parkrun
Canons Park - tractakid
Beckenham Place - GU, nozzacook
Finsbury Park - xcooler123

Spoons
(near) Canons Park

Spoons
Beckenham Place
The Richmal Crompton, Bromley South - GU, nozzacook, DrainBrain (but not parkrun :( )

GU suggests for the Canons Park Spoons - the JJ Moon, next to Kingsbury Station?
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 2

Post by tractakid »

Now won't be at Canons, gunna attempt a shuffle to Lullingstone and hope I don't end up in knib.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

I won't be at the parkrun either due to a late change of plan which means I'm on my way down to London now. See you all later

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

OK, we haven't had the results uploaded on here - but I'll kick off the writeups. For those wondering, we had to visit (from memory):

- Victoria
- Leicester Square
- Marble Arch
- Hammersmith D&P
- Notting Hill Gate
- West Hampstead
- Mornington Crescent
- Ravenscourt Park
- Finsbury Park
- Hammersmith H&C
- Fulham Broadway
- Edgware Road Circle
- Arsenal
- Waterloo
- Holland Park

Route followed:

Victoria :arrow: Westminster :arrow: Waterloo :arrow: Mornington Crescent (via Leicester Square) :arrow: Euston :arrow: Finsbury Park :arrow: King's Cross St Pancras (via Arsenal) :arrow: Edgware Road Circle :arrow: Edgware Road Bakerloo (run) :arrow: Baker Street :arrow: West Hampstead :arrow: Bond Street :arrow: Shepherd's Bush (via Marble Arch, Notting Hill Gate and Holland Park) :arrow: Goldhawk Road (237 bus) :arrow: Hammersmith H&C :arrow: Hammersmith D&P :arrow: Ravenscourt Park :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: Fulham Broadway.

The live draw at Victoria (which I nearly missed) was conducted in a huddle at the side of possibly the busiest ticket hall in London. Once Holland Park had been drawn as the 15th station, it was then off to the District Line platforms - where the first train in was an eastbound, which I duly boarded alongside David, Kev, Nozza and James (though I did not know it at the time). At Westminster, I ran straight off the train and onto the up escalator... doh! After quick backtracking I went onto the down escalator instead, heading down to the eastbound Jubilee Line platform for the train to Waterloo, where a long corridor dash (eschewing the crowded travelator) put us on a Northern Line train pretty soon.

Up to Mornington Crescent - James bailed at Leicester Square, while Kev and Nozza bailed at TCR, leaving just David and myself to make the ideal finishing station our 4th. The two of us headed back down to Euston, up to Finsbury Park, back to King's Cross St Pancras (where two challengers and two reasonably empty up escalators made for an interesting race) and we found a Circle Line train. TfL have been reminding us all day that there's no Circle Line whatsoever - but hey ho. Oh look, I can go to Edgware Road first and get the Bermuda Triangle out of the way instead of running up to West Hampstead first!

Upon arrival at Edgware Road, I went up to the ticket hall to find no sign of an eastbound Circle or H&C and the next District Line out to be a Kensington Olympia - yep, you heard right. Luckily, Edgware Road has a few options, so I left David and rushed across the road to the Bakerloo Line. Back to Baker Street, up to West Hampstead, down to Bond Street, where there was a Central Line train waiting with its doors open for me. All this time, of course, I was wondering whether David was hot on my heels or possibly in front of me! Time to surface at Shepherd's Bush, where I decided to pull off a Peter Smyth-y gambit and run to Goldhawk Road - only to see a 237 bus pulling up as I leave the station! Fantastic, that saved a bit of effort and I'm at Goldhawk Road in time to see another Circle Line train pulling in towards Hammersmith. David is not on this train - so due to the every 10 minute frequency I extrapolate that he's not at least in front of me (turned out he did something else altogether).

At Hammersmith it's straight across the road and down to the westbound District to find Ealing Broadway, 1 minute. Out to Ravenscourt Park where my usual leisurely stroll across to the eastbound platforms becomes a run because there's a District pulling in! I advise some concertgoers on this train as to the best way to get to Ally Pally (jump off at Barons Court for the Piccadilly Line to Wood Green) and check my stopwatch as we approach Earl's Court to find that no, I haven't hit 2 hours yet!! With about 1 hour 55 seconds on the clock, I see a Wimbledon train in Platform 3 at Earl's Court, wait painstakingly for the doors to open, run like hell over the footbridge and onto the train, doors close seeing me in and out of Earl's Court for the only time during the challenge in about 30 seconds flat. Luckily, there seems to be little problem with the train - especially as no Chelsea supporters (and there weren't any Arsenal supporters either which was lucky) - so I was able to break the two hour barrier, enter the top ten times and score a personal best!
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
crypto
Zone 2

Post by crypto »

I had almost the exact same route as the winner, but I came last. How? Why? Well...

I started by scurrying off to the district line at Victoria. This was followed by a number of lucky, fast changes at Westminster, Waterloo, Leicester Square, Finsbury Park and Euston to hoover up the northeast stations. I changed at Euston onto a northbound train to Edgware to get Mornington Crescent.

Error #1: Forgetting how far it is between Hampstead and West Hampstead, yet still attempting to make the run, instead of going back around Euston and Baker Street.

Exhausted at West Hampstead, the train at the platform decided to rub salt in by leaving right in front of me. No biggie, only lost about 5 minutes. Back in the winning mindset, I headed to Baker Street, changed to Bakerloo to go to Edgware Road.

Error #2: "The next station is Regent's Park." So excited was I for remembering there was a cross-platform change at Baker Street, I didn't stop to remember that I needed to change direction. So change direction I did, but at Regent's Park instad of Baker Street. Arse. Still only an extra few minutes. Surely nothing else could possibly happen.

Luck of the subsurface lines was not with me as I had an agonising wait at Edgware D/C/H for a train back to Baker Street. I may have missed an opportunity to save a minute or two with a departing Olympia train, but eventually things were on track again. Round to the Central Line, ran from Shepherd's Bush to Goldhawk Road where I waited an age for a train to Hammersmith. Then got to Hammersmith, almost done.

Error #3: What I should have done is look at my map and remember that I forgot about Ravenscourt Park. Surely nobody would be silly enough to forget and then end up at Fulham Broadway, trying to find a way back to Ravenscourt Park. To make matters worse, the buses and District line were being deeply uncooperative. I could go to Putney practically every minute, but Hammersmith was every five. The boards on the District line were having a bad case of "TFL minutes," telling me that every single train on the NB platform was 3 minutes away. Eventually, I got a bus to Hammersmith and a train to Ravenscourt Park, and ended the whole sorry operation on a time of 2:57:54.
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

For me, one mistake cost me a shed load of time...

Like crypto and The Orange One, I had a really good start knocking off Waterloo and Leicester Square in quick succession before heading up to Mornington Crescent with the Orange One. we both knocked off Finsbury Park and Arsenal before heading towards Edgware Road. The big mistake was that I decided to stay there and wait for a District service down to Fulham Broadway but the only one anywhere near was a service to Olympia (of all the times to catch an Olympia - service when you don't need one!!). I caught that after a long wait and then crawled to Earl's Court where a Wimbledon service was waiting but stayed there for ages. After 5 mins wait we finally left towards Fulham Broadway. Arrived to find that there were 3 trains 3 mins away but thankfully one turned up in 2 mins (well done TfL :D ). Back to Earl's Court where the District line had well and truly fallen over with all westbound trains apparently heading to Wimbledon. After another 5 mins wait a Richmond train appeared out of the blue and I headed out to Ravenscourt Park. Back to Hammersmith (D&P) to cross over to Hammersmith (H&C) which departed promptly for me to head up to Wood Lane. Ran to White City where my luck had finally turned and there was a Central line train waiting ready to depart. Over to Bond Street with another sweet change onto the Jubilee Line to finish at West Hampstead (LU).

Despite all that, I managed to set a PB time for a R15 which was nice :)
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

The Orange One wrote: Time to surface at Shepherd's Bush, where I decided to pull off a Peter Smyth-y gambit and run to Goldhawk Road - only to see a 237 bus pulling up as I leave the station! Fantastic, that saved a bit of effort and I'm at Goldhawk Road in time to see another Circle Line train pulling in towards Hammersmith.
Thanks for the heads-up, I didn't know/had forgotten about that shortcut!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The results of round 2 of the 2016/17 Random 15 championship held on Saturday 19th November.

This was a "normal" round with only London Underground stations in zones 1 and 2 included but with a live draw on the day at the meet up point.

The challengers therefore chose the following:
--Victoria (start)
--Leicester Square
--Marble Arch
--Notting Hill Gate
--Hammersmith (D&P)
--Fulham Broadway
--West Hampstead (LU)
--Mornington Crescent
--Ravenscourt Park
--Finsbury Park
--Edgware Road (Circle)
--Arsenal
--Hammersmith (H&C)
--Waterloo
--Holland Park

We had 14 challengers split in 11 teams:

11th: James Ross finishing in a time of 02:57:54 at Ravenscourt Park
10th: Richard Graham finishing in a time of 02:49:21 at Waterloo
9th: Kevin Brown and Damian Cook finishing in a time of 02:40:33 at Arsenal
8th: Andrew Chilcraft finishing in a time of 02:37:55 at Waterloo
7th: Tangy and Neil Ansell finishing in a time of 02:36:26 at Edgware Road (Circle)
6th: Andrew Baker and Chris finishing in a time of 02:26:43 at Arsenal
5th: Peter Smyth finishing in a time of 02:23:23 at Waterloo
4th: David Edwards finishing in a time of 02:21:18 at West Hampstead (LU)
3rd: Nick Gardner finishing in a time of 02:21:08 at Arsenal
2nd: Clive Burgess finishing in a time of 02:15:16 at Finsbury Park
1st: The Orange One finishing in a time of 01:58:48 at Fulham Broadway

The leaderboard now looks like this:

=1st: David Edwards (19 overall points) [2 round attended]
=1st: The Orange One (19) [2]
3rd: Peter Smyth (18) [2]
=4th: Andrew Baker (13) [2]
=4th: Nick Gardner (13) [2]
=6th: Clive Burgess (10) [1)
=6th: Kevin Brown (10) [2]
=6th: Andrew Chilcraft (10) [2]
9th: Tangy (8) [2]
=10th: James Ross (7) [2]
=10th: Josh Nichols-Ageros (7) [1]
12th: Chris (5) [1]
13th: Neil Ansell (4) [1]
14th: Sam Inman (3) [1]
=15th: Michael Churchill (2) [1]
=15th: Damian Cook (2) [1]
17th: Richard Graham (1) [1]

Thankyou everyone for attending. we meet again on Saturday 14th January 2017. This will be a twist round and it has already been announced that the twist will be to include National Rail stations (and LO) within zones 1 and 2 into the mix.

Tangy.
the BERC.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I think it'll just be Upper Holloway off the list! Both Lambeth North and Lancaster Gate will be closed at the time, of course, but passthroughs should be accepted.

The Met Line will be closed between Aldgate and Wembley Park - but I'd imagine this would only result in reduced frequencies between Baker Street and Aldgate and a crowded Jubilee Line! After all, it's not as if we might have to go out to Wembley Park :lol:

There's also a Southeastern closure between Lewisham and Grove Park/Sidcup, which is probably going to impact on the frequencies of certain local Southeastern services!

I bring this up every time we have an NR round, but there's a couple of aggravating stations I can think of:

1) Stratford International (NR): Whether this is in the draw is anyone's guess until Tangy decides on a definite ruling, but if it is and it comes out we're gonna be buying train tickets mid challenge - or Oyster cards will come into play. There'll likely be a lot of awkward fumbling.

2) Marylebone (NR): First stop out of London is either the awkwardly placed Wembley Stadium (close to Wembley Central and Wembley Park, 2tph) or Harrow-on-the-Hill (escape into town via Wembley Park, 2tph). You know what I was saying about Wembley Park being a place we'll never go? Also there's a whopping 1tph to South Ruislip, should you wish to take the Central Line and have phenomenally good timing.

