xcooler123's Attempts

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
xcooler123
Zone 5

xcooler123's Attempts

Post by xcooler123 »

Good evening all,

Since completing an unofficial SLAM route (due to me losing my log book for it!) in June last year, I have been meaning to attempt more challenges which will hopefully lead to a Full Network Challenge. Unfortunately, life (as it usually does) got very busy and I have not had the time to attempt any more... until now!

I therefore have made it a personal challenge to attempt all 16 Alternative Challenges and a Full Network Challenge at least once before the end of the year. All the attempts will be documented here for anyone who is vaguely interested...

26th April 2016

All Lines - Attempt 1
Oxford Circus :arrow: Green Park :arrow: Piccadilly Circus :arrow: Charing Cross :arrow: Embankment :arrow: Westminster :arrow: Waterloo :arrow: Bank :arrow: Liverpool Street :arrow: Moorgate :arrow: Barbican :arrow: Farringdon

First challenge and with a safe route to get me used to all the interchanges. Long 4 mins wait at Green Park and Embankment followed a horror story of waiting including 6 mins for a W&C and 7 mins for a Circle line at the end.

Time- 00:54:04

All Lines - Attempt 2
Aldgate :arrow: Liverpool Street :arrow: Moorgate :arrow: Liverpool Street :arrow: Bank :arrow: Waterloo :arrow: Westminster :arrow: Embankment :arrow: Charing Cross :arrow: Piccadilly Circus :arrow: Green Park :arrow: Oxford Circus

Same route as above in reverse but with a slight change at the start. Turns out the slight change at the start was a HUGE mistake which ended up me waiting 8 mins for a H&C (which were already out of sequence). Low point was pegging it up the escalators in Westminster (I'd forgotten how hard this actually is) to discover a Circle line train, much swearing ensued. General slow 4-5 mins changes for a couple more stations until a flurry of good ones at the end. Then came the final damp squib as my last Victoria line train was held for a good couple of mins. Would have resulted in a sub-50 mins time otherwise.

Time- 00:51:20

Things I have learnt-
  • Was still learning ideal door positions so most of these were poor throughout
  • My fitness, despite little exercise in the last few months, wasn't actually that bad which means it can only get better
  • Need to make some adjustments to the route so I don't have long waits
  • Need to walk through the route to learn it rather than wing it on the day to get a faster time
Bottle - Attempt 1
ROUTE IS SECRET

A good clean run which even got me ahead of a couple of trains. Only mishap was the Edgware Road's run which I somehow manage to completely mess up and lose 10 mins. The route has a potential record breaking section in it hence it is not being revealed :D

Time- 02:11:23
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Re: xcooler123's Attempts

Post by Tube Geek »

Well done! On the ALC, I would recommend starting at the same-track ones, as you can wait for the right combination before starting the stopwatch, as you did on the second attempt. Had you done with your first route (reversed it), it could have been quicker
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

2 more challenges have been attempted which takes the tally up to 4 Alternative Challenges that have been completed. Unusually, I set times for these 2 on a Sunday...

15th May 2016

DLR - Attempt 1
ROUTE IS SECRET

Not much to say apart from the attempt went very smoothly considering I had never done some of the interchanges before. Lovely day for some runs around areas I had never been to before. The route has a potential record breaking section in it hence it is not being revealed :D .

Time- 01:59:00

Tramlink - Attempt 1
Wimbledon :arrow: Wellesley Road (run to) :arrow: George Street :arrow: Church Street (run to) :arrow: East Croydon :arrow: New Addington :arrow: Sandilands :arrow: Elmers End (run to) :arrow: Harrington Road :arrow: Beckenham Junction

This challenge I can see becoming my most hated challenge... First section was good, the run to George Street was fine and I only had to wait a couple of minutes to pick up the tram to Church Street. Ran back to East Croydon to have a 7 minute wait for a tram to New Addington which was painful. The turnaround was quick at New Addington but then had ANOTHER 7 minute wait at Sandilands for an Elmers End tram. Rest of the route went as planned.

