Tube Olympics 2016: Event 1- All Lines

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Tube Olympics 2016: Event 1- All Lines

Post by Going Underground »

Thanks to a Central line meltdown (Signal failure at Leytontone and deffective train at Shepherd's Bush I think) they were holding people back at Liverpool Street with no platform access and after my first attempt started at 18:04 it was only on attempt FIVE at 1950hrs that I was able to access the Central Line :!: In my excitement with only a 1 minute wait for a rammed train I squeezed on and headed....... The WRONG WAY :roll: So doubling back at Bethnal Green I headed back to my starting station for attempt no. SIX which was just inside the window at 20:21...
All of a sudden there were 3 other challengers with me all with completions but the Clive realised he had taken the Circle twice instead of a District.....
During the route we were then joined by 2 further challengers but we got split at Westminser where only 3 of us made the Jubilee train (I was the last and somehow dived on as the doors were closing)

I managed to stay with Clive and we had a good few last connections both finishing at Leics Sq in 46:11 with a 7 min wait for Central Line and around 3-4 mins for the drain....

Roll on 2020 can't wait to do this again :lol:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

"It's the same for everyone" has to be the mantra for the Tube Olympics. The opening event had it all. Delays, diving, frustration, hurdling, controversy and beers.

Earlier in the day I had a perfect practice run with a time of 00:37:30. Easy! Little did I know that the Central line was going to break that evening.

I had already encountered my four pet hates on the Tube. People meandering slowly looking at their mobiles. Standing on the wrong side of the escalators. People trying to get on before you have got off. And foreign student groups huddling together and blocking platforms/entrances.

My first attempt with a perfect three at Farringdon, accompanied by Kevin, floundered at Liverpool Street, due to the closure of the Central Line. People were being held at the top of the escalators and once you got to the platform, westbound trains were few and far between. Kevin even took the strange decision of visiting Bethnal Green but I returned to Farringdon.

Andrew and Richard joined me for my second attempt. Same result at Liverpool Street. The Central line interchange took 9 mins but we continued and I recorded a respectable 00:50:52. Only then did I realise that I had caught a Circle train and not the District at Embankment, so I disqualified myself and it was back to the start at Farringdon.

The pressure was on. It was 20:20, the Central line was still stuffed and I hadn't put a time on the board. For my third attempt, I was joined by Kevin, Andrew and Richard. Delays again at Liverpool Street but in a spirited escalator descent at Westminster, Kevin and myself lost the others, dived into a Jubilee train and we followed the same route ending with 00:46:11. The only fright was a pushchair which came out of nowhere at Oxford Circus, that I had to hurdle to avoid a collision. So finally I had a time which was worthy of joint silver with Kevin. A couple of beers and then home to Sussex.

The 2016 Olympics had started. Roll on Friday and the Bottle.
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Winning Route:

Liverpool Street to King's Cross St Pancras.

For anyone not there... work that one out!

Winning time: 45:46
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

tufnellpark wrote:
Andrew and Richard joined me for my second attempt. Same result at Liverpool Street. The Central line interchange took 9 mins but we continued and I recorded a respectable 00:50:52. Only then did I realise that I had caught a Circle train and not the District at Embankment, so I disqualified myself and it was back to the start at Farringdon.
Strictly speaking, you didn't realise you'd caught a second Circle Line train until Andrew and I met you again at Farringdon and told you ... ;-)

As for me, my first blunder was thinking the event started at 18:30 (though I probably couldn't have left work any earlier than I did and given the problems at Liverpool Street I probably would have had to abort all earlier attempts anyway).

So my first attempt started on the 18:32 from Farringdon (wondering why none of the other 'usual suspects' were there!), rather a slow progression to Liverpool Street, where first of all I got lost owing to bad signage, then like everyone else I discovered that the escalators down to the Central Line were shut and the TfL staff were telling people not to use the Central Line. Popped outside and made a quick call to Tangy for clarification of the rules. Tangy asked me to check exactly which sections of the line were closed. I found a member of TfL staff who told me the line was open, and pointed me back across to the escalators which were now open! However in view of the earlier crawl and the amount of time wasted, I opted to head back to Farringdon (where I met Andrew and Clive) and start again.

Second attempt had a better run into Liverpool Street, where Andrew showed me an alternative route down to the Central Line and where we discovered that - guess what - the platforms were closed again! Andrew and I attempted to sneak through the ticket barriers anyway, but got sent back by the TfL staff. I called across to Andrew to suggest that perhaps it was best to abort that attempt too, however I think by then he'd already figured out his blinder of a route with a Liverpool Street start, taking out all the time lost at the barriers.

At that moment the platforms reopened, so I opted to carry on, only to discover that my earlier attempt to sneak through had invalidated my Travelcard! So I had to find my way to a manned gate and get through that way. Caught up with Andrew and Clive on the platform though and stayed within a respectable distance of them (I'd tweaked my ankle on the stairs at work earlier in the day, restricting my running ability) until Clive took the wrong train at Embankment and I lost Andrew on the secret staircase at Westminster.

Green Park, Oxford Circus (great change there!), Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square followed for a completion of 53:33, then on up to Farringdon via KX to start again.

At Farringdon Clive and Kevin were waiting and shortly afterwards Andrew turned up, leading me to think at first that I had somehow got a quicker time than him, but this l turned out to be due to his master stroke of restarting the clock at Liverpool Street and hence finishing his run later.

No issues to Liverpool Street, where we had a 7 minute wait for the next westbound train. At Embankment we met Steve and Hopeful, who travelled with us to Westminster where Steve tricked me into using the middle (non-working) escalator, losing me time on the others and leading to my missing the Jubilee (never realised how disorienting it is running on a stationary escalator - probably worse than running on one going the wrong way!). However subsequent changes worked out fairly nicely with a final time at Leicester Square of 49:01.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

As I was with hopeful traveller for most of the time he has explained it all rather well. The only thing I'll add is on the final attempt where I actually caught the train at Westminster and the Central line treated me kindly so a swift last few stops. Final time was 53:46

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The TOSA here with the confirmed results of the All Lines Challenge held on Tuesday 5th July 2016.

Seven challengers attended this event and battled through the hurdles presented to us by the Central Line...

7th: Rhys Benjamin 00:55:03
6th: David Edwards: 00:53:46 (also registered a completion of 00:55:03 with Rhys Benjamin)
5th: Tangy: 00:49:12 (also registered a completion of 00:55:21).
4th: Richard Standing: 00:49:01 (also registered a completion of 00:53:33)
=2nd: Kevin Brown: 00:46:11
=2nd: Clive Burgess: 00:46:11
1st: Andrew Chilcraft: 00:45:46

Tangy
Tube Olympics Supreme Administrator
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I posted another time yesterday of 38:23
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*