45%
17th Dec
55%

Total votes: 11

Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Christmas Park Challenge 2016 - Sat 17th December

Post by Going Underground »

A good turnout of 11 challengers in 10 teams...And here are the results.....

Err well yes the full results would be here had I not had a couple too many beers and left them in the pub... :shock:
So please copy / paste and fill in the gaps with names and times, I seem to remember that everyone finished at Elm Park :lol:

10th Andi; - DNF
9th Andrew (Elsie);
8th Rich (RJSRdg;
7th
6th;
5th;
4th Kev & Nozz; 7:32:30
3rd Andrew (tracktakid);
2nd Tangy;
1st Hugo;
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

I seem to remember it was this:-

10th Andi DNF
9th Andrew (Elsie)
8th Rich (RJSRdg)
7th Stevo
6th David (xcooler123) 07:40:27
5th James
4th Kev & Nozz; 07:32:30
3rd Andrew (tracktakid)
2nd Tangy
1st Hugo

Please correct if I have got this wrong!
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Whilst we wait for all the results to be collated I thought I would start my write up.

Starting at Park Royal with RJSRdg, I decided to get an earlier train than planned due to the Piccadilly Line still playing up a bit. We headed down to Acton Town where we picked up Elsie who had started just before us. All of us went to Chiswick Park where grabbed my photo and ran to Turnham Green. This is where I discovered my lack of fitness (more runs for me over Xmas and into the New Year!!) which would prove interesting later on. Down to Ravenscourt Park where I jumped off for a photo and jumped back on the next train. Headed to Earl's Court where I was hoping to find a Wimbledon train either there or pulling into the station. Arrived on the platform to find one was 5 mins away :x When it arrived I trundled down to Wimbledon Park for my 2nd run of the day to Earlsfield. Made my way through a series of connections to St James's Park. Now for the hardest run of the day but little did I know what was about to come. Arrived at Buckingham Palace to find a huge mass of tourists, police everywhere, crowd control, the lot. It took me 8 minutes to go from one side of the Palace to the other!! Now running as hard as I could to make up time and dodging tourist whilst collecting a picture of Green Park I made it to Hyde Park Corner. I was so tired and exhausted that I got down to platform level and remembered that I hadn't taken a photo :lol: :lol: Thankfully I didn't miss the Piccadilly Line train I wanted to catch.

Headed up to Regent's Park (in my plan I actually forgot to stop here and get the photo which added on more time!) where I got off and ran to Great Portland Street to discover a Met Line train to whisk me up to the NW Corner. By this time I was 10 mins behind my schedule but with some potential room to gain some time back. Wembley Park and Canons Park were both knocked off in quick succession and I headed up to Moor Park where I somehow managed to fit in getting a photo and a toilet break in just over a minute!! Back down to Northwick Park and a run to Kenton to catch a LO Train. Stonebridge Park and Queen's Park were ticked off the list whilst I remembered how much I dislike the Bakerpoo Line. Arrived at Kilburn Park where I would catch my first bus of the day... or so I thought. I waited, and waited, and waited... and it was clear nothing was going to come anytime soon. So an unplanned run where I saw 0 buses that I needed head in my direction but I did see 8(!!) of them going in the opposite direction :roll: . Arrived at Westbourne Park where at train just pulled away to add to my frustration. Next train arrived for a short hop to Ladbroke Grove where I did get lucky with a bus I needed to take me to Holland Park. Made my way through the city and headed up to Belsize Park, Woodside Park and finally finishing the Northern Line section at Tufnell Park.

Up till now I was making time up on my schedule and was only a few minutes out. This all changed when I waited a bus to take me to Finsbury Park for over 10 mins and then got stuck in traffic. When I finally arrived I grabbed the next train and headed out east to knock off the last 3 stations. Thanks to some really sweet changes, by the time I ::made it up to Newbury Park I was back on schedule! Covered off Upton Park and finished at Elm Park in a time of 07:40:27.

Overall happy with how it went especially as this was my first Park Challenge event. My schedule was designed such that if things went smoothly I could make up some time but in the end I was happy to finish on schedule considering the delays I had earlier. I am also getting much more used to the network with every event I do which is great. Looking forward to doing lots more events in the New Year!
David
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

A good turnout of 11 challengers in 10 teams...And here are the results.....

1st and 2nd confirmed as the following.

