Tube Olympics 2016: Event 5- Full Network

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tangy
Site Administrator

Tube Olympics 2016: Event 5- Full Network

Post by tangy »

The fifth challenge for Tube Olympics is the grand daddy of them all, yes, the Full Network. This is a marathon, involving visiting all 270 London Underground stations in the fastest time. This will take place on Friday 22nd June 2016.

For those new to this, please be aware that the Full Network is not an easy challenge, it is an all day event and takes at least 16 hours to do the whole attempt (and involves a lot more running/transfers between stations). I am not trying to put anyone off, but is just a warning as to what to expect.

When route planning please be aware of the very limited service at Kensington Olympia on the District line, you MUST arrive or depart this station by London Underground train for your attempt to be valid.

Holland Park and Lambeth North stations are closed for lift refurbishment but a pass through of both stations is allowed. There is also the ongoing closure of the GOBLIN route to be aware of.

You can start at any time and at any station that suits you, there will be no formal meet up before the start. Similarly there is no formal meet up at the end of the challenge, you can text me your finish time and station and PM or email me your journey log or report it to me directly the next day at the closing ceremony (if you are attending both events).The results in any case will not be read out until the closing ceremony, on Saturday 23rd July, in any case.

We will be working under full proper Guinness World Record rules, which are very similar to the rules for the other smaller challengers that I adjudicate. Challengers who are going for the world record should make sure they have all the evidence that Guinness require you to collect.

In summary:
--Transfers between stations can only be made on foot or by scheduled, timetabled public transport (i.e. bus, NR trains, DLR), no private transport is permitted (i.e. car, push bike, motorbike, hoverboard).
--Other operators' trains running over the SAME tracks as London Underground trains can be used as part of the challenge- i.e it is permitted to use the Overground between Harrow & Wealdstone and Queen's Park for instance.
--Your stopwatch starts when the doors on the first train are locked closed ready for departure and the stopwatch is stopped when the first member of your team sets foot on the platform at your finish station. However if you arrived at your last station on foot (or by another network) you must keep your stopwatch going until you reach the NEXT station in any direction. The same applies if your last station is temporarily closed and you could not alight.
-- The trains you choose must call at the station for it to be counted as a visit, for example Metropolitan line "fast" trains do not count for the stations that they do not call at. Except as mentioned above for Lambeth North and Holland Park.
--Please ensure journey logs are comprehensive and shows the full route you took. Additional evidence like time stamped photos at stations and train diagram numbers are only really required for those who are going for the world record, but is good practice if you do, for future challenges.

Tangy.
the TOSA.
Last edited by tangy on 18 Jul 2016, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Tube Olympics 2016: Event 5- Full Network

Post by Going Underground »

Attending
GU

Also I will be doing this solo so if anyone is around to support / offer drink drop during the day please let me know... Thanks
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

An update to my previous offer, I shall be in town doing leg 3 of my Labyrinth challenge on Friday 22 July, before attending the Anniversary Games athletics meeting at the Olympic Stadium. If times coincide I would be willing to help, support or encourage. Don't expect me to go out of my way, though! :)

I'll be doing the following section : Starting at 10:50 at Preston Road, then Metropolitan to Northwick Park, walk to Kenton, Bakerloo to Harrow & Wealdstone then Elephant & Castle (13:35), Northern to London Bridge, Jubilee to Southwark then West Ham, finishing at 14:20ish. After checking into my hotel, I'll then be in the Stratford area until the athletics start at 19:00.

Also, since I take all my photos with my iPhone, I'm going to try live-tweeting my progress (@diamond_tittle), internet connectivity permitting. Follow me and I'll retweet any progress updates on the challenge and any status updates that may be helpful.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Sadly I shall have to miss out on this one as

(a) I'm not fit enough - getting better but certainly not up to running distances like Cockfosters-New Barnet or the Rayners Lane Hill, especially if the Snaresbrook run has to be used with the Goblin OOS.

(b) I have family visiting that day. It was one thing getting a 'pass out' from them for the R15 the next day, but I think it would be a bit impolite for me to travel up to ?????? after work on Thursday and not get back home until the small hours of Saturday morning.
Last edited by RJSRdg on 18 Jul 2016, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Attending
GU
xcooler123
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

Attending
GU
xcooler123
DrainBrain

... though I haven't yet decided what I'm doing exactly.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Good luck to all FNCers (you should be underway by now)!!
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

The Orange One wrote:Good luck to all FNCers (you should be underway by now)!!
All 3 of them...

But yes, good luck! No problems as of yet, but that can still change!
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

I think there are others out there who haven't put their name in this thread.

I actually decided I wasn't ready, so I'm not challenging, but will be around on Saturday.

Good luck to anyone who is out there today.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I've visited 12 stations so far!
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

greatkingrat wrote:I've visited 12 stations so far!
greatkingrat the world's earliest starting tube challenger! Why the late start?

COYR
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Still only 12 stations, but I did visit them all again this evening just to make sure. Bumped into Tangy at High Barnet on my way home, he was heading off to Cockfosters.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Any idea who's in the lead at the moment? And can everyone post when they finish? As I would love to know who won!

COYR
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

I visited 17 stations today.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The TOSA here with results of Tube Olympics Event 5- the Full Network.

There was 5 challengers in 4 teams:

4th: Matt Scrivin who completed 101 stations in 07:51:23. Aldgate East- Bank.
3rd: Tangy who completed all 270 in a time of 18:23:54. Heathrow T4- Amersham.
2nd: Kevin Brown who completed all 270 in a time of 18:10:29. Heathrow T4- Acton Town.
1st: Clive Burgess and David Edwards who completed all 270 in a time of 17:26:05. Chesham- Heathrow T5.

After a string of silvers, Clive gains a second gold. David Edwards claims his first medal of the Olympics, Kevin his third silver and Tangy a bronze to go with his gold from Zone 1.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.