Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 2

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
RJSRdg
Zone 6
Posts: 716
Joined: 16 Mar 2015, 00:35

Re: Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 2

Post by RJSRdg » 30 Nov 2016, 09:31

As I understand things, Eurostar uses its own platforms at AI (as these platforms require passport checks), as it does at SPI. So while Eurostar uses 'same rails' as Southeastern between SPI and AI, it doesn't use the same rails at either station...
Currently 4th place in the Bottle Challenge league table
Currently 3rd place Zone1/Zone 2 Challenge

RJSRdg
Zone 6
Posts: 716
Joined: 16 Mar 2015, 00:35

Re: Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 2

Post by RJSRdg » 01 Dec 2016, 09:28

Thinking about this a bit more, as there are trains from Paddington at 33 and 35 minutes past (i.e. just after the 12:30 start time) perhaps it would be a sensible place to start the round?
Currently 4th place in the Bottle Challenge league table
Currently 3rd place Zone1/Zone 2 Challenge

User avatar
The Orange One
All Zones
Posts: 2595
Joined: 18 Jun 2013, 14:23
Location: Three metres due south of you. Wherever you are.
Contact:

Re: Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 2

Post by The Orange One » 01 Dec 2016, 12:30

RJSRdg wrote:Thinking about this a bit more, as there are trains from Paddington at 33 and 35 minutes past (i.e. just after the 12:30 start time) perhaps it would be a sensible place to start the round?
We don't want Paddington (NR) in there if we can help it!!!
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.

RJSRdg
Zone 6
Posts: 716
Joined: 16 Mar 2015, 00:35

Re: Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 2

Post by RJSRdg » 01 Dec 2016, 19:33

But if everyone catches either the 12:33 or 12:35 to EB, we get it out of the way easily. Better that than finding it's drawn as one of the other 14 and we're left at the mercy of a 20+ minute wait.
Currently 4th place in the Bottle Challenge league table
Currently 3rd place Zone1/Zone 2 Challenge

User avatar
The Orange One
All Zones
Posts: 2595
Joined: 18 Jun 2013, 14:23
Location: Three metres due south of you. Wherever you are.
Contact:

Re: Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 2

Post by The Orange One » 01 Dec 2016, 20:25

RJSRdg wrote:But if everyone catches either the 12:33 or 12:35 to EB, we get it out of the way easily. Better that than finding it's drawn as one of the other 14 and we're left at the mercy of a 20+ minute wait.
The other thing is if you ensure Paddington (NR) is in there then the probability of having both Paddington (NR) and Marylebone (NR) is higher. There's also Stratford International (NR) and St Johns, the latter also has frequency issues and the former has ticket issues! So given there's four stations to avoid do we really need to increase the probability of any one coming out?
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.

User avatar
greatkingrat
All Zones
Posts: 2416
Joined: 11 Feb 2005, 00:35

Re: Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 2

Post by greatkingrat » 01 Dec 2016, 20:45

As far as Stratford International (NR) goes, it should not be in the hat at all as it is not in zones 1 or 2, or indeed in any zone.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver

DrainBrain
Zone 6
Posts: 915
Joined: 04 Jun 2013, 09:42
Location: South of the Thames

Re: Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 2

Post by DrainBrain » 01 Dec 2016, 21:41

If you can't go to or from Stratford International (NR) on a standard Travelcard then I think it should be excluded.

As to all the other inconvenient stations mentioned, that's just part of the challenge.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds

A Challenge
The Twilight Zone
Posts: 3969
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 07:57
Location: London Waterloo

Re: Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 2

Post by A Challenge » 03 Dec 2016, 09:05

There are two stations called St Pancras in London, according to national rail enquiries!
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000

RJSRdg
Zone 6
Posts: 716
Joined: 16 Mar 2015, 00:35

Re: Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 2

Post by RJSRdg » 03 Dec 2016, 11:50

Arguably there could be four - KXSP Underground station, and the MML, international and SE parts of the main station, as each has separate ticket barriers. I can't remember where the Thameslink station is now, but that might be another one!

I'm guessing for the purposes of this challenge, the International, SE and MML parts would all be excluded as the next stops would be Ebbsfleet/Ashford/Lille, SI or Luton respectively - all of which are outside Travelcard zones.


Back to the Paddington issue though - the thought has occurred to me that if Paddington came up, I could end up finishing in Reading (my ticket is valid from there anyway as it's where I live!). Were that to occur, I might not feel particularly inclined to head back to The Bricklayers afterwards, especially if a TTI marked my ticket on either journey....
Currently 4th place in the Bottle Challenge league table
Currently 3rd place Zone1/Zone 2 Challenge

DrainBrain
Zone 6
Posts: 915
Joined: 04 Jun 2013, 09:42
Location: South of the Thames

Re: Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 2

Post by DrainBrain » 03 Dec 2016, 13:11

RJSRdg wrote:Arguably there could be four - KXSP Underground station, and the MML, international and SE parts of the main station, as each has separate ticket barriers. I can't remember where the Thameslink station is now, but that might be another one!

I'm guessing for the purposes of this challenge, the International, SE and MML parts would all be excluded as the next stops would be Ebbsfleet/Ashford/Lille, SI or Luton respectively - all of which are outside Travelcard zones.
The Thameslink part of STP is definitely usable. There's plenty of trains to/from Farringdon/City Thameslink/Blackfriars or even E&C.
RJSRdg wrote:Back to the Paddington issue though - the thought has occurred to me that if Paddington came up, I could end up finishing in Reading (my ticket is valid from there anyway as it's where I live!). Were that to occur, I might not feel particularly inclined to head back to The Bricklayers afterwards, especially if a TTI marked my ticket on either journey....
I seem to recall that during a previous NR challenge I caught a train heading to Portsmouth. I got off long before it got there though.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds

RJSRdg
Zone 6
Posts: 716
Joined: 16 Mar 2015, 00:35

Re: Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 2

Post by RJSRdg » 03 Dec 2016, 18:59

DrainBrain wrote:
RJSRdg wrote:Arguably there could be four - KXSP Underground station, and the MML, international and SE parts of the main station, as each has separate ticket barriers. I can't remember where the Thameslink station is now, but that might be another one!

I'm guessing for the purposes of this challenge, the International, SE and MML parts would all be excluded as the next stops would be Ebbsfleet/Ashford/Lille, SI or Luton respectively - all of which are outside Travelcard zones.
The Thameslink part of STP is definitely usable. There's plenty of trains to/from Farringdon/City Thameslink/Blackfriars or even E&C.
Agreed - I was merely pointing out that the other 'stations' making up SP (with the exception of the Underground) should not be in the 'hat' as they cannot be departd from with a Travelcard.


DrainBrain wrote:
RJSRdg wrote:Back to the Paddington issue though - the thought has occurred to me that if Paddington came up, I could end up finishing in Reading (my ticket is valid from there anyway as it's where I live!). Were that to occur, I might not feel particularly inclined to head back to The Bricklayers afterwards, especially if a TTI marked my ticket on either journey....
I seem to recall that during a previous NR challenge I caught a train heading to Portsmouth. I got off long before it got there though.
Unlike Portsmouth, Reading is the first stop out of Paddington for some services. With a 27 minute gap between some services to Ealing Broadway, plus an eight minute journey time, if I was to just miss a Broadway train it could work out quicker to catch a train to Reading than wait for the next stopper if I had no more stations to visit.
Currently 4th place in the Bottle Challenge league table
Currently 3rd place Zone1/Zone 2 Challenge

A Challenge
The Twilight Zone
Posts: 3969
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 07:57
Location: London Waterloo

Re: Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 2

Post by A Challenge » 03 Dec 2016, 20:15

RJSRdg wrote:Arguably there could be four - KXSP Underground station, and the MML, international and SE parts of the main station, as each has separate ticket barriers. I can't remember where the Thameslink station is now, but that might be another one!

I'm guessing for the purposes of this challenge, the International, SE and MML parts would all be excluded as the next stops would be Ebbsfleet/Ashford/Lille, SI or Luton respectively - all of which are outside Travelcard zones.


Back to the Paddington issue though - the thought has occurred to me that if Paddington came up, I could end up finishing in Reading (my ticket is valid from there anyway as it's where I live!). Were that to occur, I might not feel particularly inclined to head back to The Bricklayers afterwards, especially if a TTI marked my ticket on either journey....
Four-station complex I say:
  • London Kings Cross [KGX]
  • London St Pancras (Intl) [SPX]
  • London St Pancras International [STP]
  • Kings Cross St Pancras Underground
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000

EssexElec
Zone 1
Posts: 2
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 15:31
Location: Romford
Contact:

Re: Random 15 Championship 2016/17: Round 2

Post by EssexElec » 07 Dec 2016, 10:22

Hi All. Just joined the site after taking part in the last Random 15 - where Tangy and I struck lucky by leaving Edgware Road as our final station, given the rather haphazard service being provided that afternoon. Indeed, from stepping off the WB Hammersmith train and thus concluding the Challenge to returning to Great Portland St (for the pub) took 20 mins! All other connections worked really well, so full marks to TfL.

Enjoy the Festive Season, and see you in January.

Neil

Post Reply