I had another 2 attempts at this challenge to try and improve my time using different routes but both produced pretty shocking times mainly because I would miss trams by 30 seconds or less, hence why I am starting to dislike this challenge...

Time- 01:50:36

Also, due to work commitments, I will not be able to attempt the London Overground and any subsequent challenges that require the GOBLIN before it starts its closures. Therefore I have decided to try and complete all challenge in one year. This means that my last day to attempt any challenges will be 25th April 2017
Last edited by xcooler123 on 15 Jan 2017, 23:19, edited 2 times in total.
David
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Another challenge has been completed :D

8th June 2016

Alphabet - Attempt 1
Start- Aldgate
Finish- Westminster

Finished work early one evening after a day in London so thought I would attempt another challenge. This time I thought I would choose one of the longer challenges as all the ones I have completed so far have been relatively short. I had a decent route for Alphabet so I thought I'd give that a go.

Starting at Aldgate, my first couple of changes went smoothly until I headed towards Dollis Hill. The train was running about 2 mins behind schedule which would make for a tight changeover. Sure enough, as I arrived at Dollis Hill, the train on the opposite platform pulled away. The next train would soon come though and I still had a chance at making my connection at Finchley Road. I watched as the Metropolitan Line train I needed to catch whisked passed me just before West Hampsted and thought that was it. Fortunately, due to some luck and very quick reactions, I did JUST make it. The train decided to crawl into Baker Street where, yet again, I watched a train pull away as I arrived on platform. Next interchanges ran smoothly and it was time for the run up to Ickenham.

Arrived there and GUESS WHAT?? Yep, another train I needed to catch pulled away as I approached the platform :evil: Cue an arduous 8 minute wait for the next train to arrive... I was about 20 mins behind schedule this point and getting very frustrated but carried on nevertheless. Made my way back into the city where a few good changes and well timed trains helped me recover about 5 mins. After running through Oxford Circus countless times I finally started to make my way towards Upton Park which involved the horrible change between Bank & Monument. Absolutely nailed the run to be greeted with a train at platform in the right direction... only going to Tower Hill!! Cue much swearing indeed...

I caught the next train which swiftly took me up to Upton Park where I was FINALLY greeted with a train I wanted on platform ready to go. Made my way back into the city again to knock off Victoria and Westminster. Thanks to the swift Upton Park change, I only ended up being just under 10 minutes behind schedule. Without the slow trains at the start and watching trains depart, it could have been very close to the record. Time to make some tweaks and attempt this again in the near future...

Time- 05:03:45

This is my 5th challenge completed now and with Tube Olympics and the summer coming up, I am hoping to knock quite a few more off in the next couple of months :D
David
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

5/how many? 11?

Well done, by the way! Interesting you double back at Dollis Hill - all my fastest routes involve carrying on beyond there! Also, was Finchley Road your F? As that would mean you didn't have an E, I think
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

I have completed 5 out of 16 possible official Alternative challenges with the aim to do all 16 + FNC in one year (see third post).

I am not going to reveal where some of my letters are as I had to work it out (and spent many hours doing so!) for myself so I feel other people should do the same :D . However, what I will say is that the most obvious routes at first are not always the quickest, therefore you have to do pretty much every combination between letters to get the best possible time. Some letters are obvious (e.g there is realistically only Dollis Hill that you would use and Ickenham is the only I) which is why I have included them in the description. Finally, should you ever get down to London to attempt it, don't make the changes too short. The majority of changes need 2 minutes minimum between lines but some need longer (this is where I came unstuck in places) and the only way you can know this for definite is by going out and doing it yourself :D This experience is why newer people like me can struggle to keep to a schedule compared to the vastly more experienced guys.
Last edited by xcooler123 on 19 Jun 2016, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
David
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

It sounds as if your Alphabet route is not to dissimilar to the one I have in mind...
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

PS A calendar year runs from 1st Jan to 31st December.... I think you mean 'a twelve month period'.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Aha yes I do and it has been changed accordingly :)
David
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

