Labyrinth "Full Network Challenge"

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
The Orange One
All Zones

Re: Labyrinth "Full Network Challenge"

Post by The Orange One »

Myself, no. I've always gone for the Gallions Reach - KGV run (I use the term loosely because I use the bus instead).

I am aware of at least one attempt that did use such a gambit (the challengers in question planned it carefully).
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

Pitty the girl didn't move at Amersham, but I suppose you want to get on. Northwood Hills (Number 10), Sudbury Hill (Number 15) and North Ealing (Number 19)are technically not labyrinths as they have junctions in what is then actually a maze, and they are all the same. I don't think there are others in 1-31 but there will almost certainly be on the network!
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

A Challenge wrote:
Pitty the girl didn't move at Amersham, but I suppose you want to get on. Northwood Hills (Number 10), Sudbury Hill (Number 15) and North Ealing (Number 19)are technically not labyrinths as they have junctions in what is then actually a maze, and they are all the same. I don't think there are others in 1-31 but there will almost certainly be on the network!
Have you tried solving them? None of those three labyrinths have any junctions on the path.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

greatkingrat wrote:
A Challenge wrote:
Have you tried solving them? None of those three labyrinths have any junctions on the path.
I ended up at a junction, and so assumed it was on the path. Must have gone wrong and jumped a line of something!

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

A Challenge wrote:
Pitty the girl didn't move at Amersham, but I suppose you want to get on.
Actually, unsurprisingly, I had quite a bit of time to wait at Amersham. The only thing that concerned me is that you can still see the serial number.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

I was concerned that I'd easily get bored and wonder why I started such a stupid project, but not so far. I've been to 31 stations that I wouldn't visit otherwise. Some have been uninteresting - East Acton springs to mind. But I can also say I've been to North Ealing, which surely hasn't changed since the days of steam. I'm actually looking forward to what the other 239 have to offer.

PS. I have to give a shout out to Geoff Marshall, whose web site and app told me exactly where to find the labyrinths.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

michael_churchill wrote:What I don't know is if Paddington at 55, which the route would have me reach by the Bakerloo line, will still have its labyrinth accessible when the Bakerloo stops stopping there. I may have to make sure I get the first 55 done before April.
So, I now know that number 55 at Paddington is now inaccessible, now that the Bakerloo doesn't stop there, and I can't get that one until August. geofftech's web site and the photo on the Art On The Underground web site both indicate that it is at the Bakerloo line end of the corridor that links to the District/Circle lines, and that area is out of bounds.

I've worked out that the next leg restarting at number 31 West Ruislip would get to Paddington in under 4 hours, then I won't be able to do any more for four months. I've been considering skipping Paddington so that I can continue - after all, I'll only be cheating myself. But if I did, I'm sure that it would always be in the back of my head that I'm not doing it properly.

Does the fact that I'm even considering doing this mean that I don't have the right mentality to be a "true" tube challenger?
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

I think that a "pass-thru" should be allowed ;)
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Steeevooo wrote:I think that a "pass-thru" should be allowed ;)
But then he won't get a picture of the labyrinth, which is what he is trying to do at each station
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Steeevooo wrote:I think that a "pass-thru" should be allowed ;)
You see, this is what I was thinking. If you were doing a proper Full Network Challenge today, you'd still have to tick off Paddington on a Circle/District train wouldn't you? But for labyrinths Paddington is completely closed, so a pass through would be acceptable.

As a half-way measure, I could print out an image of number 55 (from the Art On The Underground web site) and take a photo of that somewhere that proves I was at Paddington :)
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

michael_churchill wrote: ...Has anybody else done Woolwich Arsenal to Lewisham by Southeastern? It's dangerous because the service is half-hourly, but it actually worked quite well because it was late!
My route for SLAM does! Only Lewisham - Woolwich Arsenal, rather than Woolwich Arsenal - Lewisham
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
michael_churchill
Zone 6

http://diamondtittle.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... to-41.html

... and on the way, I bagged the mythical, mystical Paddington to West Ruislip
http://diamondtittle.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... islip.html
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Now I discover that number 65, Lambeth North is closed until February!

Definitely doing a pass through, at both Paddington and Lambeth North.
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

michael_churchill wrote:Now I discover that number 65, Lambeth North is closed until February!

Definitely doing a pass through, at both Paddington and Lambeth North.
Will you be getting off and going to the closest possible spot (busses to Lambeth North as well as a pass through without counting either Waterloo or Elephant and Castle) or just a pass through.

Also, does anyone know when Paddington Bakerloo reopens?