Random 15 Championship 2015/16: Round 2

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Re: Random 15 Championship 2015/16: Round 2

Post by michael_churchill »

greatkingrat wrote:In fact you could make a new challenge - The Ashes Challenge

Visit Richmond, Sydenham, Regents Park, Stanmore, Lewisham, Epping and Kings Cross, then finish in the Olympic Park. Which continent you choose to do the challenge in is entirely up to you :D
Are these really all the names of stations in Sydney? Jesus, Australia, come up with something original!

In the past I've thought about the challenge of achieving the fastest time between stations with the same name in different cities. For example, the only stations on the London Underground and the Paris Metro with exactly the same name are Temple. Stretch the spelling and pronunciation and you can have St. Paul's/Saint-Paul. Until it closed in 1939 there was an Arsenal in Paris. Any others in other cities?

Allowing the same name in different languages... When I visited Rome, the closest metro station to where I stayed was Cipro, Italian for Cyprus. So Cipro in Rome to Cyprus DLR?
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

There is also Windsor, Penrith, Guildford, Liverpool, Canterbury and Cheltenham, although including them might make the UK leg of the challenge a bit long!
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
leamfarrar
Zone 3

Post by leamfarrar »

The Orange One wrote:Actually, let's have a look at Tube Olympics events and how they might transfer.

- The Mouse/Bottle looks like it would become the Seal (both routes between Glenfield and Town Hall plus all intermediate stations). Only one of these challenges ever happens in a Tube Olympics so you won't end up repeating it.
- Zone 1 will probably have a counterpart in Sydney soon.
- All Lines becomes the All Lines, obviously. I think I might actually prefer the Sydney version of the All Lines, ours is simultaneously frantic and boring.
- Random 15 becomes the Random 15, you have those now.
- DLR; you have a light rail line don't you? :D I suppose it's like our TfL Rail challenge, you get on at one end, hope the train doesn't break down and get a mediocre time at the other.
- Full Network; you have one of these already.
- Tramlink; don't think you have trams. You could put together a Trainlink challenge I guess, but you'd have to stick restrictions on. I don't know about your version of the Travelcard, perhaps you could restrict it to the areas covered by this?
- Nordic Combined: This is a brilliant little challenge. First half involves getting to as many stations in 60 minutes as possible. Second half is a quiz. You should try to score well on both.

Conclusion: We could definitely run a joint championship.
Mouse/Bottle: It is possible
Zone 1: I am planning one, we would include our ticketing Zone 1 plus our light rail service to be within about 1 or 2 stations to the LU Zone 1 Challenge
All Line is possible
Random 15 we are doing, but our championship is done over a calender year; first one is early Jan 2016
DLR is our light rail, but we only have 1 line, but come 2019, we will have a new line and 19 more stations (this one will be interchangeable with our current line)... and then sometime after 2019/2020, we should have another two lines that would require a train journey to get to as it would be seperate to the other two.
Nordic Combined: possible.

We have always been looking for new challenges to do, the first was the R15... but now I'm going to look at bringing these in, and we can work together.
Leam Mark Farrar