Tube Olympics 2016: Event 3- Zone 1 Challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tangy
Site Administrator

Tube Olympics 2016: Event 3- Zone 1 Challenge

Post by tangy »

The third event in the 2016 Tube Olympics will be a Zone 1 Challenge held on Wednesday 13th July.

The challenge will commence at 18:30 from Hyde Park Corner. Please gather beforehand in the ticket hall by 18:25. Your stopwatch can be started when the doors on the first train in your chosen direction are locked closed AFTER 18:30:00. You will have one attempt.

Usual Zone 1 Challenge rules will apply- for those who need a refresh, you can view them here: http://www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubecha ... 1rules.htm

Please also consider the current closure of the Bakerloo platforms at Paddington (Praed Street). You can only visit this station on the Circle/District line platforms... not forgetting to visit the separate Paddington H&C too!

Post challenge meet up will be as always in the Bricklayers Arms pub, Gresse Street (off TCR).
Last edited by tangy on 10 Jul 2016, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Tube Olympics 2016: Event 3- Zone 1 Challenge

Post by Going Underground »

Attending
GU
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
quisquidillius
Zone 3

Post by quisquidillius »

Attending
GU
quisquidillius
Zone 1 Challenge (Olympics 2016): 3:44:31.67 - we were very unlucky indeed!
South London Challenge (Summer 2016): 1:58:40 - going to try again soon!
All Lines Challenge (August 2016): 44:38 - happy with this ... For now!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

FYI I won't be able to make the pub afterwards due very early start on Thurs morning so I will text the TOSA my finishing station and time and provide route if needed later by PM....

Also what is exact meeting place / time at HPK?
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

Attending
GU
quisquidillius
tufnellpark
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I've got a route I'm pretty happy with, so that's more than likely enough to tempt me along.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
quisquidillius
Zone 3

Post by quisquidillius »

Going Underground wrote:FYI I won't be able to make the pub afterwards due very early start on Thurs morning so I will text the TOSA my finishing station and time and provide route if needed later by PM....
I am afraid that, unless my route goes better than expected (currently we are looking at about 3:10), I shall not be able to go to the pub. I shall therefore, if I may, PM the TOSA with the relevant information. I shall be going with a friend, in a group.
Zone 1 Challenge (Olympics 2016): 3:44:31.67 - we were very unlucky indeed!
South London Challenge (Summer 2016): 1:58:40 - going to try again soon!
All Lines Challenge (August 2016): 44:38 - happy with this ... For now!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

tufnellpark wrote:Attending
GU
quisquidillius
tufnellpark
RJSRdg

Again, whether I make it to the Brickies depends on finishing time as I think the last 'quick' train from Paddington is the 2245.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

quisquidillius wrote:
Going Underground wrote:FYI I won't be able to make the pub afterwards due very early start on Thurs morning so I will text the TOSA my finishing station and time and provide route if needed later by PM....
I am afraid that, unless my route goes better than expected (currently we are looking at about 3:10), I shall not be able to go to the pub. I shall therefore, if I may, PM the TOSA with the relevant information. I shall be going with a friend, in a group.
Ideally I would like the essential information on the night, so that I know who to award the medals to. So if you can text me your finish time and station (and your names) to me then you can submit your journey log for verification later via PM or email.

If anyone has NOT got my mobile number/s (I have two), please contact me via PM or email through Explorer Ticket.

Thanks
Tangy- TOSA
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
xcooler123
Zone 5

Re: RE: Re: Tube Olympics 2016: Event 3- Zone 1 Challenge

Post by xcooler123 »

RJSRdg wrote:
tufnellpark wrote:Attending
GU
quisquidillius
tufnellpark
RJSRdg

Again, whether I make it to the Brickies depends on finishing time as I think the last 'quick' train from Paddington is the 2245.
xcooler123

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Me and daz will attend this challenge unfortunately I have a medical condition which unless clears up will prevent me from doing anything physical. So I walk every change unless miraculously something changes don't forget we are in London for meeting with film crew so this will be filmed
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Re: RE: Re: Tube Olympics 2016: Event 3- Zone 1 Challenge

Post by hopeful traveller »

Attending

GU
quisquidillius
tufnellpark
RJSRdg
xcooler123
palkanetoijala + 1
hopeful hopeless traveller
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I think perhaps I was the "hopeless traveller"....

Owing to the chaotic crowding on the Westbound Piccadilly Line, we had to let the first two trains go and most competitors boarded the 18:36. Even then we had to leave the film crew behind after one of them got stuck in the door. Down to Knightsbridge and doubled back towards Kings Cross to discover Clive was doing the same thing. We both took the Northern Line - he got of at Moorgate and I went down to Bank for a change to the Central Line. Disaster! Owing to a broken down train, I had a seven minute wait. Finally jumped on a train only to be held for what seemed like an age (in Tube Challenging terms) at Lancaster Gate due to another broken down train! On the move again, hopped off at Queensway to discover Steve in the lift. We ran to Bayswater and just missed a District Line train to Earl's Court. So a bit of a wait there for a Circle Line train down to High Street Kensington where a rare evening Olympia service was sat in the far platform. We both jumped on that for the run to EC, then crossed platforms for a Westbound District Line train which was in the platform but ended up being delayed due to... a broken down train! I lost sight of Steve here but went on to St James's Park where I had a decent change for the double back to Victoria. 32 stations done in an hour and a half meant I was still possibly on for three hours at that stage. Down on to the Victoria Line platform, where a train promptly rolled in - and was taken out of service, presumably defective! When that was out of the way and the next train arrived, I was able to make a good change at Vauxhall for Waterloo, then down on to the Bakerloo. Slight wait at Elephant and Castle, but got the door position right for a decent transit at London Bridge, then on to my nemesis of Southwark, where the train was held owing to ... (I think you can guess!). Up to Westminster and a quickish sprint to the Circle Line platforms where either a Hammersmith or an Upminster train would have done, so the first train along was terminating at Tower Hill. Let that go and jumped on an Upminster train a couple of minutes behind it. Decent run from Aldgate East to Aldgate just as a Hammersmith train came in. Crawled round to Paddington (H&C), then through the taxi rank, down the escalator, across the forecourt and through the subway to Paddington (District), to find the next train was being "held" at Bayswater. By the time it had arrived, three hours had elapsed and all hope of a decent time had vanished. Out at Edgware Road to find I'd got the door position completely wrong, necessitating a run along the platform to the exit, then under the Westway and into Edgware Road (Bakerloo). Down to Charing Cross, then back up to Euston for a less than impressive 3:32:14.*

By then it was already past 10:00, so, having texted my time to Tangy, I went down the road to Euston Square and back along the Hammersmith & City to catch the 22:45 back to Reading.

*My departure time from Knightsbridge (my first unique station) was 2 minutes 59 seconds after the start, so for ExplorerTicket League Table purposes, I did all the Zone 1 stations in 3:29:15.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

I had a brand new circular route so thought I would try it out tonight. Upon Kev going "[this westbound train] got really delayed coming down", I went "see ya" and headed eastbound instead. Just squeezing onto the Picc, we made it to Green Park, where, thanks to some Japanese tourists deciding to stand on the left hand side of the escalator, I just missed a Victoria Line train. "No biggie", I thought, "the next one's in 1 minute". Well, it was, but it was so crowded I couldn't get on it despite getting my left foot on it, the rest of me wouldn't fit, so I had to let it go. Next one? A Victoria terminator. Got on this, primarily because no one else did. A slow-as-hell termination at Victoria meant that the next train - queuing up to get into the station - was sardine-level packed, and so I had to let this one go as well. The next train I finally squeezed onto. And that got held because of people holding the doors, refusing to move back behind the yellow line to allow the train to leave, and touching the train. All in all I reckon I lost about 5-10 minutes.

Thankfully at Vauxhall I had a sexy change (despite having to ask where Platform 7 was), and at Waterloo thanks to some more Japanese tourists I just missed a Jubilee Line train. And people messing around with the Platform Edge Doors at Southwark was also a pain in the arse. London Bridge change I can't actually remember, but it wasn't a bad one particularly. And then Elephant & Castle. And the Bakerloo Line put me on the second, not the first, train. Up to Oxford Circus, where I changed sexily for the Northbound Victoria. I need to refine the route slightly as I ended up doing the Victoria - Charing Cross Branch change at Euston; in hindsight, perhaps a Warren Street change followed by a Euston double back would have been quicker. Nonetheless, Euston was also a sexy change, and the next move was to Leicester Square.