A rather large update as I have recently completed the Tube Olympics and had a couple of attempts at other things with varying degrees of success :)

5th July

All Lines - Attempt 3

Start - Farrringdon
Finish - Leicester Square

What would become a regular feature in this year's Tube Olymipics, the Central Line was very much broken for most of the evening thanks to a faulty train. This meant a hold at the top of the escalators at Liverpool St followed by an 8 minute wait at the platform to give a pretty poor time. Attempted with hopeful traveller

Time- 00:55:03

All Lines - Attempt 4

Start - King's Cross
Finish - ABANDONED

Attempt was going really well until we realised we had done the Northern Line twice. Idiots. Attempted with hopeful traveller

Time- N/A

All Lines - Attempt 5

Start - King's Cross
Finish - Green Park

Finally got a cleanish run in and even bumped into a few other challengers at Embankment. I made the Westminster connection but sadly hopeful traveller didn't so I finished this attempt by myself.

Time- 00:53:46

9th July

I was down in London this weekend so I had a few attempts at some more challenges.

South of the Thames - Attempt 1

ROUTE IS SECRET

Knew I had a really solid fast route so thought I would attempt the South of the Thames challenge. Was going really well until I caught the wrong train out of Morden which threw everything else out of the window.

Time- N/A

All Lines - Attempt 6

Start - Farringdon
Finish - Leicester Square

Despite 5 previous attempts I had never got a really clean run at the All Lines challenge. As the network was behaving itself and middle of the day on a Saturday isn't too busy I thought I would give it another go. Got a couple of really sexy changes for the W&C Line and at Piccadilly Circus combined with watching 2 trains depart as I arrive at the platform at Oxford Circus and Embanment. Still, my best time to date by quite a margin.

Time- 00:44:33

South of the Thames - Attempt 2

ROUTE IS SECRET

Had just enough time in the day to attempt the SotT challenge once more. Didn't mess up at Morden this time and set a new record! Sure, it's not one of the big challenges but a record is still a record :D

Time- 01:45:53 NEW RECORD

13th July

Zone 1 - Attempt 1

Start - Hyde Park Corner
Finish - Regent's Park

Well what a disaster that was... although it was my first attempt at a Zone 1 challenge I couldn't catch a break if I tried...

Starting at Hyde Park Corner, did a double back to Knightsbridge and up to KXSP and down the Bank branch with Andi. We went our separate ways and I got off at Bank to do the Central Line. Arrived to find that, shock horror, the Central Line was experiencing problems due to a defective train so had a 6 minute wait for the next one. It crawled along through the City and got held for a good 3 minutes at Lancaster Gate before finally arriving at Queensway. Bumped into Richard where we both made our way to Bayswater to find out we had missed a Wimbleware down to Earl's Court. Another 3 minute wait for the next train, which was a Circle line down to HSK, where we discovered the rare beast that was an Olympia train! Arrived at Earl's Court to find all District line trains east were being held so I bailed onto the Piccadilly to South Kensington. This was also slow so actually just missed the District line train that was held at Earl's Court when I arrived :x Got on another Circle line train which was crawling at snail's pace as the service was bunched up so I bailed at Victoria to do the Victoria Line down to Vauxhall so the service could even out.

Change at Vauxhall was great but got held AGAIN just outside of Victoria. Jumped on a District Line train to Westminster when I covered off London Bridge, Elephant & Castle and Charing Cross before a double back to Embankment. Back on the District line where, not for the first time today, I got held outside Mansion House. Arrived at Aldgate East and ran to Aldgate to watch a train leave as I arrived :x . Waited another 3 mins for my 3rd Circle line train of the day round to Euston Square. Things started to go a little better from here with a good run and change at Euston, down to Goodge Street and the best Goodge Street-Great Portland Street run I have ever done. That was not to be rewarded however with a 7 minute wait for a train to Paddington (H&C). When I finally got to Paddington, ran through the station to the District line to find ANOTHER HELD TRAIN OUTSIDE THE STATION, WILL SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME SOME LUCK!!!!! 5 minute wait for that to arrive, headed towards Edgware Road and did the short run to Edgware Road (B). Got on the Bakerpoo line (God I hate the Bakerpoo line...) to finish at Regent's Park.

Time- 03:19:09

19th July

DLR - Attempt 2

ROUTE IS SECRET

On a very hot evening, Round 4 of the Tube Olympics, the DLR Challenge, took place. In short, another disaster from start to finish. Late trains, humans unable to properly function and 3 missed connections resulted in me aborting at Canning Town due to sheer frustration and being 30 mins down on schedule. Even more annoyingly, my runs felt really good despite the heat. Oh and despite having no influence on the challenge, the Central Line decided to break down again. One day DLR I will crack you, one day...

Time- N/A

22nd July

FNC - Attempt 1

Start - Chesham
Finish - Heathrow Terminal 5

So, it's the big one. The Full Network Challenge. My aim was to simply finish all 270 stations as it was my first attempt. I have to give a huge thank you to tufnellpark who very kindly let me join him on his effort. It's not everyday you get an offer to team up with a former World Record Holder. He also sums up the attempt pretty well:-

"A very long day beginning in Chesham and finishing at Heathrow T5, accompanied by the xcooler. All went well apart from narrowly missing a couple of bus connections (meaning a couple of unscheduled runs) and a missing 307. I'm sure Tangy was to blame. After all he works at Enfield Garage. This meant the earlier Olympia train was out of the question but we hit the big O at 20:27 with 10 mins to spare for the 20:38 Kensington Olympia-Earls Court service.

Having been delayed by the Piccadilly line earlier in the day at Rayners Lane, when we reached Acton Town late evening we weren't surprised to see it in meltdown again. Long waits of 10mins at Acton Town and 14mins at Heathrow T123, combined with signalling problems on the District at Richmond added 20 mins to our expected time in the last hour. Final time was 17:26:05 and a leisurely train back to Central London. Slightly disappointed with the time but it was my third FNC completion and a good enough time for Olympic Gold."

He may have been disappointed with the time but I was very happy indeed. AND THE CENTRAL LINE WORKED!!! :D Final thanks to Mrs B who brought us supplies twice during the day :D

Time- 17:26:05

23rd July

R15 - Attempt 1

Start - Notting Hill Gate
Finish - King's Cross

The final challenge of the Tube Olympics was the Random 15. Having never done a Random 15 before I was just looking to finish. As I was used to planning for challenges and also had limited knowledge of some areas in Zone 1 & 2, I had no idea how it was going to go. Starting at Notting Hill Gate, the Central Line was back to being very broken so I learnt my lesson from previous challenges and chose to knock out most of that first and covered off Lancaster Gate and Bond Street. Change for the Jubilee line up to Willesden Green and double-back to West Hampstead to catch the Overground (after an 8 minute wait) to Willesden Junction. Bakerloo Line was running a little late but covered Kensal Green and rode down to Warwick Avenue to run to Royal Oak. A good run meant a H&C train to Hammersmith and Wood Lane and Goldhawk Road were ticked off. Ran to Hammersmith (D&P) to watch both a District and a Piccadilly train pull out at the same time :x Caught the next Piccadilly to tick off Barons Court and to see if I could get a couple of trains ahead but that got held at Earl's Court so switched back to the District Line for St James's Park. Then ticked off Southwark before heading up to Bank where I got lucky with the Central Line and only waited 1 minute. Got to St Paul's and ran to Cannon Street for a District Line train to Whitechapel. Arrived to find an Overground train just pulling in :D Got to Highbury and Islington and left on a Victoria Line train to KXSP to FINISH.

Arrived back at the pub to find out, much to my amazement, that I had won and beaten Peter in 2nd place by a measly 5 seconds! Not bad considering we finished at different locations. After a poor start to my Tube Olympics it ended on 2 pretty big highs :D

Time- 02:31:23
David
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

After a very busy month with challenges I will be taking a break for a while but hope to resume and complete more challenges in September. I have now completed 9 out of 17 (16+FNC) so I am over halfway through with the challenges left over mainly the longer ones which I will need a whole day for. Next on the list are Mouse, SLAM and Roads, Streets and Lanes. Oh and another crack at DLR...
David
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Congratulations on your record!! That's actually a pretty good time, I think (from my experience which was mediocre at best).

It's been a while since I did Roads, Streets and Lanes but I remember a lot of crawling down the Met Line, ugh. As for the Mouse, now there's a fast one...
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Realised I have had a couple more attempts at some of the Alternative Challenges and forgot to write them up!

7th October

Roads, Streets and Lanes - Attempt 1

Start - Blackhorse Road
Finish - Mornington Crescent

Well what a disaster that was...

Starting at Blackhorse Road, I made a series of good connections covering off the first few stations. Things started to go wrong when I got lost in a station which cost me a train. This would make the rest of the connections really tight especially at King's Cross where I had 1 minute to get from the deep lines up to the sub surface to get the train out to Rayners Lane. I made it (just!) to find it was an Uxbridge train (yay!) but running semi fast and therefore not stopping at Preston Road :cry: Therefore, a 7 minute wait at Wembley Park was followed by a 13 minute wait at Rayners Lane where the Underground didn't want to run any trains in any direction for a while. These long waits meant a decent time was out of reach but I carried on nevertheless without further incident to finish at Mornington Crescent.

Time- 04:14:00

26th November

Mouse - Attempt 1

Start - Kennington
Finish - St Paul's

One of the most enjoyable Alternative Challenges I have attempted despite anything but a smooth run. This was done at the height of the Piccadilly Line facre but more on that later...

This challenge reminded me a bit of the All Lines challenge - lots of short but sweet interchanges were needed to get a good time. Started off well but then hit the District/Circle line section and got held at Mansion House for 3 mins. This cost me a train at the next change but I was still on to make a good time. Then I hit the Piccadilly line and ended up at Covent Garden with no train in sight... 7 mins later and one finally shows up. Despite the long wait I finished in a reasonable time.

Time- 01:33:18

20th December

Zones 1&2 - Attempt 1

Start - Stratford
Finish - DNF (abandoned at High Street Kensington)

So, 5 1/2 hours into the Zones 1&2 challenge. I had gained a shed load of time on my plan and was on track to break the record until...

I run up the stairs at High Street Kensington to find a notice board informing me that there are "no District Line trains to Kensington (Olympia) today". Checked online, the time, the lot and everything said that they were running today. %$£&#@$%£ or words of that nature were shouted at the time. Thank you London Underground.......... Another attempt needed soon

Time- N/A

I also completed the Park Challenge with the write up for that here

That is 12/17 challenges completed. No new ones will be completed until February mainly because I have no more holiday until then but also the GOBLIN should hopefully re-open then and I can complete all of them!

Left to do - LO, SLAM, Z1&2, Royal and Compass
David
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

16th February

Points of the Compass - Attempt 1

ROUTE IS SECRET

Went into this challenge feeling confident as I had a pretty decent route. Things were going to schedule until I hit Rayners Lane (it always seems to be Rayners Lane) where the Piccadilly Line couldn't decide whether it wanted to run trains or not. Eventually got out of there but meant I had missed a train at West Ruislip by 1 min. Cue an 8 min wait for the next one... Thankfully luck was on my side including a bus waiting for me outside of Wimbledon station and a cross platform change at South Kensington meaning I managed to make up some time and break the record :D .

Time- 06:30:23 NEW RECORD

That is 13/17 challenges completed. GOBLIN is now back open during the week which means I can finally start planning when I can do the last 4 challenges.

Left to do - LO, SLAM, Z1&2 and Royal
David
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Update- Unfortunately, due to work and moving into a new role (which I am very happy about tbf) it is unlikely that I will be able to complete the last 4 Alternative Challenges before the end of April. However, I will endeavour to finish as many as I can before then, (hopefully at least 2) with the others to be done later in the year.
David