Tube Olympics 2016 (Summer Games)

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tangy
Site Administrator

Tube Olympics 2016 (Summer Games)

Post by tangy »

Hello from the TOSA (Tube Olympics Supreme Administrator). I am here today to formally open proceedings for the 2016 summer Tube Olympics.

The previous summer Tube Olympics in London, UK were so successful (in which a few new WRs were obtained) and enjoyable that it has been decided to head back there this year. London here we come...

There are six events in which you can compete in (pick as many as you wish), though the more you enter the more chance you have of gaining a medal. The dates for each event are as follows:

Event 1: Tuesday 5th July 2016- All Lines Challenge EVENING EVENT
Event 2: Friday 8th July 2016- Bottle Challenge EVENING EVENT
Event 3: Wednesday 13th July 2016- Zone 1 Challenge EVENING EVENT
Event 4: Tuesday 19th July 2016- DLR Challenge EVENING EVENT
Event 5: Friday 22nd July 2016- Full Network Challenge FULL DAY EVENT
Event 6: Saturday 23rd July 2016- Random 15 Challenge DAYTIME EVENT **Also doubles up as round 6 of the ongoing 2015/16 Random 15 Championship**

This is just a summary post to ensure all challengers have notice of when each event will be held, so as to book transport/accommodation/days leave. Full details of each event will be posted individually nearer the time, all evening events will commence no earlier than 18:00 UK local time.

Tube Olympics is open to all, whether you are a seasoned challenger or a young upstart. Comments/discussion welcome below.

Tangy
The TOSA.
Last edited by tangy on 06 Jan 2016, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
The Raven
All Zones

Re: Tube Olympics 2016 (Summer Games)

Post by The Raven »

Better than Brazil!

I'll be there!
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Tangy any chance of moving the R15 to the to the 23rd so we can double up with full network.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

Isn't it risky publishing these dates so far in advance?

It gives TfL time to organise engineering works or "unexpected delays" on the Hainault loop.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

michael_churchill wrote:Isn't it risky publishing these dates so far in advance?

It gives TfL time to organise engineering works or "unexpected delays" on the Hainault loop.
You think tfl actually read the tube forum :O I do agree with the idea of a full network the day before though 15th as u have to have accommodation for that.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
michael_churchill wrote:Isn't it risky publishing these dates so far in advance?

You think tfl actually read the tube forum :O I do agree with the idea of a full network the day before though 15th as u have to have accommodation for that.
I just get the general impression that the powers that be would prefer that it didn't happen.
Until they find a way of charging you more based on the number of stations you visit.
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

They can't change the CoC very easily and I don't think TFL are concerned with a handful of correctly ticketed people travelling around the network. And at £21+ we already pay a premium compared to most who only travel within London.
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

michael_churchill wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:

I just get the general impression that the powers that be would prefer that it didn't happen.
Until they find a way of charging you more based on the number of stations you visit.
That wouldn't be at all fair on tube challengers as including repeated stations there is 300+ stations visited on a challenge! London busses used to charge by stop, though, at least in Enfield in the 1970s, though this isn't my experience.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
michael_churchill
Zone 6

A Challenge wrote:
michael_churchill wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:

That wouldn't be at all fair on tube challengers as including repeated stations there is 300+ stations visited on a challenge! London busses used to charge by stop, though, at least in Enfield in the 1970s, though this isn't my experience.
I'm only joking of course, and I know you need to take out a mortgage and buy a 9 zone, peak time, all day, full fat ticket with extra syrup. But assuming they price travelcards and Oyster daily caps based on "normal" usage, I bet they still consider tube challengers as "abusing the system".
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

I personally don't think Tfl even consider it if there was a 1000 challenges a year that's 1000 out of 1.2billion passengers.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

It is possible that one day it will no longer be possible to buy a paper travelcard and the only option will be Oyster / contactless cards.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
michael_churchill
Zone 6

nozzacook wrote:I personally don't think Tfl even consider it if there was a 1000 challenges a year that's 1000 out of 1.2billion passengers.
Point, good, well made.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

greatkingrat wrote:It is possible that one day it will no longer be possible to buy a paper travelcard and the only option will be Oyster / contactless cards.
As long as there are still tourists who know no better, who will buy a £4.60 cash single for Leicester Square to Covent Garden, there will be paper tickets.
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Sorry for perpetuating off-topic.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

greatkingrat wrote:It is possible that one day it will no longer be possible to buy a paper travelcard and the only option will be Oyster / contactless cards.
This doesn't make the challenge impossible, just very, very difficult. I have completed challenges under these restrictions before (All Lines, Bottle, Mouse, DLR Z1, Z1&2, Points of the Compass, South of the Thames); time can usually be found although OSIs must be catered for. Let's not open this can of worms again though.
tangy wrote:Hello from the TOSA (Tube Olympics Supreme Administrator). I am here today to formally open proceedings for the 2016 summer Tube Olympics.

The previous summer Tube Olympics in London, UK were so successful (in which a few new WRs were obtained) and enjoyable that it has been decided to head back there this year.
Heading back to topic, are we holding a joint event with our Sydneysider friends or was that just random discussion?
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.