Random 15 Championship 2015/16: Round 2

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
greatkingrat
All Zones

Re: Random 15 Championship 2015/16: Round 2

Post by greatkingrat »

And the winning route was

Camden Town :arrow: Chalk Farm :arrow: King's Cross :arrow: Finsbury Park :arrow: King's Cross :arrow: Borough :arrow: Bank/Monument :arrow: Tower Hill :arrow: Temple (run to) Covent Garden :arrow: Hyde Park Corner :arrow: Green Park :arrow: Bond Street :arrow: Green Park :arrow: Pimlico :arrow: Victoria :arrow: Earl's Court (run to) West Brompton :arrow: Earl's Court :arrow: Hammersmith (Picc) :arrow: Hammersmith (H&C) Platform 1! :arrow: Royal Oak
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Yeah, yeah, we all know about Platform 1.

Temple to Covent Garden is a nasty run! You've either got that slope up to Aldwych, or the steps up to Waterloo Bridge. Then you've got the run up towards the piazza.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Yes, I went via Aldwych. Not sure if it actually gained me anything over going via Bank and Holborn but didn't really fancy the Dist->Cent change at Bank.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I'd take the Dis/Cen change any day over THAT. Maybe even Cannon Street/Bank, but that is horrible.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The results of round 2 of the 2015/16 Random 15 Championship are as follows:

This was a bog standard London Underground in zones 1-2 only but with a live draw with all challengers present picking stations for this challenge out of a bucket whilst at the meeting point, these stations were:
--Camden Town (meet up)
--Pimlico
--Chalk Farm
--Finsbury Park
--Angel
--Tower Hill
--London Bridge
--Borough
--Covent Garden
--Hyde Park Corner
--West Brompton
--Royal Oak
--Piccadilly Circus
--Hammersmith H&C
--Bond Street

There was 12 challengers split into 7 teams, in order in which these teams finished is as below (in reverse order):

7th: Sam Smith and James Ross finishing at Finsbury Park in a time of 02:25:08.
3rd=: Kevin Brown finishing at Royal Oak in a time of 02:17:44.
3rd=: Tangy finishing at Royal Oak in a time of 02:17:44.
3rd=: The Orange One, Josh & Harry Ageros finishing at Royal Oak in a time of 02:17:44.
3rd=: Andrew Chilcraft and Steve McSherry finishing at Royal Oak in a time of 02:177:44.
2nd: Andrew Baker and Glen Bryant finishing at Finsbury Park in a time of 02:15:34.
1st: Peter Smyth finishing at Royal Oak in a time of 02:12:13.

The leaderboard (after round 2) looks like this:

1st: The Orange One: 20 points [2 rounds attended]
=2nd: Andrew Chilcraft: 18 points [2]
=2nd: Steve McSherry: 18 points [2]
4th: Peter Smyth: 17 points [2]
=5th: Tangy: 16 points [2]
=5th: Andrew Baker: 16 points [2]
=7th: Josh Ageros: 15 points [2]
=7th: Harry Ageros: 15 points [2]
9th: Glen Bryant: 14 points [2]
10th: Kevin Brown: 12 points [2]
11th: Leam Farrar: 10 points [1]
12th: Richard Martin: 6 points [1]
=13th: Nick Gardner: 3 points [1]
=13th: Tom Wood: 3 points [1]
=13th: Sam Smith: 3 points [1]
=13th: James Ross: 3 points [1]

Thank you all for attending, the next round will be held on the 9th January 2016 and will be a twist round- the twist being that the DLR will be added into the mix (with 7 new stations to welcome into zone 2).
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

And for anyone who liked the situation on Saturday (no closures!), once more the only thing closed is the Piccadilly from Acton Town to Uxbridge!

Let's hope for a bit more variety this time though, the last two rounds have been dull as ditchwater (even Z1-4 + NR South of the Thames managed to be a total disappointment).
leamfarrar
Zone 3

Post by leamfarrar »

So sad that I missed it :( If I had the money, I would have flown back just for the round and then flown back home. I'll be thinking of you all when we do our first ever R15 Championship round early next year here in Sydney.
Leam Mark Farrar
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

leamfarrar wrote:So sad that I missed it :( If I had the money, I would have flown back just for the round and then flown back home. I'll be thinking of you all when we do our first ever R15 Championship round early next year here in Sydney.
Why don't u publish any rounds early enough for flights on here a special guest may turn up a bit like storage hunters uk
leamfarrar
Zone 3

Post by leamfarrar »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
leamfarrar wrote:So sad that I missed it :( If I had the money, I would have flown back just for the round and then flown back home. I'll be thinking of you all when we do our first ever R15 Championship round early next year here in Sydney.
Why don't u publish any rounds early enough for flights on here a special guest may turn up a bit like storage hunters uk
We have our first round on January 9th, 2016. Sorry I haven't gotten around to answering this, been very busy moving house
Leam Mark Farrar
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

leamfarrar wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:
We have our first round on January 9th, 2016. Sorry I haven't gotten around to answering this, been very busy moving house
Well if i had the money u see i have come along for that as im on holiday then!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

It's a shame hypersonic air travel hasn't been invented yet! Imagine if it was possible to do London and sydney rounds of the R15 in the same day!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

What are the odds of Lewisham or Kings Cross coming out on both R15s!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

In fact you could make a new challenge - The Ashes Challenge

Visit Richmond, Sydenham, Regents Park, Stanmore, Lewisham, Epping and Kings Cross, then finish in the Olympic Park. Which continent you choose to do the challenge in is entirely up to you :D
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

greatkingrat wrote:In fact you could make a new challenge - The Ashes Challenge

Visit Richmond, Sydenham, Regents Park, Stanmore, Lewisham, Epping and Kings Cross, then finish in the Olympic Park. Which continent you choose to do the challenge in is entirely up to you :D
All in UK, stop the clock, all in Australia: final time?
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Tube Olympics Event Number 7!! And you Sydney people can run your own Tube Olympics too this year; this can be a joint event. Here's my bash at routes...

London:
Stanmore :arrow: Wembley Park :arrow: Great Portland Street :arrow: Regent's Park :arrow: Oxford Circus :arrow: King's Cross :arrow: Victoria :arrow: Richmond :arrow: Clapham Junction :arrow: Forest Hill (via Crystal Palace) :arrow: Catford Bridge (185 bus) :arrow: Lewisham :arrow: Canary Wharf :arrow: Stratford :arrow: Epping :arrow: Stratford :arrow: run to Olympic Park.

Strikes me that the Jubilee Line would be faster getting you from Stanmore to Stratford, but hey. Didn't start at Epping because it's on a branch from Stratford anyway.

Sydney (would leave this to the experts, but running purely by what's on the maps):
Richmond :arrow: Blacktown :arrow: Strathfield (NSW Trainlink) :arrow: Epping (NSW Trainlink) :arrow: Burwood :arrow: Town Hall (Inner West) :arrow: King's Cross :arrow: Sydenham :arrow: Lidcombe (Bankstown) :arrow: Olympic Park.

Epping on the Northern Line, that's bizarre.

Actually, let's have a look at Tube Olympics events and how they might transfer.

- The Mouse/Bottle looks like it would become the Seal (both routes between Glenfield and Town Hall plus all intermediate stations). Only one of these challenges ever happens in a Tube Olympics so you won't end up repeating it.
- Zone 1 will probably have a counterpart in Sydney soon.
- All Lines becomes the All Lines, obviously. I think I might actually prefer the Sydney version of the All Lines, ours is simultaneously frantic and boring.
- Random 15 becomes the Random 15, you have those now.
- DLR; you have a light rail line don't you? :D I suppose it's like our TfL Rail challenge, you get on at one end, hope the train doesn't break down and get a mediocre time at the other.
- Full Network; you have one of these already.
- Tramlink; don't think you have trams. You could put together a Trainlink challenge I guess, but you'd have to stick restrictions on. I don't know about your version of the Travelcard, perhaps you could restrict it to the areas covered by this?
- Nordic Combined: This is a brilliant little challenge. First half involves getting to as many stations in 60 minutes as possible. Second half is a quiz. You should try to score well on both.

Conclusion: We could definitely run a joint championship.