Random 15 Championship 2015/16: Round 6

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
RJSRdg
All Zones

Re: Random 15 Championship 2015/16: Round 6

Post by RJSRdg »

My two new recruits now confirmed for Saturday - they will probably join me as a team as it's their first time out but they haven't confirmed that yet.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

I will be attending the R15 but as I have just got into my bed I feel the Parkrun nay be a little bit of a stretch

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

I'm decided to miss out on today too. :( I hope you all have a good end of season finale.

If someone could bring back some cooler weather it would be much appreciated.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Hours before the start, here are the contenders for winner of the Random 15 Championship:

Kevin Brown
Andrew Chilcraft/Steve McSherry
Tangy
Andrew Baker
Myself

I am not attending this event, but here are the possibilities:

- Kevin comes first :arrow: Kevin wins the championship.
- Kevin comes second or less, and Andrew C/Steve wins :arrow: Andrew C/Steve wins the championship.
- Kevin comes second otherwise :arrow: Kevin wins the championship.
- Kevin comes third or less, and Andrew C/Steve come second :arrow: Andrew C/Steve wins the championship.
- Kevin comes third or less, Andrew C/Steve comes third or less, and Tangy wins :arrow: Tangy wins the championship.
- Kevin comes third or less, Andrew C/Steve comes third or less, Tangy comes second or less, and Andrew B wins :arrow: Andrew B wins the championship.
- Kevin comes third or less, Andrew C/Steve comes third or less, Tangy comes second or less, and Andrew B comes second or less :arrow: I win the championship.

So, I'd give odds:

1/1 Kevin Brown
2/1 Andrew Chilcraft/Steve McSherry
5/1 Tangy
10/1 Andrew Baker
20/1 Myself (given four teams have to do badly enough)

If I'd won the last round, there'd have been no contest for winner (just for second, third etc) but it's more fun this way isn't it?
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Unfortunately I had to leave before the final results were read out, but here's how Chris, David and I got on.

I was able to locate most of the stations on the map straight off, but Kensal Green took some finding, so we decided to get on a train and look for it once the train was underway. As NHG is well towards the west of the challenge area, my original thought was to knock out the stations west of NHG on the H&C and District first. So we headed north on the District for a Paddington change to knock out Royal Oak first. As we got underway, I spotted Kensal Green on the map and realised it would make more sense to do Willesden Green first, cut through to Kensal Green somehow then down to Warwick Avenue and Royal Oak. So we carried on to Edgware Road and Baker Street, where we only had to wait a couple of minutes for the Met to Finchley Road. It was only then that I realised a better start would have been to have headed to Bond Street on the Central and thence to Willesden Green!

As we travelled northwards, Chris went online and started looking up different routes to Willesden Jn or Kensal Green. Once at Kensal Green I found a bus stop with a map showing the 260 to Willesden Junction, but it wasn't until after a 260 had passed in the opposite direction that we realised we were on the wrong side of the road! Faced with a seven minute wait for the next one, Chris announced that "we could be halfway to Kensal Green in 7 minutes!" so we set of, initially at a run, but slowing down due to the heat. We reached KG 1 hour down and only two stations plus NHG done. Down onto the platform and a brief wait, then on to a southbound Bakerloo. A bottle of water, something to eat, and a sit down (aided by several signal checks in the Queens Park area) and we were ready to go again for the Warwick Park to Royal Oak run. From here life got easier as Wood Lane and Goldhawk Road were easily knocked off, and even the pelican crossings at Hammersmith were kind to us. District to EC via Baron's Court, then my original mistake began to cost us as we had to bail out of an Upminster train to go back to NHG (2 hours gone and back where we started, though at least we'd now done half the stations). Across to Bond Street via Lancaster Gate and down the Jubilee to Westminster where Andrew C boarded as we got off, which gave us some hope as it meant we weren't all that far behind him (though if we hadn't had to go back to the Central line we would probably have been well ahead). Doubled back via Sid James's Park then back on the Jubilee via Southwark to London Bridge, then Bank and St Paul's, where I discovered I had lost my Travelcard! Time lost searching for it, then I was allowed through the barrier and had to buy a new one from the machine. Up and alongside the cathedral to Cannon Street (the road), where we narrowly missed a ride on a Heritage 15 Routemaster (part of a bizarre convoy of two RMs, an RLW and an open-top Atlantean), instead running down to Mansion House where the next two trains were a Tower Hill and a Circle, but fortunately only a 3-minute wait for the next Upminster which we took to Whitechapel. A very tight change there to the East London for Highbury & Islington, then one stop on the Vic to Finsbury Park to validate H&I. Total time 3:19:35.

Unfortunately I don't know where this came on the leaderboard as I had to leave before Tangy announced the results, however I doubt it was in the top three.
Last edited by RJSRdg on 31 Jul 2016, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

RJSRdg wrote:A very tight change there to the East London for Highbury & Islington, then one stop on the Vic to Finsbury Park to validate H&I.
Why did you need to do this? As you arrived at H&I by train, and that counts as a visit. Unless it was a twist round, but as Round 5 was and there was no mention if it in the thread, I don't think it was!
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

It's because it wasn't a twist that he had to go on the Vic. It is a tube Challenge and not an Overground one.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Don't feed the troll
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

al wrote:It's because it wasn't a twist that he had to go on the Vic. It is a tube Challenge and not an Overground one.
Right, get it now - thanks!

