Random 15 Championship: Round 4

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
The Orange One
All Zones

Re: Random 15 Championship: Round 4

Post by The Orange One »

Just the P13 from West Dulwich. The P4 would take you from North Dulwich if you chose to take that route instead.

I just tried the Google Maps Journey Planner. Thank you Google Maps - I'm sure most non-disabled people can get from Vauxhall mainline to Brixton mainline in 18 minutes using the Victoria Line, you don't need to provide them with 30! Although, I'll admit, finding Brixton mainline can be quite challenging if you've never done it before.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Sorry, I'll have to miss this one out as I'm on duty at the Basingstoke model railway exhibition all day. Plus I'm nursing a couple of sore ankles I picked up setting my 8:46:56 Z1/Z2 time on 27th Feb.

Should be out for the next one though.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

The Orange One wrote: Although, I'll admit, finding Brixton mainline can be quite challenging if you've never done it before.

Had a look on Google, looks like you come out of tube station, turn right then turn right again and mainline is on the left ( do you go the stairs that are shown to enter?)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Yes (turn right at the SECOND railway bridge). You don't go up those stairs (they're to the northbound platform), you go through the subway by the stairs and climb the other stairs to the southbound platform.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

The Orange One wrote:Yes (turn right at the SECOND railway bridge). You don't go up those stairs (they're to the northbound platform), you go through the subway by the stairs and climb the other stairs to the southbound platform.

Got it thanks :)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
mrredrunner100
Zone 3

Post by mrredrunner100 »

Unfortunately I won't be able to make this one as something has come up and I've been ill this week and i probably shouldn't run round the underground with it, you may see me at the pub after though
Best FNC time
18:10:37 :)
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

I have had an extra hours sleep and will instead join the lee on solent run as I'm not doing the challenge it save me some money daz will also be there.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:I have had an extra hours sleep and will instead join the lee on solent run as I'm not doing the challenge it save me some money daz will also be there.
Enjoy, Andi!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
crypto
Zone 2

Post by crypto »

Turns out I'll be in London today, so no challenge but I'll probably join you lot in the pub later.
Sarnian
Zone 1

Post by Sarnian »

I may as well start off the writeups then.

Stations were (in no particular order, not even the one in the envelope):

Highbury and Islington
St Paul's
Swiss Cottage
Marble Arch
Great Portland Street
Edgware Road (Circle)
Paddington (Circle/Bak)
Bayswater
Queen's Park
Westbourne Park
Pimlico
Vauxhall
Kennington
Holborn
Canada Water

I teamed up with Hugo for this challenge.

Our route was:

H&I
Kings Cross St Pancakes
Holborn
(St Pauls) Bank
London Bridge
Canada Water
London Bridge
(Kennington) Stockwell
(Vauxhall, Pimlico) Green Park
Bond Street
(Marble Arch) Queensway
Run to Bayswater
Edgware Road (Circle)
Westbourne Park
Royal Oak
Run to Warwick Avenue
Queen's Park
Regent's Park
Run to Great Portland Street
Baker Street
Swiss Cottage.

First things first, the day started off well when I had to get from Blackfriars to H&I for the start, when it turned out that Thameslink was buggered, the District Line had seven minutes for a train that went anywhere useful and when I got to Moorgate I saw a Northern City 313 pulling out of the platforms. I'll ride it one day.

We waited until 12:35:30 to start because Myles hadn't turned up. He apparently arrived two minutes after we gave up on him.

Anyway, Hugo scanned the list for stations north of KX on the Picc and none were there, so we charged down to the Vic line and got the first one out of there, followed by an average change to the Picc southbound at KX. All of our changes were "average" - nothing in the platform, with one or two minutes before the next, with the exception of two.

We were sharing our carriage with Peter and Tangy. This would be a recurring feature.

Some debate about whether it would be quicker via Shadwell to Canada Water rather than LB, and we decided that the Tube option was best, but we may not have been right.

The Canada Water double-back, two London Bridge changes, Stockwell, Green Park and Bond Street changes happened before we managed to lose Tangy, who doubled back at Marble Arch, into a train in the platform. Peter followed us at least as far as Stockwell too.

At Queensway we had to let a lift go as it was pretty full, then got the second one, sprinted down the road to Bayswater to watch a Circle line train to Edgware Road leave. There was nothing on the board, which meant I had more than enough time to use the self-checkout at Sainsbury's angrily to buy myself some drinks and have my Sheffield travelcard rejected by the barriers, then another few minutes wait before *finally* a District line train trundled in, after 10 minutes or so. My nemesis on these challenges, the District line.

Up to Edgware Road where we met DrainBrain, a double back at Westbourne Park then a half-run, half-walk to Warwick Avenue. At Queen's Park the Overground to South Hampstead had a 12 minute wait on it, so the plan to finish at GPS was abandoned in favour of a run from Regent's Park to GPS and a change at Baker Street to finish at Swiss Cottage in 02:18 dead - but I'll leave it to our BERC to reveal how well that time did.

Then there was our fifth 1996 stock of the day that sped into Swiss Cottage as we arrived for the double back to the pub. Some luck like that may have gone some way earlier. BAYSWATER!!

At the pub I managed to win a game of arrows, so that was a highlight!
Last edited by Sarnian on 13 Mar 2016, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
Next station: Jurong East. Cross over to platform D for train service towards Woodlands and Ang Mo Kio.
All Lines PB: 41:02 Zone 1 PB: 2:52:43
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Sarnian wrote: Our route was:

H&I
Kings Cross St Pancakes
Holborn
(St Pauls) Bank
London Bridge
Canada Water
London Bridge
(Kennington) Oval
(Vauxhall, Pimlico) Green Park
Bond Street
(Marble Arch) Queensway
Run to Bayswater
Edgware Road (Circle)
Westbourne Park
Royal Oak
Run to Warwick Avenue
Queen's Park
Regent's Park
Run to Great Portland Street
Baker Street
Swiss Cottage.

At the pub I managed to win a game of arrows, so that was a highlight!
Firstly I have to say that is a pretty solid and sensible route I assume you changed at Stockwell (not mentioned) or ran Oval to Vauxhall? And when myself and A2 had finished I did suggest that was probably a better way than we ha approached it...

Well done on the darts, your throw was looking pretty good tonight :)
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

We'd have done a lot better if Bayswater hadn't screwed us over! I'm fairly sure that was closer to 12 minutes there. Yes, Stockwell not Oval, of course.

Our original route involved after Queen's Park going to South Hampstead, Swiss Cottage and then to GPS (which would have been faster). Losing Bayswater's 12 minute wait would have translated the 12 minute wait for the Overground into a wait of a few minutes for the Overground before, leaving us 20+ minutes up (and breaking the 2 hour barrier)!

Notably, despite me not having passed through Earl's Court today (which is downright bizarre), the District Line still manages to ruin things.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The BERC here with the results of round 4 of the 2015/16 Random 15 Championship.

This was a normal no twists round- so just 15 randomly generated stations on the London Underground network within zones 1-2.

Therefore, as mentioned above, the generator gave us the following:
--Highbury & Islington
--Great Portland Street
--St. Paul's
--Canada Water
--Queen's Park
--Holborn
--Bayswater
--Pimlico
--Swiss Cottage
--Paddington (Bak/Dist)
--Edgware Road (Circle)
--Westbourne Park
--Marble Arch
--Kennington
--Vauxhall (LU)

We had 10 challengers split into 7 teams, with 6 different finishing stations! This was a close contest with only 14 minutes separating first and last.

7th: Glen Bryant finishing at St. Paul's in a time of 02:23:36
6th: The Orange One and Sam Smith finishing at Swiss Cottage in a time of 02:18:00
5th: Andrew Chilcraft and Steve McSherry finishing at Marble Arch in a time of 02:16:01
4th: Nick Gardner finishing at Marble Arch in a time of 02:13:51
3rd: Peter Smyth finishing at Kilburn Park in a time of 02:11:14
2nd: Tangy finishing at Queen's Park in a time of 02:10:34
1st: Kevin Brown and Andrew Baker finishing at Pimlico in a time of 02:09:57

The leaderboard (after 4 rounds) now looks like this:

1st: The Orange One: 37 points [4 rounds attended]
=2nd: Andrew Chilcraft: 36 points [4]
=2nd: Steve McSherry: 36 points [4]
4th: Tangy: 34 points [4]
5th: Andrew Baker: 33 points [4]
6th: Peter Smyth: 25 points [4]
7th: Kevin Brown: 24 points [3]
8th: Josh Ageros: 20 points [3]
9th: Glen Bryant: 18 points [3]
=10th: Sam Smith: 15 points [3]
=10th: Harry Ageros: 15 points [2]
12th: Nick Gardner: 14 points [3]
13th: Rhys Benjamin: 12 points [1]
=14th: James Ross: 10 points [2]
=14th: Leam Farrar: 10 points [1]
=16th: Richard Martin: 6 points [1]
=16th: Richard Standing: 6 points [1]
18th: Damian Cook: 5 points [1]
19th: Tom Wood: 3 points [1]
=20th: Sam Inman: 0 points [1]
=20th: Aaron Dadd: 0 points [1]
=20th: Alex Kneller: 0 points [1]

Thank you all for attending and round 5 will be held on Saturday 4th June 2016, it will be an Overground included twist round with an unconventional start.