At Leicester Square, I ran into a Piccadilly Line train with its doors wide open. About 3 seconds later, it was clear it had been waiting there for some time as the driver informed us traction current had just been restored. Despite a faulty DMI in my car (#195), we headed to King's Cross without any trouble. Then down the Northern line via Bank to Bank, where I changed for the Westbound Central and just missed one (again). The long haul to Notting Hill Gate went well, and an excellent change onto a District was ace. Unfortunately, High Street Kensington was the death of me YET AGAIN. 5 mins wait for a District back up (during which time I stared at the Olympia service on Platform 4) was agonising. At Paddington I ran to the other Paddington where I had to wait 6 minutes for a H&C train - and when the clock ticked down to zero it was still 3 minutes from arriving...

Then did Edgware Road to Edgware Road (good), Regent's Park to Great Portland Street (even better, diving into an H&C as the doors were shutting). But as I crawled along the top of the bottle I could read on the board a Circle labelled as "1 min" behind me. Now, TFL being TFL, I was hoping I could make Aldgate East -> Aldgate in that time. But as we got stuck in the tunnel after the Aldgate junction but before Aldgate East station, that went out of the window. We were stuck there so long that eventually the change was "sexy", but on the one that was about 5 minutes behind that one. I then crawled along the bottom of the Circle Line, serenaded by a shoddy busker playing a dire version of "When The Saints Go Marching In", so much so I changed at Embankment (rather than South Ken or Gloucester Road) for a District Line train to Earl's Court. Now, if I were fitter and faster, a Sloane Square to Knightsbridge run would have been quicker, but quite frankly by then I was just so tired I couldn't do it, and went to Earl's Court, turned around and got a Piccadilly Line to Knightsbridge.

I'm going to persist with this circular route, it's very very good even if I do say so myself. On a day where I don't have to take the fourth Victoria Line train out of Green Park and don't have to wait 9 minutes for a H&C at Paddington, it could just deliver a WR...
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Well what a disaster that was... although it was my first attempt at a Zone 1 challenge I couldn't catch a break if I tried...

Starting at Hyde Park Corner, did a double back to Knightsbridge and up to KXSP and down the Bank branch with Andi. We went our separate ways and I got off at Bank to do the Central Line. Arrived to find that, shock horror, the Central Line was experiencing problems due to a defective train so had a 6 minute wait for the next one. It crawled along through the City and got held for a good 3 minutes at Lancaster Gate before finally arriving at Queensway. Bumped into Richard where we both made our way to Bayswater to find out we had missed a Wimbleware down to Earl's Court. Another 3 minute wait for the next train, which was a Circle line down to HSK, where we discovered the rare beast that was an Olympia train! Arrived at Earl's Court to find all District line trains east were being held so I bailed onto the Piccadilly to South Kensington. This was also slow so actually just missed the District line train that was held at Earl's Court when I arrived :twisted: Got on another Circle line train which was crawling at snail's pace as the service was bunched up so I bailed at Victoria to do the Victoria Line down to Vauxhall so the service could even out.

Change at Vauxhall was great but got held AGAIN just outside of Victoria. Jumped on a District Line train to Westminster when I covered off London Bridge, Elephant & Castle and Charing Cross before a double back to Embankment. Back on the District line where, not for the first time today, I got held outside Mansion House. Arrived at Aldgate East and ran to Aldgate to watch a train leave as I arrived :twisted: . Waited another 3 mins for my 3rd Circle line train of the day round to Euston Square. Things started to go a little better from here with a good run and change at Euston, down to Goodge Street and the best Goodge Street-Great Portland Street run I have ever done. That was not to be rewarded however with a 7 minute wait for a train to Paddington (H&C). When I finally got to Paddington, ran through the station to the District line to find ANOTHER HELD TRAIN OUTSIDE THE STATION, WILL SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME SOME LUCK!!!!! 5 minute wait for that to arrive, headed towards Edgware Road and did the short run to Edgware Road (B). Got on the Bakerpoo line (God I hate the Bakerpoo line...) to finish at Regent's Park in a time of 03:19:09.

The Central line delay cost me and everything snowballed from there. I'm sure it will find some way of delaying us for the DLR challenge next week...
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)