COYR
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

tractakid wrote:Don't feed the troll
Says the one

COYR
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Putting my BERC and TOSA hats on for this. This event was the sixth and final round of the 2015/16 Random 15 Championship as well as being the final event of Tube Olympics 2016. So there was the usual Random 15 points available for the leaderboard as well as Olympic medal up for grabs.

This was a bog standard Underground only zone 1 and 2 "normal" round and with only the Wimbledon branch closed, there was quite a pool of stations to play about with. The generator gave us the following:

--Notting Hill Gate (meet up)
--St. James's Park
--Royal Oak
--Whitechapel
--Bond Street
--Goldhawk Road
--Barons Court
--Highbury & Islington
--Cannon Street LU
--Willesden Green
--Lancaster Gate
--Southwark
--Wood Lane
--St. Paul's
--Kensal Green

There was 12 challengers split into 8 teams, therefore in reverse order:

8th: Richard Standing, Chris & David Rock: 03:19:35 at Finsbury Park
7th: Clive Burgess: 03:12:20 at Whitechapel
=5th: Tangy: 03:08:41 at Finsbury Park **
=5th: Andrew Chilcraft 03:08:41 at Finsbury Park **
4th: Glen Bryant: 03:06:52 at Southwark
3rd: Kevin Brown, Damian Cook and Andrew Baker: 02:58:32 at Southwark
2nd: Peter Smyth: 02:31:28 at Willesden Green
1st: David Edwards: 02:31:23 at King's Cross

**Myself and Andrew Chilcraft finished the last bit of our respective routes on the same trains as each other, however there was a few minutes difference between the two stopwatch times when we reached the pub. Therefore it was agreed between the both of us to use the slower of the two.

For Tube Olympics, David claims his second gold, Peter claims silver to go with his gold won at an earlier event and the TOSA will need more medals for the three man team who finished in bronze.

The Random 15 leaderboard is now finalised as follows, with 29 different challengers taking part throughout the season but only two who have had to drop points due to having gained points in every round.

=1st: The Orange One: 44 points [5 rounds attended]
=1st: Kevin Brown: 44 points [5]
3rd: Andrew Chilcraft: 42 points [6] *a worse score of 6 deducted*
4th: Andrew Baker: 41 points [6] *a worse score of 0 deducted, finished outside the points in round 5*
5th: Tangy: 40 points [6] *a worse score of 5 deducted*
6th: Peter Smyth: 39 points [6] *a worse score of 0 deducted, had a DSQ in round 3*
7th: Steve McSherry: 36 points [4]
=8th: Glen Bryant: 27 points [5]
=8th: Sam Smith: 27 points [4]
10th: Damian Cook: 25 points [3]
11th: Richard Standing: 21 points [3]
12th: Josh Ageros: 20 points [3]
=13th: Nick Gardner: 15 points [4]
=13th: Harry Ageros: 15 points [2]
=15th: Alex Kneller: 12 points [2]
=15th: Rhys Benjamin: 12 points [1]
=15th: David Edwards: 12 points [1]
=18th: James Ross: 10 points [2]
=18th: Leam Farrar: 10 points [1]
20th: Sam Inman: 7 points [2]
21st: Richard Martin: 6 points [1]
22nd: Clive Burgess: 4 points [1]
=23rd: Tom Wood: 3 points [1]
=23rd: Andi James: 3 points [1]
=23rd: Das Stevens: 3 points [1]
=23rd: Chris Rock: 3 points [1]
=23rd: David Rock: 3 points [1]
28th: Eleanor Spanjar: 2 points [1]
29th: Aaron Dadd: 0 points [1]

Just like last season, there was a tie for Random 15 champion. So the champion was decided on the performance of each challenger throughout the season. Therefore Kevin Brown was crowned the champion with two wins and two third places compared with The Orange One's two wins and one third place. Full breakdown of points awarded throughout the season available on request.

Thank you everyone for attending the Random 15 throughout the season and hope to see many of you for another season which will start in September 2016 (final dates to be advised). Now I think I should join the conductors at Southern Rail and go on strike...

Tangy
BERC/TOSA.
Last edited by tangy on 24 Jul 2016, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Congrats to everyone, and Kevin especially!

Also, I was just wondering if anyone was doing anything on 21st August, as I will be in London that day (to go on the Dangleway which opened in my birthday) so might see people around!
Last edited by Tube Geek on 24 Jul 2016, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

COYR
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

Tube Geek wrote:Congrats to everyone, and Kevin especially!

Also, I was just wondering if anyone was doing anything on 21st July, as I will be in London that day (to go on the Dangleway which opened in my birthday) so might see people around!
I have checked my diary and yes I was in London on 21st July, which was last Thursday. Didn't see you anywhere.
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

tufnellpark wrote:
Tube Geek wrote:Congrats to everyone, and Kevin especially!

Also, I was just wondering if anyone was doing anything on 21st July, as I will be in London that day (to go on the Dangleway which opened in my birthday) so might see people around!
I have checked my diary and yes I was in London on 21st July, which was last Thursday. Didn't see you anywhere.
Meant August

COYR
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Thanks to all that took part in both the R15 championship and Tube Olympics especially the BERC /TOSA for all the arrangements, medals and prizes.... :D

A much needed rest for me now but not too bad a time with 3 silvers, 1 bronze and the shock of just getting the R15 Crown :shock:

Life in the old dog yet :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold