Tube Olympics 2016: Event 1- All Lines

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tangy
Site Administrator

Tube Olympics 2016: Event 1- All Lines

Post by tangy »

Hello and welcome to the Tube Olympics for 2016. I am your host (the TOSA) and we will be ploughing straight into the games with an All Lines for the opening event.

All Lines: Tuesday 5th July 18:00 UK local time.

The rules for this challenge:

1. You can start the challenge at any station that suits you- there will be no formal meet up beforehand.
2. You may start the challenge at or after 18:00:00 (attempts started before this time will be withdrawn). Clock can be started when the train doors are locked closed ready for departure.
3. As the All Lines is a relatively short challenge in duration, you can have as many attempts as you wish between 18:00:00 and 20:29:59. You can abort any attempt and start again if you wish.
4. Your final attempt must have commenced before 20:30:00 (attempts started after this time will be withdrawn). Again, the time is counted when the train doors are locked closed ready for departure.
5. You must travel between at least two stations on ALL 11 London Underground lines- this does include the Waterloo & City line.
6. Where two or more lines share the same piece of track, you must travel on ALL the different lines for an attempt to be valid. For example, a journey between King’s Cross and Farringdon only counts for the line your train is described as (say a Circle), it does not mean you have done the Circle, Met and H&C together. Please make sure you look at the train destination screens for the correct line- especially with the new S stock now on the Subsurface lines.
7. If you have done multiple attempts within the time limit, only submit your best time for judging. Any others can still be kept and logged on Explorer Ticket.
8. Once you have completed your final attempt please head to the usual post challenge meet up location- the Bricklayers Arms in Gresse Street (off TCR).
9. In case of disputes, the decision of the TOSA is final.

Hands up, who am I expecting?

Tangy
Tube Olympics Sumpreme Administrator.
Last edited by tangy on 05 Jul 2016, 00:13, edited 2 times in total.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: Tube Olympics 2016: Event 1- All Lines

Post by Going Underground »

Attending: GU
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Going Underground wrote:Attending: GU
RJSRdg
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
quisquidillius
Zone 3

Post by quisquidillius »

Hello,

I will try my best to make this, but there are some factors - whether I am tired from my walking trip that ends the day before, which involves a long train ride down from Cumbria; and whether I can find somebody from school who does not board (they would be breaking school rules going that far at that time) and is willing to do this.

Also, does this pub have any specific policies on under-18s entering the premises?

Thanks!
Zone 1 Challenge (Olympics 2016): 3:44:31.67 - we were very unlucky indeed!
South London Challenge (Summer 2016): 1:58:40 - going to try again soon!
All Lines Challenge (August 2016): 44:38 - happy with this ... For now!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

quisquidillius wrote:
Also, does this pub have any specific policies on under-18s entering the premises?

Thanks!
No they are used to us, it's very small and will be in the bar at the rear of the pub
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Attending:

GU
RJSRdg
xcooler123

Finally an event I can get along to! :D
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Presumably in the event of an unexpected line closure, the challenge would then be to travel on the other ten (though quite what happens if the closure begins at say 7:30pm might be debatable)?

A *partial* closure of a line could lead to some interesting complications!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

Attending:

GU
RJSRdg
xcooler123
tufnellpark
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Attending:

GU
RJSRdg
xcooler123
tufnellpark
tractakid
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Attending:

GU
RJSRdg
xcooler123
tufnellpark
tractakid
hopeful traveller (possibly)
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

On my way to town now :)
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

tractakid wrote:On my way to town now :)

Leaving office in 15mins, it's hot out there!
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

On my way from Birmingham [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

In the unlikely event anyone is on the forum during the challenge, and as I am late in it:

GOOD LUCK!
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

That was a disaster. 4 attempts, 1 completed...

Attempt 1 was started at Baker Street after I was running late so I decided to make hay and start on the train I was already on, hoping for a King's Cross change. However, seeing 25 mins for the next Circle line at Great Portland Street put me off, so I ended up aborting there.

Went to Farringdon to try attempt 2. This one I was desperate to complete to get a time on the board. Pairing up at this point with David, we bolted down the corridor at Liverpool Street only to find a wall of people waiting for the escalator. Reason? Broken track between Marb and White City, and so no Central Line, more or less. 2 mins at the top of the escalator followed by 8 mins for a train really scuppered things. Although nothing went too badly for the rest of that run, it was a slow 55:03.

Thanks to modern technology, we were tracking the perfect three which we ended up having to run for at King's Cross! We connected with Moorgate this time anyway, hoping to do the dodgy Central at the end. The drain went well, and then we got onto the Northern Line (again) at Waterloo, not helped by shenanigans with my Oyster at Waterloo. Why Oyster? It's cheaper, as a 16-18 student but not a "child" paper-ticket, to time out. Once that was sorted, we were looking at the board for Embankment, and somehow - I'm not quite sure how - we did Waterloo -> Embankment and onto a Wimbledon train in 1 minute. It was on the Jubilee line we realised our fatal mistake, and so we went back to King's Cross for another attempt.

Subsurface fine (at which point we saw a lot of people who had obviously started at Farringdon). Moorgate - 2 minute wait. I think we had just missed a train judging by the service pattern. And then Bank (good change, although due to modern technology I was able to pace it), Waterloo, when we went to the BAKERLOO LINE (hallelujah) to Embankment. Yet another cock-up with tickets at Waterloo, resulting in an unrefunded £2 of mine in the ticket machine there and a missed Bakerloo, but only one minute to the next one so no biggie. Then we had an OK change at Embankment, when we ran into the others who had started at Farringdon. We didn't do that because we looked at the Liverpool Street Central Line departure boards and they were awful. When we got to Westminster (my favourite station), Kevin was slow down the escalator, and when he accelerated at the bottom he moved to the inside and blocked me, meaning myself, Andrew, and Richard all missed the train. I had hoped to catch up with David by shadowing him. It turns out we did make the same Central Line train at Bond Street, but due to it being a dive-in-the-door for me I was therefore in the wrong place for Oxford Circus. Due to this, flooding, and overzealous cleaners, I couldn't run, so missed the train David got on. At which point I saw 5 minutes on the board and gave up.

Final time: last place.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition