but you get the idea).

Of course, all of this is completely nonsense, and is the sort of thing you start to dream up when you're relaxing with a beer on holiday, but I'm just throwing it into the pot to see if anyone takes one of the, up ... :-)
petermiller36
Zone 4

Re: More new ...

Post by petermiller36 »

geofftech wrote:Of course, all of this is completely nonsense, and is the sort of thing you start to dream up when you're relaxing with a beer on holiday, but I'm just throwing it into the pot to see if anyone takes one of the, up ... :-)
No you're not Geoff!!! YOu're not throwing it into the pot. You're just showing off the fact that you're in sunny conditions whilst supping a beer! Where as I was playing football at 10:30am on a pitch that had a 2 inch layer of mud on the top and then it snowed so much that you couldn't see both goals at the same time! oh to be you Geoff...
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

I have a few new challenges:-

The Kennington Loop challenge - who can go from Kennington to Kennington in the fastest time!

The Paddington to Finchley Road challenge - strangely this is my commute home from work :wink:
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

If this forum didn't have a speech filter, the words that I am about to type would be slightly different:

Geoff, you are a jammy ****.
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
the_tube_boy
Zone 1

Post by the_tube_boy »

G Force wrote:I have a few new challenges:-

The Kennington Loop challenge - who can go from Kennington to Kennington in the fastest time!
This is the easiest challenge in the world!!!!!! considering you only have to visit 9 stations
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

9 Stations - Surely you would only vist one station - the same one to start and finish???

3 minutes or so at a guess!!!! ;-)
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

the_tube_boy wrote:
G Force wrote:I have a few new challenges:-

This is the easiest challenge in the world!!!!!! considering you only have to visit 9 stations
Er, I think you would be taking the long route there! :lol:
kizzers
Zone 1

Post by kizzers »

What about a zone 2 challenge?
James_#510
Zone 2

Re: More new ...

Post by James_#510 »

geofftech wrote:(1) How long would it take/what's the shortest time you could cover EVERY part of the tube map in? i.e. when doing just the 275 stations I've never travelled between Rayners Lane and West Harrow. In fact, I think that's one bit of tube track/map I've never ever travelled down in my life - so .. how long would it take you to do each bit of the map, so that if you 'scribbled' over each bit as you did it, it would all be scribbled in.

And (more importantly), could you actually do it in a day? I reckon you could: Might take you between 20 to 21 hours, but probably possible.
Funnily enough, my first route didn't involve any of the clever stuff you find by looking outside the box (except the Kenton thing) so we didn't, for example, run to Ickenham from West Ruislip.

This was split over two days and took almost 22 hours, and there were still some bits missing. The one that comes to mind is Camden Town to Euston on a Bank train.

So its not actually possible. Sorry.
<a href="http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/sillyma ... g">Creator of the toilet map</a> New version coming soon!
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

How about the following challenge:

Alphabetical Order Challenge

1. List all stations in alphabetical order.
2. Visit them in that order for a set amount of time (eg somewhere between 2 - 5 hours).

The record will not, then, be a time, but a station.
If there's a long journey between stations near the end of the time period, though, it might be difficult to get to the next one, ad everyone might end up finishing at the same station after however many hours.
James_#510
Zone 2

Post by James_#510 »

Even the first trip would take a bit of time. Acton Town - Aldgate East - Aldgate (or vice versa depending) - Alperton would take ages! Then it goes up to Amersham!

It would have to be a lot more than 5 hours just to get to B!
<a href="http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/sillyma ... g">Creator of the toilet map</a> New version coming soon!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Aldgate first of the two Aldgates.

Yeah - we'd need 12 to 15 hours to get anywhere near D ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
James_#510
Zone 2

Post by James_#510 »

Oddly enough if you read the A-Z list on a Tube map A.E. comes first.

Strange that.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Maybe it's because "Aldgate East Station" comes before "Aldgate Station" alphabetically, and thye mised off the "Station"s.