Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 3

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tangy
Site Administrator

Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 3

Post by tangy »

Hello and welcome to the 2016/17 Random 15 Championship. I am your host (commonly known to regulars as the BERC when I am hosting Random 15 challenges). The Random 15 challenge is just that, visit 15 randomly selected stations that feature on the Tube Map and/or London Connections Map (usually within zones 1-2 and using the Underground network only). There will be certain rounds within the championship that are a variation of this such as adding an extra zone/s or network/s e.g. DLR, National Rail onto the challenge and these are known as "twist" rounds.

The rules of the Random 15 Challenge are unchanged from last season but if anyone is not familiar with these (or how the scoring works), they can be read here: http://www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubecha ... 5rules.htm

The 2016/17 season reaches the halfway point, round 3. So here is the vital details for you:

When: Saturday 14th January 2017 12:30 UK local time.
Pre-Challenge meet up point: Earl's Court LU. Meet by the Tardis police box outside the Earl's Court Road entrance.
Post challenge meet up point: The Bricklayers Arms pub, Gresse Street (off TCR, the road).
Variant: Round 3 is a twist round. The twist for this round will be that NR stations in zones 1 and 2 will be in draw together with the more usual LU stations. This includes the Overground stations too (as they are an NR TOC).
Time limit for completing: As with most twist rounds, but especially this one, the time limit to complete is 6 hours.

Line and station closures affecting zones 1 and 2:

Metropolitan: Closed Wembley Park - Aldgate (Circle, H&C and Jubilee unaffected)..
Greater Anglia: No service via Tottenham Hale, trains diverted via Seven Sisters. No trains via Lea Bridge.
Overground- GOBLIN: Closed throughout.
Thameslink: No service Blackfriars- London Bridge (through trains diverted via Elephant).

Lambeth North: Station closed for lift refurbishment (pass through accepted).
Lancaster Gate: Station closed for refurbishment (pass through accepted)
London Bridge (NR): Trains to/from Cannon Street unable to call London Bridge. Trains to/from Charing Cross and all Southern trains terminating at London Bridge are using the station as normal.
Upper Holloway: Station closed completely, GOBLIN route upgrade.

Hope to see you there. Everyone welcome.

Tangy
The BERC.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
tangy
Site Administrator

Re: Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 3

Post by tangy »

To clarify, here is a list of what stations are to be included in the challenge:

--All LU stations in zones 1-2.
--All Overground stations in zones 1-2.
--NR Stations counted as separate from the above: All London Terminals, Battersea Park, Bethnal Green, Brixton, Cambridge Heath, Clapton, City Thameslink, Deptford, Drayton Park, East Dulwich, Elephant & Castle, Essex Road, Finsbury Park, Greenwich, Hackney Downs, Herne Hill, Lewisham, Limehouse, Loughborough Junction, North Dulwich, Nunhead, Putney, Queenstown Road, Rectory Road, South Bermondsey, St. Johns, Stoke Newington, Vauxhall, Waterloo East, Wandsworth Town, West Hampstead Thameslink.

Out of the above, Lambeth North and Lancaster Gate are closed for rebuilding work (but trains are running through non stop), also Upper Holloway is closed completely due to the GOBLIN upgrade.

The golden rule is that if you need to exit one set of ticket barriers then enter another set of ticket barriers to transfer to the other network then it is classed as separate. At stations where one can interchange between two different networks without passing through any ticket barriers then it is counted as one station can be visited by any of the above networks included in this challenge.

Examples include: Farringdon, Highbury & Islington, Kensington Olympia, New Cross, West Brompton, Whitechapel to name a few.
Last edited by tangy on 31 Dec 2016, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Attending; GU
parkrun (Roding Valley); GU
Spoons (The Last Post, Loughton) GU
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Going Underground wrote:Attending; GU, RJSRdg
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

A few notes regarding the NR element of this challenge.

In line with the formal GWR Tube challenge rules, you can use the trains of ANY NR TOC that calls at the station concerned for it to be counted as a visit (this does include longer distance trains whose next stop is outside the Oyster card boundary, for which an additional fare would be payable).

As Eurostar and Heathrow Express are not part of the NR TOC franchised network, the trains of these operators will be excluded and will NOT be counted as a visit of St Pancras NR or Paddington NR respectively. However Heathrow Connect is included as it jointly run by FGW and BAA plus it accepts all normal NR tickets up to Hayes & Harlington.

Talking of St Pancras NR, it is counted as one complex and encompasses both the low level Thameslink platforms and the high level platforms of East Midlands Trains and the South Eastern "Javelin" services. You can use ANY of these operators to tick off St Pancras NR should it come out in the draw. The use of either EMT or the Javelin service will require the challenger to pay an additional fare as neither operator accepts Travelcards, however the Javelin does have a PAYG fare between St Pancras and Stratford International NR.

Stratford International NR will be potentially one of the 15 stations that could appear as it is a boundary 2/3 station. If this does occur you will need the means to pay the extra fare, be it by PAYG or a normal paper ticket as Travelcards are NOT valid on the Javelin. Stratford International NR will be excluded from the draw, so will NOT be one of the potential 15 stations you would need to visit on this challenge. Obviously, this does not affect the use of the Javelin as a means of public transport to transfer between lines, if you wish to pay the extra fare.

Due to the inclusion of NR stations in this round, a standard Tube Map will NOT be sufficient for you to plan your challenge. It is advised you bring a copy of the "London Connections" map with you on the day- this map shows all the rail routes within London. The current edition has a dark green cover and can be obtained at most NR stations, I will have a limited amount with me on the day should you need/cannot find one.

I hope this clarifies some of your queries.

Tangy
the BERC.
Last edited by tangy on 02 Jan 2017, 09:05, edited 3 times in total.

Tangy.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I don't think we should include Stratford International NR in the draw. I don't think it is fair to have a situation where it is impossible to complete the challenge unless you are willing to pay a premium fare. Also, as it does not accept Travelcards, I would argue that it is not in zone 2, or in zone 3, or in any zone at all!
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

greatkingrat wrote:I don't think we should include Stratford International NR in the draw. I don't think it is fair to have a situation where it is impossible to complete the challenge unless you are willing to pay a premium fare. Also, as it does not accept Travelcards, I would argue that it is not in zone 2, or in zone 3, or in any zone at all!
Seconded....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

Thirded.

The having-to-pay-extra thing bugs me enough that I think Stratford International NR should be specially excluded.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I don't want Stratford International to be in the draw either.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Fifthed...
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Thanks for your input about including Stratford International NR in this challenge. As there is a clear consensus that Stratford International NR should NOT be included, therefore I declare that this station will be excluded from the draw, so will NOT form one of the potential 15 stations you would need to visit on this challenge.

Obviously, this does not affect the use of the Javelin as a means of timetabled public transport to transfer between lines, if you wish to pay the extra fare.

Tangy.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

tangy wrote:Thanks for your input about including Stratford International NR in this challenge. As there is a clear consensus that Stratford International NR should NOT be included, therefore I declare that this station will be excluded from the draw, so will NOT form one of the potential 15 stations you would need to visit on this challenge.

Obviously, this does not affect the use of the Javelin as a means of timetabled public transport to transfer between lines, if you wish to pay the extra fare.
5 cheers for the BERC!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

Attending; GU, RJSRdg, michael_churchill
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

michael_churchill wrote:Attending; GU, RJSRdg, michael_churchill, The Orange One
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I'm trying to work out how someone gets half a R15 time.... (Hugo's signature)