10th Andi; - DNF
9th Andrew (Elsie);
8th Rich (RJSRdg;
7th
6th;
5th;
3rd Andrew (tracktakid);
2nd Tangy; 07:18:38
1st Hugo; 07:16:21
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I completed in 7:19:04
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

tangy wrote:A good turnout of 11 challengers in 10 teams...And here are the results.....

1st and 2nd confirmed as the following.

10th Andi; - DNF
9th Andrew (Elsie);
8th Rich (RJSRdg;
7th
6th;
5th;
3rd Andrew (tracktakid);
No, Elsie just sneaked it ahead of me owing to my 10-minute delay at Highbury & Islington.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Nearly there with the times now.... update as below

10th Andi; - DNF
9th Richard (RJSRdg); 08:35:53
8th Andrew (Elsie); 08:35:03
7th Steeevooo; 07:49 something??
6th (xcooler123); 07:40:27
5th James (crypto)
3rd Andrew (tracktakid); 7:19:04
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Elsie
Zone 3

Post by Elsie »

Elsie's Christmas Park Challenge 2016 Report

I got up at 06.00 to leave for East Midlands Parkway at 06:50 and caught the 07:35 to London, arriving at 09:00. After a loo break I bought my travel card and headed for the Piccadilly line to Park Royal, arriving at 09:55 to meet @xcooler123 and say hello. I made a mistake here as I took my picture bang on 10:00 – not realising there wouldn’t be a train east for another 9 minutes – but I am a novice at this stuff! :roll:

Changed at Acton Town and then met @RJSRdg at Chiswick Park at 10:27 … as @xcooler123 ran off in to the distance! My mind might be willing but but my body is NOT designed for that kind of commitment! Richard and I passed through Ravenscourt Park (10:43) before I jumped off at Hammersmith to catch the H&C line up to Westbourne Park for 11:01. Two buses were at the stop but neither was a 31 and I had a 6 minute wait here before one came to take me to Holland Park. I got off one stop early (D’oh!) not realising there was a stop almost directly opposite the station. I took the picture of HP at 11:19 and descended the 114(?) steps to the platform to head east to Notting Hill Gate where the change to the District to Wimbledon was very quick; as I arrived onto the platform a Wimbledon train was pulling in. Result!

At Wimbledon Park (11:50), I went up the stairs, took the picture and as I walked back in a train back to Earls Court was arriving :P I got into the right place on this S class train to be able to jump straight off at EC and get to the Piccadilly Line but missed the first train east by seconds due to dawdling people in front. :evil: Andrew, be nice. It’s Christmas!

As I got off at Hyde Park Corner (12:19) it was absolute chaos. There were staff pointing commuters to one exit out, one entrance in due to the “Winter Wonderland” and it was awkward to get through. However, I wanted to walk to Green Park anyway so I could see the memorial to Bomber Command and pay my respects. I’d not seen this before and it was one of my aims for the day so I was happy for this. I arrived at Green Park at 12:31 and got a Victoria train south, then nipped across on the District to knock off St James’s Park at 12:40. I carried on to Embankment and headed north to Regents Park(12:57) and back on to the Bakerloo in the same direction.

As I went up the escalator at Kilburn Park (13:18) Richard ran past me! So Mr. Bond, we meet again! It turns out we’d been to the same stations, albeit in a different order, ending up on the same train. What are the odds?! We then traveled north to Queen’s Park but the next train in on the Bakerloo was a terminator which was annoying. Luckily, an Overground train pulled in and Richard asked a young lad if it went to Stonebridge Park and it did – Thanks kid! Had Richard not thought/asked that, I wouldn’t have considered it. I have a lot to learn! Up to Stonebridge Park for 13:36 and then off at Kenton to make our way to Northwick Park on foot. Richard was miles ahead of me as I simply can’t keep up and when I arrived at NP at 13:54, I thought he’d already caught a train – but he was in the loo so we caught the next Metropolitan up to Moor Park, taking a pic at 14:19.

Kev and Nozza were also at Moor Park and we all went down to Wembley Park together – and his is where fitness really shows. We arrived at Wembley Park where Kev and Nozza shot off the trains faster than lies from a politicians mouth, grabbed their pics and were on the way back in. I got my pic at 14:46 and went straight to the Jubilee platform … to see a train (which K & N must have caught), pulling out. Nuts! The next Stanmore train pulled in to the station but was terminating (Double NUTS!) so we had to wait for another, eventually getting a pic of Canons Park at 15:00, 5 hours and 17/24 stations into the challenge. The bus to Edgeware took an eternity to arrive and seemed to be a perennial “2 mins” away. In reality, this bit can and I guess should be run – but that’s not me :cry:

Jumped onto a southbound train at Edgeware and did Belsize Park at 15:43. I got my picture and went straight back into a waiting lift – but no sign of Rich. I held the doors open (to the consternation of one passenger - to whom I gave the Paddington Bear stare) as I didn’t want to leave Rich behind! We carried on south to Camden Town and had to get to Platform 3 for the Barnet Branch to take us back north. There was a train waiting to leave and I dived on as the doors were shutting … and I did a naughty thing in using my bulk/strength to keep the door open for Rich to get in. He made it, his rucksack nearly didn’t. Oops!

At Woodside Park (16:14) we didn’t need to use the barriers to exit the rear platform, then again, there were quite a few stations today where the barriers were open? We got on the southbound train and in my original plan, I had considered getting off at Archway and getting the bus to Holloway Road to join the Piccadilly to Finsbury Park. Unfortunately, there are road works and bus diversions in place – if I were fitter I would have run/walked this. Richard said it would be just as quick to go to Euston and change to the Victoria so we did that but a person had collapsed at the top of the Victoria Line escalators and was being attended to by staff so everyone (both up and down) had to use the spiral stairs which was, err interesting! We arrived at Finsbury Park (16:54) and there appeared to be two long corridors to exit the station. I lost Richard in the throng of people and I think we went in different directions to get pictures.

I met Richard again at Highbury & Islington where we both caught a very crowded Overground train to Stratford and join the Central Line. This time, we were well and truly split up as the crowds of shoppers and West Ham fans (who organized a finish near a West Ham home game?!) meant that fast progress was impossible. I managed to get straight onto a Central Line train to Newbury Park and arrived there at 17:39. Again, I had thought about (and mentioned to Richard earlier) about changing at Stratford to the Jubilee south to West Ham to pick up the District but after seeing how bad Stratford was on the way I up, I gave it a miss and went to Mile End, arriving for the picture at Upton Park at 18:14. One more to go, I jumped back on and took my final picture at Elm Park at 18:35:03 – giving me a final time of 8 Hours, 35 minutes and 3 seconds.

After I arrived at the Lord Denham, I couldn’t see anybody so I sat like a Billy No Mates at the top and had a pint and posted on the forum. It was only when I went to the loo that I found you all – and had a welcome chat, pint and something hot to eat, all of which were most welcome. I said my farewells around 8pm and headed back into Central London but had to walk from Aldgate East to Aldgate as the H&C’s had a problem! The train back ooop norf left at 22:00 and arrived at a very foggy and damp East Midlands Parkway just after midnight – and I got home at 00:40. This morning, my ankles and knees are screaming at me but I feel absolutely chuffed that I’ve done this; I had a great time! Thanks for the company Richard and to everyone else for making me feel welcome, I’m looking forward to doing something like this again!

I have created a an album of the pictures that I took during the day here - https://goo.gl/photos/e6EWCZxqtD5fwn8v6
Elsie
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Well Done everyone that took part, especially Hugo!
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Elsie wrote:Elsie's Christmas Park Challenge 2016 Report

I met Richard again at Highbury & Islington where we both caught a very crowded Overground train to Stratford
No, I went to the wrong platform (twice!) and missed it! Thanks for the loan of the charger :-)
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
xcooler123
Zone 5

Re: RE: Re: Christmas Park Challenge 2016 - Sat 17th December

Post by xcooler123 »

Elsie wrote:Elsie's Christmas Park Challenge 2016 Report

I got up at 06.00 to leave for East Midlands Parkway at 06:50 and caught the 07:35 to London, arriving at 09:00. After a loo break I bought my travel card and headed for the Piccadilly line to Park Royal, arriving at 09:55 to meet @xcooler123 and say hello. I made a mistake here as I took my picture bang on 10:00 – not realising there wouldn’t be a train east for another 9 minutes – but I am a novice at this stuff! :roll:

Changed at Acton Town and then met @RJSRdg at Chiswick Park at 10:27 … as @xcooler123 ran off in to the distance! My mind might be willing but but my body is NOT designed for that kind of commitment! Richard and I passed through Ravenscourt Park (10:43) before I jumped off at Hammersmith to catch the H&C line up to Westbourne Park for 11:01. Two buses were at the stop but neither was a 31 and I had a 6 minute wait here before one came to take me to Holland Park. I got off one stop early (D’oh!) not realising there was a stop almost directly opposite the station. I took the picture of HP at 11:19 and descended the 114(?) steps to the platform to head east to Notting Hill Gate where the change to the District to Wimbledon was very quick; as I arrived onto the platform a Wimbledon train was pulling in. Result!

At Wimbledon Park (11:50), I went up the stairs, took the picture and as I walked back in a train back to Earls Court was arriving Image I got into the right place on this S class train to be able to jump straight off at EC and get to the Piccadilly Line but missed the first train east by seconds due to dawdling people in front. :evil: Andrew, be nice. It’s Christmas!

As I got off at Hyde Park Corner (12:19) it was absolute chaos. There were staff pointing commuters to one exit out, one entrance in due to the “Winter Wonderland” and it was awkward to get through. However, I wanted to walk to Green Park anyway so I could see the memorial to Bomber Command and pay my respects. I’d not seen this before and it was one of my aims for the day so I was happy for this. I arrived at Green Park at 12:31 and got a Victoria train south, then nipped across on the District to knock off St James’s Park at 12:40. I carried on to Embankment and headed north to Regents Park(12:57) and back on to the Bakerloo in the same direction.

As I went up the escalator at Kilburn Park (13:18) Richard ran past me! So Mr. Bond, we meet again! It turns out we’d been to the same stations, albeit in a different order, ending up on the same train. What are the odds?! We then traveled north to Queen’s Park but the next train in on the Bakerloo was a terminator which was annoying. Luckily, an Overground train pulled in and Richard asked a young lad if it went to Stonebridge Park and it did – Thanks kid! Had Richard not thought/asked that, I wouldn’t have considered it. I have a lot to learn! Up to Stonebridge Park for 13:36 and then off at Kenton to make our way to Northwick Park on foot. Richard was miles ahead of me as I simply can’t keep up and when I arrived at NP at 13:54, I thought he’d already caught a train – but he was in the loo so we caught the next Metropolitan up to Moor Park, taking a pic at 14:19.

Kev and Nozza were also at Moor Park and we all went down to Wembley Park together – and his is where fitness really shows. We arrived at Wembley Park where Kev and Nozza shot off the trains faster than lies from a politicians mouth, grabbed their pics and were on the way back in. I got my pic at 14:46 and went straight to the Jubilee platform … to see a train (which K & N must have caught), pulling out. Nuts! The next Stanmore train pulled in to the station but was terminating (Double NUTS!) so we had to wait for another, eventually getting a pic of Canons Park at 15:00, 5 hours and 17/24 stations into the challenge. The bus to Edgeware took an eternity to arrive and seemed to be a perennial “2 mins” away. In reality, this bit can and I guess should be run – but that’s not me :cry:

Jumped onto a southbound train at Edgeware and did Belsize Park at 15:43. I got my picture and went straight back into a waiting lift – but no sign of Rich. I held the doors open (to the consternation of one passenger - to whom I gave the Paddington Bear stare) as I didn’t want to leave Rich behind! We carried on south to Camden Town and had to get to Platform 3 for the Barnet Branch to take us back north. There was a train waiting to leave and I dived on as the doors were shutting … and I did a naughty thing in using my bulk/strength to keep the door open for Rich to get in. He made it, his rucksack nearly didn’t. Oops!

At Woodside Park (16:14) we didn’t need to use the barriers to exit the rear platform, then again, there were quite a few stations today where the barriers were open? We got on the southbound train and in my original plan, I had considered getting off at Archway and getting the bus to Holloway Road to join the Piccadilly to Finsbury Park. Unfortunately, there are road works and bus diversions in place – if I were fitter I would have run/walked this. Richard said it would be just as quick to go to Euston and change to the Victoria so we did that but a person had collapsed at the top of the Victoria Line escalators and was being attended to by staff so everyone (both up and down) had to use the spiral stairs which was, err interesting! We arrived at Finsbury Park (16:54) and there appeared to be two long corridors to exit the station. I lost Richard in the throng of people and I think we went in different directions to get pictures.

I met Richard again at Highbury & Islington where we both caught a very crowded Overground train to Stratford and join the Central Line. This time, we were well and truly split up as the crowds of shoppers and West Ham fans (who organized a finish near a West Ham home game?!) meant that fast progress was impossible. I managed to get straight onto a Central Line train to Newbury Park and arrived there at 17:39. Again, I had thought about (and mentioned to Richard earlier) about changing at Stratford to the Jubilee south to West Ham to pick up the District but after seeing how bad Stratford was on the way I up, I gave it a miss and went to Mile End, arriving for the picture at Upton Park at 18:14. One more to go, I jumped back on and took my final picture at Elm Park at 18:35:03 – giving me a final time of 8 Hours, 35 minutes and 3 seconds.

After I arrived at the Lord Denham, I couldn’t see anybody so I sat like a Billy No Mates at the top and had a pint and posted on the forum. It was only when I went to the loo that I found you all – and had a welcome chat, pint and something hot to eat, all of which were most welcome. I said my farewells around 8pm and headed back into Central London but had to walk from Aldgate East to Aldgate as the H&C’s had a problem! The train back ooop norf left at 22:00 and arrived at a very foggy and damp East Midlands Parkway just after midnight – and I got home at 00:40. This morning, my ankles and knees are screaming at me but I feel absolutely chuffed that I’ve done this; I had a great time! Thanks for the company Richard and to everyone else for making me feel welcome, I’m looking forward to doing something like this again!

I have created a an album of the pictures that I took during the day here - https://goo.gl/photos/e6EWCZxqtD5fwn8v6
My legs are very much feeling it this morning! Glad you had a great time on your first event. Most of the other events are shorter than the Park Challenge so hopefully less onerous on you coming down from Leicestershire. Hope to see you in the New Year Image

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk
David
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Reports time, I suppose!! My route being:

Park Royal (snap) :arrow: Acton Town :arrow: Chiswick Park (snap) :arrow: Turnham Green (run) :arrow: Ravenscourt Park (snap) :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: Wimbledon Park (snap) :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: Hyde Park Corner (snap) :arrow: Green Park (C2 bus, snap) :arrow: Victoria :arrow: St. James's Park (snap) :arrow: Victoria :arrow: Oxford Circus :arrow: Regent's Park (snap) :arrow: Oxford Circus :arrow: Holland Park (snap) :arrow: Ladbroke Grove (run) :arrow: Westbourne Park (snap) :arrow: Kilburn Park (328 bus, snap) :arrow: Queen's Park (snap) :arrow: Stonebridge Park (snap) :arrow: Kenton :arrow: Northwick Park (run, snap) :arrow: Moor Park (snap) :arrow: Wembley Park (snap) :arrow: Canons Park (snap) :arrow: Edgware (340 bus) :arrow: Belsize Park (snap) :arrow: Camden Town :arrow: Woodside Park (snap) :arrow: Tufnell Park (snap) :arrow: Holloway Road/Seven Sisters Road (43 bus) :arrow: Finsbury Park (29 bus, snap) :arrow: Highbury and Islington :arrow: Stratford :arrow: Newbury Park (snap) :arrow: Stratford :arrow: West Ham :arrow: Upton Park (snap) :arrow: Elm Park (snap)

I arrived at Park Royal (from Hanger Lane) to find Tangy waiting to start the stopwatch and no signs of other challengers! Tangy started his stopwatch, I waited by the helpful bridge with a view onto the tracks to see the train come into view before starting mine and joining him, and James/crypto (who also ran for the train at that point) on the 10:22 train. We all went to Acton Town and changed onto the District Line to Chiswick Park, then we all left the station. James ran for Chiswick High Road (and we didn't see him again until the pub), while myself and Tangy did the conventional run to Turnham Green. No evil early running Richmond train this time, just easily into the station and the train came in about 30 seconds after that. Thence to Ravenscourt Park, outside and back in again, on to Earl's Court where we had a 15 second turnaround onto a Wimbledon train!! To Wimbledon Park, where we met Richard who joined us back up to Earl's Court. At Earl's Court, we bailed from the District Line, finally, to board our second and final Piccadilly Line train of the day to take us up to Hyde Park Corner.

At Hyde Park Corner, we exited the station to find a 19 and a 14 had just pulled out of the usual 9/14/19/22 bus stop, so myself and Tangy legged it down to the Hard Rock Café stop. The 19 pulled in to regulate the service, while the 14 just sailed by (daaaah) but I was able to board a convenient C2 up the road to Green Park. Tangy did not make this bus, but was able to catch another C2 following shortly behind and caught me up by Green Park. Onwards to St. James's Park via Victoria, take the picture, then back to Victoria (where I just missed a train) and back through Green Park on the Victoria Line to Oxford Circus. Cross platform onto the Bakerloo Line up to Regent's Park, where a lack of lift meant we slogged it up the 96 steps to the ticket hall, outside, pausing to take our pictures at the bottom of the steps (or in Tangy's case, some way up) once the general public had moved enough to catch the station sign. Back down to Oxford Circus thence to the Central Line, where I just missed a train again (once more allowing Tangy to catch me up) and out to Holland Park. Here we went over to the bus stop to find the next 228 bus in 10 minutes. Big fat nope from me, so we ran up and down the hill to Ladbroke Grove, where Tangy collapsed on the platform with a 2 minute wait for the next train, which we took to Westbourne Park.