3) Paddington (NR): First stop out of London is Ealing Broadway, with 4tph - not too horrendous. No, not too bad until you realise that the waits for trains go 4 minutes, 26 minutes, 4 minutes, 26 minutes. Of course, you could go on a Heathrow Express except that's not NR. You could also go to Slough or Reading - yeah, I thought not.

4) Cannon Street (NR): When it was Charing Cross (NR) that was nonstopping London Bridge, things were fine, because Waterloo East meant you didn't have to head out to far off destinations to visit Charing Cross. Now, though, Cannon Street is nonstopping London Bridge and there's no handy Central London station to stop off at! Thankfully, the next station after that is not that far away, being Deptford (though most of you will probably continue to Greenwich where there is DLR) with 6tph. Or New Cross with 2tph.

5) St Johns: Has a whopping 2tph each way due to the engineering works this weekend!

6) Nunhead: Again, like Paddington, it suffers from the 4 minutes, 26 minutes, 4 minutes, 26 minutes syndrome - this time pertaining to alternating Southeastern and Thameslink trains.

There's more that could get really awkward!! But for the time being I think you have enough to be getting on with...
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

A decent third place for me!

Victoria :arrow: Fulham Broadway :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: Ravenscourt Park :arrow: Hammersmith :arrow: t'other Hammersmith :arrow: Edgware Road (Circle) :arrow: Notting Hill Gate :arrow: Holland Park :arrow: via Marble Arch to Bond Street :arrow: West Hampstead :arrow: Waterloo :arrow: via Leicester Square to Mornington Crescent :arrow: Euston :arrow: Finsbury Park :arrow: Arsenal

Started the same way as many others and there were six tube challengers together on the not-the-Circle-line train out of Hammersmith. I was a bit worried when all the other five got off at Wood Lane while I carried on to Edgware Road.

Met xcooler at Edgware Road and took an Olympia bound train to NHG, with xcooler carrying on as he was on an entirely different route.

Had some fairly good changes thereafter, until the very last change at Finsbury Park where I missed a train by seconds and had to wait about five minutes for the next one. Still, it doesn't look like it mattered.

NR challenges are always fun, so looking forward to the next R15.
Last edited by DrainBrain on 27 Dec 2016, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

The Orange One wrote:I think it'll just be Upper Holloway off the list! Both Lambeth North and Lancaster Gate will be closed at the time, of course, but passthroughs should be accepted.

The Met Line will be closed between Aldgate and Wembley Park - but I'd imagine this would only result in reduced frequencies between Baker Street and Aldgate and a crowded Jubilee Line! After all, it's not as if we might have to go out to Wembley Park :lol:

There's also a Southeastern closure between Lewisham and Grove Park/Sidcup, which is probably going to impact on the frequencies of certain local Southeastern services!

I bring this up every time we have an NR round, but there's a couple of aggravating stations I can think of:

1) Stratford International (NR): Whether this is in the draw is anyone's guess until Tangy decides on a definite ruling, but if it is and it comes out we're gonna be buying train tickets mid challenge - or Oyster cards will come into play. There'll likely be a lot of awkward fumbling.

2) Marylebone (NR): First stop out of London is either the awkwardly placed Wembley Stadium (close to Wembley Central and Wembley Park, 2tph) or Harrow-on-the-Hill (escape into town via Wembley Park, 2tph). You know what I was saying about Wembley Park being a place we'll never go? Also there's a whopping 1tph to South Ruislip, should you wish to take the Central Line and have phenomenally good timing.

3) Paddington (NR): First stop out of London is Ealing Broadway, with 4tph - not too horrendous. No, not too bad until you realise that the waits for trains go 4 minutes, 26 minutes, 4 minutes, 26 minutes. Of course, you could go on a Heathrow Express except that's not NR. You could also go to Slough or Reading - yeah, I thought not.

4) Cannon Street (NR): When it was Charing Cross (NR) that was nonstopping London Bridge, things were fine, because Waterloo East meant you didn't have to head out to far off destinations to visit Charing Cross. Now, though, Cannon Street is nonstopping London Bridge and there's no handy Central London station to stop off at! Thankfully, the next station after that is not that far away, being Deptford (though most of you will probably continue to Greenwich where there is DLR) with 6tph. Or New Cross with 2tph.

5) St Johns: Has a whopping 2tph each way due to the engineering works this weekend!

6) Nunhead: Again, like Paddington, it suffers from the 4 minutes, 26 minutes, 4 minutes, 26 minutes syndrome - this time pertaining to alternating Southeastern and Thameslink trains.

There's more that could get really awkward!! But for the time being I think you have enough to be getting on with...
For Paddington, 2tph Heathrow Connect and 2 tph Heathrow Express (wouldn't that count?) as well.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

A Challenge wrote:
The Orange One wrote:3) Paddington (NR): First stop out of London is Ealing Broadway, with 4tph - not too horrendous. No, not too bad until you realise that the waits for trains go 4 minutes, 26 minutes, 4 minutes, 26 minutes. Of course, you could go on a Heathrow Express except that's not NR. You could also go to Slough or Reading - yeah, I thought not.
For Paddington, 2tph Heathrow Connect and 2 tph Heathrow Express (wouldn't that count?) as well.
I don't think Heathrow Express is National Rail, technically, and it certainly doesn't stop at Ealing Broadway. Heathrow Connect would count, that's 2tph of the 4tph - the other 2tph being a GWR stopping service to Oxford.
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

The Orange One wrote:
A Challenge wrote:
The Orange One wrote:3) Paddington (NR): First stop out of London is Ealing Broadway, with 4tph - not too horrendous. No, not too bad until you realise that the waits for trains go 4 minutes, 26 minutes, 4 minutes, 26 minutes. Of course, you could go on a Heathrow Express except that's not NR. You could also go to Slough or Reading - yeah, I thought not.
I don't think Heathrow Express is National Rail, technically, and it certainly doesn't stop at Ealing Broadway. Heathrow Connect would count, that's 2tph of the 4tph - the other 2tph being a GWR stopping service to Oxford.
Only 2 tph Paddington to Ealing Broadway GWR, presumably stopping at Acton Main Line as well then? I am suprised, not saying your wrong!
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Looking at RealTimeTrains for last Saturday, there appear to be trains from Paddington to Greenford at 15 and 45 minutes past the hour, and Oxford stoppers at 25 and 58 minutes. Strangely there don't appear to be any Heathrow Connects on Saturdays. As regards HEx, I would have thought it ought to count as a NR service as it leaves Paddington on NR lines so the 'Same Rails' rules would apply.

Hopefully I should be able to make this one!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

RJSRdg wrote:Looking at RealTimeTrains for last Saturday, there appear to be trains from Paddington to Greenford at 15 and 45 minutes past the hour, and Oxford stoppers at 25 and 58 minutes. Strangely there don't appear to be any Heathrow Connects on Saturdays. As regards HEx, I would have thought it ought to count as a NR service as it leaves Paddington on NR lines so the 'Same Rails' rules would apply.

Hopefully I should be able to make this one!
Looking at Realtime Trains for the 14th of January, though, we get trains from Paddington to Oxford at 05 and 35 minutes past the hour, and Heathrow Connects at 03 and 33 minutes past the hour. The returns from Ealing Broadway back to Paddington have the GWRs at 29 and 59 past the hour, and the Connects at 03 and 33 minutes past the hour (what a coincidence!).

Tangy, a clarification about Heathrow Express? Eurostar to Paris, for example, is not counted as NR (though should it actually be if it calls at Ashford International?). I mean, this is all highly theoretically - HEx would necessitate the buying of separate tickets and having to return from Heathrow either on yet another express, or the Piccadilly Line. Plus it's also a pretty inconvenient 2tph at 25 and 55 minutes past the hour out of Paddington!!