quisquidillius' attempts and failures

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
quisquidillius
Zone 3

quisquidillius' attempts and failures

Post by quisquidillius »

Hello,

I have done a few alternative challenges now. I did many of them with some of my friends (there are four of us in total who like tube challenging). This is just the first post of the thread; each challenge attempt will get a different post.
Zone 1 Challenge (Olympics 2016): 3:44:31.67 - we were very unlucky indeed!
South London Challenge (Summer 2016): 1:58:40 - going to try again soon!
All Lines Challenge (August 2016): 44:38 - happy with this ... For now!
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Re: quisquidillius' attempts and failures

Post by Tube Geek »

Preiduction:

attempts:failures 10:7

Random, I know, but just expressing my predictions. Which i am usually *bleep* at
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
quisquidillius
Zone 3

Post by quisquidillius »

All Lines Challenge attempt #1 (July 2016):

I first started by taking a ride to my start station (Farringdon). Eventually I got there, and I waited for the 'perfect three' to come up. Alas, I got confused, and the three were in order, but they weren't very perfect (the waits were 1, 3 and 6 I think). I am pretty sure I should have been more patient - and waited for a perfect three - not just three! My change to the Central Line was rubbish, because a leak (or something) was causing congestion on the platform (paper had to be put down to dry it up). I also had never done this change before, so I was following the signs. I just made a train though, but it was really close. At Bank, my connection was awful to the W&C. I'd never been on the W&C, so I both didn't know the way to it, and I didn't know about the ticket barriers! So I took my rucksack off and spent a good couple of minutes searching for my Oyster card. I almost certainly missed a train, as there was a long wait for the next (well, about three or four minutes). At Waterloo, I panicked (on the Northern Line platforms now) that I couldn't find my phone. I even let a train go past. I was just doing a final check before I would report it as missing and go back to look for it when I found that it had slipped into a pocket of my bag. At Embankment, something went right! I got to the District Line platforms to see just a one minute wait for a District Line train. At Westminster, my biggest stupid error yet occurred. I spent a good five or ten seconds checking which Jubilee Line platform to go to. I then proceeded to run to the wrong one, and board the wrong train (it was in the platform so I ran for it). I realised my mistake when I arrived at Waterloo. I double-backed onto another Jubilee to Green Park, where the change was refreshingly good. A one minute wait for the Victoria. On I get and it's a couple more mediocre changes until Piccadilly Circus. All I had to do was take the Piccadilly Line. While I originally intended to go to Leicester Square, I noticed that there was a four minute wait in that direction, but only one in the other. So, I stood waiting on the other platform. I must have been daydreaming and forgotten about taking the train that came first, because the Leicester Square train came and went, while my 'one minute' train failed to materialise. After a few more seconds, it finally turned up, and I got on. I finished at Green Park with a time of 55:30. I think that I could get this under 45 minutes with my current running ability, maybe 40 minutes if I get really lucky. I intend to do this challenge many times until I get a time I am happy with. I think I have found all of the optimal routes (in that, I mean the ones that go only one stop on each line), and I think this route is one of the fastest ones. I have a faster one, but I think that the connections are busier and longer.
Sarnian
Zone 1

Post by Sarnian »

For what it's worth, I did the All Lines using exactly the same route when I was between airports last week and managed it in 41:02, so you can definitely take a few minutes off that 55:30 ;)
Next station: Jurong East. Cross over to platform D for train service towards Woodlands and Ang Mo Kio.
All Lines PB: 41:02 Zone 1 PB: 2:52:43
quisquidillius
Zone 3

Post by quisquidillius »

Sarnian wrote:For what it's worth, I did the All Lines using exactly the same route when I was between airports last week and managed it in 41:02, so you can definitely take a few minutes off that 55:30 ;)
I think that when I try again this week (probably), I am going to aim for 45:00.