At Westbourne Park, we discovered a Steeevooo which was about to join our little ensemble. We waited with said Steeevooo (both myself and Tangy weren't really up for any more running) at the bus stop for a 328, which pulled up and promptly prepared to change driver. We dithered over whether to change onto a 31 or another 328 behind, the 328 behind decided it wanted to change driver too, we boarded the 31, which went a bit up the road and decided it too wanted to change driver. By this time the first 328 had changed driver and had pulled away, so we bailed on the 31 and chased it down and caught up with it near Harrow Road. It was off to Kilburn Park, very slowly, then into the station and onto the Bakerloo Line. A Queen's Park was first, then a Harrow and Wealdstone was showing as arriving in 5, with an Overground apparently getting to Queen's Park at about the same time according to Tangy - which was that whole sequence sorted. The three of us went to take our pictures at Queen's Park, then boarded the Overground train up to Stonebridge Park. Turned out that Harrow and Wealdstone train was quite a bit further behind, so I had enough time at Stonebridge Park to get a drink from the nearby newsagents before it was on to Kenton for the run to Northwick Park. Missed a train at Northwick Park, but it was an Uxbridge train, so we waited for the next train (a Chesham) and I took some pictures of the fog. We then sat back for the long haul up to Moor Park, where we had a 2 minute turnaround, enough time to take a picture, then back down for the even longer haul to Wembley Park. At Wembley Park, we took our pictures outside the station before jumping on the Jubilee Line up to Canons Park, where after taking our pictures Steeevooo left us to return back into town on the Met, while myself and Tangy boarded a 340 bus towards Edgware.

The bus got stuck in traffic, so myself and Tangy hopped off one stop before and ran the rest of the way to Edgware. I arrived first, and noticing a Northern Line train on Platform 1 ready to depart, rushed down the stairs to board it. Tangy arrived just to see the train, with me aboard, leaving. Took the train down to Belsize Park, got the lift up, took the picture, back into the same lift, back down again, then onto the train that Tangy arrived on. Quick change at Camden Town and then up to Woodside Park, with a 2 or so minute wait to turn around, before on down to Tufnell Park. At Tufnell Park, I hopped on a 43 bus waiting there for me, which took me down to Holloway. There followed a 3 minute wait for any of the buses to Finsbury Park (of which there are six: the 4, 29, 153, 253, 254 and 259) during which Tangy caught up. Rats! Onwards to Finsbury Park, where I ran into the station, got to the top of the platform, realised I hadn't taken a photo, ran to the other exit, took the photo, ran back into the station, and got to the platform to find at least Tangy hadn't gone yet. Turned out we were at Finsbury Park at exactly the wrong time to throw in a Greater Anglia train from Tottenham Hale to Stratford, so back down to Highbury and Islington and onto a slow, slow Overground to Stratford. At Stratford, we hopped aboard a Newbury Park terminator, went to Newbury Park, took our pictures and discovered we were both on schedule to beat the existing record at "07:19:something"!! Slightly excited, we went back down to Stratford, jumped aboard a packed Jubilee Line train to West Ham (ugh, West Ham supporters) and then onto the District Line to Upton Park, where we took our pictures and headed back down to the platform.

Then, of course, we had a 6 minute wait while District after District went past westbound and c2c after c2c whizzed by. Finally, an Upminster service turned up and we took this right up to Elm Park for the finish. Then we went back to Dagenham Heathway, picked up some much needed sustenance and went to the pub...

In conclusion: Shedloads of luck are all that make the difference, really...
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
Elsie
Zone 3

Post by Elsie »

I am enjoying these reports, seeing the other routea and methods that you guys employ. I do hope Steve does one as I want to understand how he got an (illegal?!) Javelin train into the mix!
Elsie
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Nice pics BTW Andrew :)
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Elsie wrote:I am enjoying these reports, seeing the other routea and methods that you guys employ. I do hope Steve does one as I want to understand how he got an (illegal?!) Javelin train into the mix!
Javelin is a perfectly legal move!! It's scheduled public transport, is it not?
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.