Random 15 Championship 2015/16: Round 1

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Re: Random 15 Championship 2015/16: Round 1

Post by MylesHSG »

I recommend an app called Citymapper as well. Could come in very handy on Saturday.

Can we confirm there is a 5 hour time limit?
The King is back! Long live The King!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

MylesHSG wrote:I recommend an app called Citymapper as well. Could come in very handy on Saturday.

Can we confirm there is a 5 hour time limit?

Nope it's 6
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

5 is quite a demand to place on us!

I shudder at the thought of those rugby fans. 1430 start, apparently, and we'll be right there in the middle of it all!
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

1430 isn't too bad. We should have finished that section of line (if it comes out) before the busiest time.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Let's hope. Of course, they'll already have rugby specials running at that time...
agerj001
Zone 1

Post by agerj001 »

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/ge ... sz=1&swk=1 Countdown until the start, not long... R15SEP15
Josh Ageros
Managing Director - RailRiders

"This station has step free access" - YES!!!!
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »

Sorry, but what is the 'rugby' line?
leamfarrar
Zone 3

Post by leamfarrar »

MylesHSG wrote:Sorry, but what is the 'rugby' line?
Sounds like the line out to Twickenham, the home of England Rugby. They are playing there on Saturday afternoon against Ireland, hence all the talk about it.
Leam Mark Farrar
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »

Christ
mrredrunner100
Zone 3

Post by mrredrunner100 »

Unfortunately, I'm unable to come now, I'll be at round 2
Best FNC time
18:10:37 :)
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Here follows the results of round 1 of the 2015/16 Random 15 Championship. We started off proceedings with a twist round, which did not turn out as evil as was feared! All stations drawn were selected from the LU, LO, NR and DLR networks in zones 1-4 and all south of the Thames.

The generator therefore gave us the following:
--Clapham Junction (meet up)
--Kew Gardens
--Waterloo East
--Streatham
--Grove Park
--Hither Green
--Queens Road Peckham
--Clapham South
--Barnes
--Wandsworth Road
--Stockwell
--Bermondsey
--Balham (LU)
--Lee
--Loughborough Junction

We had 14 challengers split into 9 teams:
=8th: Nick Gardner finishing at Mottingham in a time of 04:33:41
=8th: Tom Wood finishing at Mottingham in a time of 04:33:41
7th: Kevin Brown and Glen Bryant finishing at Lee in a time of 04:05:32
6th: Peter Smyth finishing at Loughborough Junction in a time of 03:48:14
5th: Andrew Baker and Richard Martin finishing at Lee in a time of 03:44:18
4th: Josh and Harry Ageros (Rail Riders Group) finishing at Grove Park in a time of 03:43:12
3rd: Tangy finishing at Hither Green in a time of 03:40:48
2nd: Andrew Chilcraft, Steve McSherry and Leam Farrar finishing at Lee in a time of 03:13:44
1st: The Orange One finishing at Grove Park in a time of 03:13:10

The leaderboard (after 1 round) is as follows:

1st: The Orange One: 12 points
=2nd: Andrew Chilcraft: 10 points
=2nd: Steve McSherry: 10 points
=2nd: Leam Farrar: 10 points
5th: Tangy: 8 points
=6th: Josh Ageros: 7 points
=6th: Harry Ageros: 7 points
=8th: Andrew Baker: 6 points
=8th: Richard Martin: 6 points
10th: Peter Smyth: 5 points
=11th: Kevin Brown: 4 points
=11th: Glen Bryant: 4 points
=13th: Nick Gardner: 3 points
=13th: Tom Wood: 3 points

Thankyou all for attending and it encouraging to see some new and returning faces to the Random 15 Championship for this season, south London isn't so bad is it!

Next round will be held on the 14th November 2015, it will be a normal round but with a live draw (yes getting the bucket and post-it notes out again). I hope to see you all then.

Signed:
Tangy, the BERC.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Tangy

Thanks for the update - sounds like an interesting event and sorry I couldn't make it. Took me a while though to work out how two people managed to finish at a station that wasn't on the list!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
DrainBrain
Zone 6

Post by DrainBrain »

RJSRdg wrote:Took me a while though to work out how two people managed to finish at a station that wasn't on the list!
Easy enough:

Plan a train to finish at Lee.
Find out said train is cancelled.
Panic.
Get to Lee any way possible. (I ran from Hither Green.)
Marvel as first train out of Lee is also cancelled. (Thanks to Tom for pointing this out to me.)
Get next train out of Lee.
Finally get to and finish at Mottingham.

Also, a correction: I had thought that Mottingham was in Zone 5. That's just wrong.
Royal Oak to Bethnal Green in 333 days
Heathrow Terminal 4 to Amersham in 17 hours, 42 minutes and 22 seconds
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

My route:

Clapham Junction :arrow: Richmond (SWT via Barnes) :arrow: Kew Gardens (LO) :arrow: Richmond (District) :arrow: Clapham Junction (nonstop SWT fast) :arrow: Clapham High Street (LO via Wandsworth Road) :arrow: Clapham North (foot) :arrow: Stockwell (Northern) :arrow: Balham LU (Northern via Clapham South) :arrow: Streatham Common (Southern) :arrow: Streatham (118 bus) :arrow: Loughborough Junction (Thameslink) :arrow: Denmark Hill (foot) :arrow: Canada Water (LO via Queens Road Peckham) :arrow: Southwark (Jubilee via Bermondsey) :arrow: Waterloo East (foot) :arrow: Lee (Southeastern via Hither Green) :arrow: Hither Green (273 bus) :arrow: Grove Park (Southeastern)

I started at Clapham Junction with everyone, and quickly saw Barnes as on the list. Heading over to Platform 5, I was confronted with a horde of rugby fans waiting for the next service, so I made it to the very front of the train for some space to breathe. I took the 1202 (delayed 1205) towards Weybridge along with almost everyone else (scattered along the length of the train) and we alighted at Richmond and ran over the bridge to find the lights of a District Line train pulling away from Platform 6. Boarding the next service (Overground, Platform 4) we headed up to Kew Gardens before turning round to get back to Richmond. We did not have long to wait before a fast train back to Clapham Junction arrived.

Back at Clapham Junction, 55 minutes, 3 stations and 0 miles displacement down, we climbed aboard the London Overground, which I (and a few others) took to Clapham High Street. Running down to Clapham North, I boarded a northbound Northern Line service to take out Stockwell, I believe alone. Turning round quickly, I headed back down south to Balham to try and get hold of Streatham, and on the Southern platforms who should I find but Tangy, who had headed south at Clapham North and had as such not done Stockwell. The next train south at Balham was to Streatham Common - that would do!

At Streatham Common we left the station and were met with a very handy 118 bus to Streatham, which we took, and were soon on a Thameslink service heading north. At Loughborough Junction, station 9 out of 15, Tangy left the train to run the straight road down to Brixton; I left the train to do the completely unknown run to Denmark Hill, and in 8 minutes nonetheless!

I spent the first 3 minutes on what I thought was aimless wandering in the approximate direction of Denmark Hill, but which miraculously turned out to be the fastest route anyway! I then came across a street map, which told me I had to go virtually straight along, through Ruskin Park and parallel to the railway line. I passed an extremely large paddling pool and a café, and then on my left came a familiar whirring noise - the sound of a London Overground 378 - the one I was trying to make! No sign of the station as it passed me, so I continued onwards and found the edge of the park. There across the road and one block away was the station, but I couldn't hear the train. I rushed across the road and up to the station to see the top of the train below me, so I raced over the bridge and down the stairs to the beeping door noise, leaping through them as they closed.

The London Overground was reasonably full and very hot, so I sweated my way to Canada Water, then down the stairs for a decent change onto the Jubilee Line, which I took to Southwark. At Southwark, drenched in my own sweat I ascended to the platforms at Waterloo East, where I had an extremely welcome 10 minute wait for an equally welcome nonstop train to Hither Green. I continued on to Lee, where the timetables told me I would have a 10 minute wait to head back for an equally mediocre wait for a 15:12 finish at Grove Park. I wasn't doing another run so I descended to the High Street to look for buses - specifically the 261 south to Grove Park or the 273 north to Hither Green.

On reaching the High Street I was confronted with a 261 going north towards Lewisham, which was no use. Following that came a 273 going south to Petts Wood, which was of equally little use. Following that was a series of 202s, of different shapes and sizes heading in both directions. This was of no use whatsoever, so I checked the journey times (5 minutes to Hither Green, 8 minutes to Grove Park) before heading up to the London bound platform to find my return train cancelled. Brilliant! I headed back to street level, then finally found a bus of use - the 273 to Hither Green. Boarding at the only door, the driver put his foot down as we bounced through the side streets and arrived at Hither Green very quickly.

At Hither Green, I wandered up to platform level for my last train (which was for that 15:12 finish - oh well). This did not seem to be cancelled, so I waited. On the opposite platform, having just returned from Grove Park to reach a finish at Lee instead were Andrew, Leam and Steve, but my train arrived first so I went down to Grove Park, confident of my finishing time. At Grove Park I met Tangy, who was also heading back to finish at Lee, and we returned to Hither Green, where I decided to wait for Andrew, Leam and Steve. Who should be there but the Rail Riders, heading to Grove Park for a finish? Tangy found his train to Lee cancelled, so he went for the 273 bus to Lee to get a train back into town. I met up with Andrew, Leam and Steve and we headed to Charing Cross to reach the pub.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

What a disappointing set of stations with 2 x clusters of three being so close together.... Certainly wasn't the chaotic R15 I had been anticipating..... :(
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold