Labyrinth "Full Network Challenge"

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Labyrinth "Full Network Challenge"

Post by michael_churchill »

After the discussion starting at http://www.tubeforum.co.uk/forum/viewto ... =60#p88778 about the Art on the Underground Labyrinths, I've been thinking of starting a long-term challenge...

Completing a full network challenge by seeing all "Labyrinth" artworks in order.

This won't be efficient time-wise since, at every station, I will have to get off a train, find the labyrinth then get on another train. So I'm thinking of doing it over several days, not consecutively, whenever I happen to be in London. At the end of each day, I'll "stop the clock" on my cumulative time at a particular labyrinth then start again at the same one next time. I'll try to do each day on my Oyster, but I'll have to be careful considering which labyrinths are inside the ticket barriers and which are outside. A long run of labyrinths that are inside the station could see me exceed the maximum journey time. Ending one journey by exiting a station then quickly entering the same station to start a new journey has no penalty does it?

Anyway, I won't be able to do more than the first 131 before August, when Holland Park reopens.

Am I completely mad?
The Raven
All Zones

Re: Labyrinth "Full Network Challenge"

Post by The Raven »

No
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

The Raven wrote:No
I agree. Just beware of Caledonian Road, whose closure was featured on the BBC London TV News as it is shut for eight months from February to October.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

It could take you a very long time just to do as far as North Harrow, bearing in mind the relative infrequency of trains on that part of the Met.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
michael_churchill
Zone 6

A Challenge wrote:
The Raven wrote:No
I agree. Just beware of Caledonian Road, whose closure was featured on the BBC London TV News as it is shut for eight months from February to October.
Of the three stations that are or will soon be temporarily closed, Holland Park (reopens August) is first at 132, then Tufnell Park (reopens March) at 208 and Caledonian Road at 228. What I don't know is if Paddington at 55, which the route would have me reach by the Bakerloo line, will still have its labyrinth accessible when the Bakerloo stops stopping there. I may have to make sure I get the first 55 done before April.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

I've started a blog, http://diamondtittle.blogspot.co.uk, where I'll be posting if this ever goes ahead. So far I just have a couple of posts, including the full route.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

RJSRdg wrote:It could take you a very long time just to do as far as North Harrow, bearing in mind the relative infrequency of trains on that part of the Met.
I've worked out a preliminary schedule for leg 1, based on Saturday timetables, including getting to the start in Chesham from Southampton. It has me taking 3 hrs 5 min to get to North Harrow from Chesham, which I guess is a very long time, relatively speaking! On day one, I probably wouldn't get any further than East Acton at #24, as I wouldn't want to turn around and head towards West Ruislip at that time of day.
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

michael_churchill wrote:
RJSRdg wrote:It could take you a very long time just to do as far as North Harrow, bearing in mind the relative infrequency of trains on that part of the Met.
I've worked out a preliminary schedule for leg 1, based on Saturday timetables, including getting to the start in Chesham from Southampton. It has me taking 3 hrs 5 min to get to North Harrow from Chesham, which I guess is a very long time, relatively speaking! On day one, I probably wouldn't get any further than East Acton at #24, as I wouldn't want to turn around and head towards West Ruislip at that time of day.
Good luck. I hope that you enjoy it, and don't kind it too trying. If you don't revisit Chesham the start of the challenge to the end would be a (long) FNC.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Weekend tube strike called off! Yay!

I was afraid my tube adventure plans would be curtailed.

Back to my original plan... try some of the shorter challenges like "Mouse" and "All Lines" on Saturday, potter around on Sunday by starting my Labyrinth Full Network Challenge and possibly try out my route for the DLR challenge on Monday.

This weekend will either be the start of my tube challenging career or the abrupt end.
Last edited by michael_churchill on 05 Feb 2016, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

If you do start your career successfully, how about advancing it further and turning up at a Random 15 in March?
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

The Orange One wrote:If you do start your career successfully, how about advancing it further and turning up at a Random 15 in March?
Says the bloke who won't attempt the proper Guinness world records attempt
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Well, without worrying at all about door positions and with no running (I'm no Mo Farah), I've set my first time for the Mouse and All Lines challenge. My other excuse is carrying my rucksack packed for the weekend with me.

My time for the Mouse Challenge was 1:41:56. It made me realise that my algorithm for route planning does need to minimise interchanges rather than the number of stations visited. The only consolation is that it is faster than Andi has ever done :D

My time for the All Lines challenge was 48:00.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
The Orange One wrote:If you do start your career successfully, how about advancing it further and turning up at a Random 15 in March?

But Hugo is a fantastic support person on FNC :)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

That Mouse time is pretty decent! My Mouse route only visits 3 stations twice but includes 2 out of station runs. Like you say, it's about interchanges. As for the All Lines, if it couldn't be done on a single Zone 1 Oyster Fare I wouldn't bother doing it that often; it's not the best challenge.
Going Underground wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:
But Hugo is a fantastic support person on FNC :)
At least somebody appreciates me :)
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Well, yesterday, I got photos of labyrinths 1 (Chesham) to 31 (West Ruislip), all stations I've never been to before. I'm on my way home now and I'll blog the pictures when I can.

This morning I set a DLR time of 2:17:31, starting at Beckton. Has anybody else done Woolwich Arsenal to Lewisham by Southeastern? It's dangerous because the service is half-hourly, but it actually worked quite well because it was late!