Random 15 Championship 2015/16: Round 5

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
RJSRdg
All Zones

Re: Random 15 Championship 2015/16: Round 5

Post by RJSRdg »

I presume you mean the FIVE of us all wound up on the same train at Warwick Avenue....

And for what it's worth, I didn't have a map either (which is why I didn't overtake Kev and Nozza on the Warwick Avenue run!)

All the best for Singapore!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I think I've spotted another error in the scoring - correct me if I'm wrong, but I got 6 points for being 5th in Round 3, which with 10 points for yesterday's win should come to 16, which unfortunately drops me to 12th and means I can't finish higher than 9th.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

RJSRdg wrote:I think I've spotted another error in the scoring - correct me if I'm wrong, but I got 6 points for being 5th in Round 3, which with 10 points for yesterday's win should come to 16, which unfortunately drops me to 12th and means I can't finish higher than 9th.
It is 12 points for a win (same as traditional Eurovision scoring- 12, 10, 8....1). Since three teams all finished joint 1st all members of those three teams are awarded twelve points. Therefore, this round, effectively there is no 10 or 8 points, scoring then jumps to 7 points for 4th. This is all In line with the scoring rules.

Your points are correct at 18.
Last edited by tangy on 05 Jun 2016, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Sarnian
Zone 1

Post by Sarnian »

RJSRdg wrote:I presume you mean the FIVE of us all wound up on the same train at Warwick Avenue....

And for what it's worth, I didn't have a map either (which is why I didn't overtake Kev and Nozza on the Warwick Avenue run!)

I do indeed. And thanks!
Next station: Jurong East. Cross over to platform D for train service towards Woodlands and Ang Mo Kio.
All Lines PB: 41:02 Zone 1 PB: 2:52:43
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Tangy

Many thanks for the clarification (and of course for organising the event).

One more question though - what was the cut-off time for the event? Rule 14 states:

"There is a time limit for a “normal” Random 15 challenge of 4 hours. If you are still challenging once 4 hours has ticked by then stop the clock at the next station the train you are on stops at (or if you are at a station, then stop straightaway) and head to the post challenge meet point. “Twist” rounds will have an applicable amount of extra time added, as advised by the Organiser in advance of the challenge."

Although this was a Twist round, I can't see anything in the original post stating that any extra time would be given, but I know we had three times which were outside 4 hours.

Richard
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

RJSRdg wrote:
And the same wishes from me Sam, hope to see you back on the network in 2017 :)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Essex Road -> Old Street -> Bank -> Shadwell -> Canada Water -> Waterloo -> Camden Town -> (run) Camden Road -> Finchley Road & Frognal -> (run) Finchley Road -> Oxford Circus -> Green Park -> South Kensington -> St James's Park -> Victoria -> Vauxhall (obviously) -> Clapham Junction -> West Brompton -> (run) West Kensington -> Ravenscourt Park -> Hammersmith -> Wood Street -> (run) White City -> North Acton -> White City -> (run) Wood Lane -> Royal Oak -> (run) Warwick Avenue -> Maida Vale

I think Waterloo -> Camden was an error. It started off as wanting to pick off Goodge/Regents Park in a loop with Knightsbridge and St James's Park. Then I thought it's a bit silly to come all the way to Goodge St and not pick up the two NLL stations. Which was pretty sound logic... but actually I should have left Goodge and Regents until later picking them up between Maida and the NLL pair. I think the thing that distracted me was the link from Willesden to Kentish Town West on the Overground being the best way to link them up. I wanted to avoid that at all costs as the Overground is very slow! Hence why I ended up going out of my way to Camden to ensure finishing at Maida Vale.

Also, why I forgot that Victoria links to Clapham Junction is bizarre, considering I was on a train from Victoria to Clapham Junction in the morning...

I hope to retain my R15 title... the last round looks exciting. And it shouldn't matter that Steve missed Saturday- as it was my worst round so far if we better it then he has the same 5-best rounds as me.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

Official declaration of my route:

Essex Road :arrow: Old Street :arrow: Bank :arrow: Shadwell(s) :arrow: via Rotherhithe to Canada Water (LO train heading to West Croydon) :arrow: Clapham Junction (still LO, different train) :arrow: Vauxhall :arrow: Victoria :arrow: via St James's Park to Embankment :arrow: via Goodge Street to Warren Street :arrow: walk to Regent's Park :arrow: Piccadilly Circus :arrow: via Knightsbridge to Hammersmith (Dis/Pic) :arrow: via Ravenscourt Park to Turnham Green (District train heading to Richmond) :arrow: Ealing Broadway :arrow: via North Acton to White City :arrow: walk to Wood Lane :arrow: Royal Oak :arrow: walk to Warwick Avenue :arrow: via Maida Vale to Willesden Junction :arrow: via Gospel Oak to Kentish Town West

Absolutely my worst R15 ever. I swear every change was awful.
  • Last second decision to use DLR at Bank: train in platform with doors closed. It leaves (with several tube challengers on it).
  • Wrong door (thank you app!) at Shadwell DLR, slow people on stairs, train in platform at Shadwell LO with doors closed. It leaves.
  • Could gamble on Jubilee then NR to CLJ and LO out of CLJ, but decide to take the easy option of LO to CLJ. 5 minute wait changing trains at Canada Water (have to put this one down to my choice).
  • Train in platform at CLJ with doors closed. It leaves. Not too long for another train, but I probably should have gone to Victoria rather than Vauxhall.
  • Train in platform at Vauxhall with doors closed. It leaves. It's the Victoria Line, so only 2 minutes to wait.
  • 5 minutes for a train at Victoria.
  • Train in platform at Embankment with doors closed. It leaves.
  • Train in platform at Regent's Park with doors closed. It leaves.
  • Train just left at Piccadilly Circus. Board says next one is going to Barons Court, which is OK. It's actually going to Uxbridge and takes me to Hammersmith.
  • District line train arrives just as I get off the Picc at Hammersmith (hooray!). It's going to Richmond (boo!). It's held in the platform for 5 minutes (<expletive deleted>).
  • No obvious sign of a train back to Hammersmith at Ravenscourt Park and H&C might be slow with no Circle trains, so I press on to EB after waiting 5 minutes at Turnham Green.
  • 4 minutes for a Central back out of EB.
  • 6 minutes for an H&C out of Wood Lane.
  • Train just left at Warwick Avenue, but not too long for the next one.
  • And the final ignominy: app gets it wrong again, completely wrong end of platform at Willedsen Junction, just miss LO to Stratford, next train is a terminator, 10 minutes for the next train to Gospel Oak and Kentish Town West.
I freely admit that at this point I just wanted to go home.

I feel sorry for A2. I saw him twice going the opposite direction and presume he had an even worse time of it than me.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Wow Nick that is staggering bad luck and had the Bank decision been made a fraction quicker it could have been all so different!
We all had trouble with crowding at Shadwell and that was where Glen and Eleanor got split from the pack...
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I think Glen, Eleanor and I only had to wait two or three minutes for the next one, and I was able to pull that back with fortuitous changes elsewhere.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

RJSRdg wrote:Tangy

Many thanks for the clarification (and of course for organising the event).

One more question though - what was the cut-off time for the event? Rule 14 states:

"There is a time limit for a “normal” Random 15 challenge of 4 hours. If you are still challenging once 4 hours has ticked by then stop the clock at the next station the train you are on stops at (or if you are at a station, then stop straightaway) and head to the post challenge meet point. “Twist” rounds will have an applicable amount of extra time added, as advised by the Organiser in advance of the challenge."

Although this was a Twist round, I can't see anything in the original post stating that any extra time would be given, but I know we had three times which were outside 4 hours.

Richard
In a twist round, I normally allow 6 hours for challengers to complete the challenge, this is to allow for a wider spread of stations, and/or lower frequencies on some lines for example. So unless otherwise stated a twist round is allowed 6 hours.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Tangy

Many thanks for the clarification.

Richard