Tangy.
The BERC.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

My route/commentary was as follows:

Upon opening the envelope and seeing nothing like Finsbury Park on the list, headed straight to down to a waiting southbound Victoria Line train. Debated whether to route via Holborn or GPS upon reaching KX, decided on the former, so off onto the Piccadilly Line.

Down to HOLBORN, then change to the Central Line for ST. PAUL'S. My next decision was how to get over to Canada Water, I initially thought of the DLR via Shadwell but then thought no, it is less stations via London Bridge. So bailed at Bank down to the Northern Line for the one stop hop to London bridge for the JLE eastbound to CANADA WATER. It was then back to London Bridge to continue south on the Northern Line via KENNINGTON to Stockwell.

Stockwell change on the northbound Victoria Line via VAUXHALL and PIMLICO to Green Park. All the time changing my mind on which way to visit the remaining stations with several routes being considered, but finally decided the rest of my route. So it was off at Green Park (finally losing Peter, but not for long) for a one stop hop on the Jubilee to Bond Street for another one stop hop to MARBLE ARCH.

Finally losing The Orange One and Sam at this point as they stayed on the train further west, I headed back to Bond Street, to continue my northbound journey on the Jubilee to SWISS COTTAGE. I was re-joined by Peter at Baker Street and upon alighting at Swiss Cottage was also joined by NIck. Doubled back to Baker Street and ran through the station onto a waiting clockwise Circle line for GREAT PORTLAND STREET (and for the first time without other challengers for company). Had a lovely one minute turnaround at GPS to head back west to EDGWARE ROAD (Circle). There was a Wimbleware sat in platform but took 3-4 minutes to depart taking me through PADDINGTON (Bak/Dist) and onwards to BAYSWATER.

I alighted here, and up to street level. My intention was to run to the H&C (and roughly knew the way) but right on cue a route 70 bus pulled up outside, perfect! This bus took me within one stop of Westbourne Park, ran the rest of the way. Upon entering WESTBOURNE PARK I was behind Andrew C and Steve who had just alighted a bus from the other direction. Here followed the worst wait of the challenge, 6 minutes for a H&C to show up to take me one stop to Royal Oak.

It was then one of the more usual Random 15 running sections, that to Warwick Avenue. Two minute wait for my final train up to QUEEN'S PARK for the finish.

Apart from the subsurface line waits at Edgware Road and Westbourne Park, all my other interchanges were all 1-3 minutes.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

A reasonable performance by me for once.

Essentially there were two puzzles: best way to loop around the eastern and southern stations and best way to weave through the closely bunched stations in the north-west. I went:

Highbury & Islington :arrow: Oxford Circus :arrow: (Holborn, St. Paul's) Bank :arrow: London Bridge :arrow: Canada Water :arrow: London Bridge :arrow: (Kennington) Stockwell :arrow: (Vauxhall, Pimlico) Green Park :arrow: Swiss Cottage :arrow: Baker Street :arrow: Great Portland Street :arrow: (Edgware Road Cir/Dis/H&C) Westbourne Park :arrow: Royal Oak :arrow: run to Warwick Avenue :arrow: Queen's Park :arrow: Paddington (Bak/Cir/Dis) :arrow: Bayswater :arrow: run to Queensway :arrow: Marble Arch

Got delayed at red signals for about 5 minutes outside Bank, but things mostly went well after that.

Saw tangy and Peter at Swiss Cottage and followed tangy till he got off at Edgware Road and then bumped into TOO and Sam. Proceeded to chase them on the run from Royal Oak to Warwick Avenue and was somehow still on the same train as them back to Paddington from Queen's Park.

More bad luck on that section of line as I waited five minutes at Paddington for a train down to Bayswater - the longest wait of the day.

My finishing time of 2:13:51 is my fastest ever for an R15, edging out my time at the legendary Winter Tube Olympics R15 by 49 seconds.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds