Intro and info on challenges

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
xcooler123
Zone 5

Intro and info on challenges

Post by xcooler123 »

As I am new to the forum, I'd thought I would introduce myself. My name is David, I am 22 and I am from Loughborough. I have been aware of the FNC for a number of years but have also recently been interested in a few other challenges to prep myself before I have an attempt at a FNC. Main reason for this is because I do not live in London and therefore do not have the extensive knowledge that some people on this forum may have! Having said that I have been fortunate enough to have made numerous trips down to London whilst at uni so I have a little bit onboard.

I am also keen on attempting challenges that have not been or very infrequently been attempted (SLAM and Zone 1+2 I'm looking at you!!!) just to see what can be done with them. Hence a couple of questions:-

1. I see that the Zone 1+2 has not been attempted since 2008 according to http://www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubecha ... onetwo.htm. Is that still the case?
2. Is the finalised list of stations 94 including the Dangleway + Battersea Park for SLAM?
3. Can 2 challenges be attempted at the same time (e.g. set a time for SLAM and Tramlink in the same route on the same day) assuming you have several stopwatches, etc. to record each bit?

I may be able to have an attempt at a SLAM on Monday so I shall keep you updated...
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
palkanetoijala31

Re: Intro and info on challenges

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

yes to number 1 its not a popular challenge even orange one whom holds most of the others doesnt even bother with it.

number 2 dangleway? whats that battersea park yes

number 3 and yes you could do that combine the two
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Apologies, number 2 I was referring to Emirates Greenwich Peninsula. I will keep people updated with the attempts :D
David
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

About the Zones 1+2, you have peaked my interest! After a number of R15s spent rushing around Zones 1 and 2, I'm left wondering how to go about this. It would obviously be better on a Saturday (Olympiaaa!), but all the track closures these days mean finding one where Zones 1 and 2 are fully open, and I am in London, is nigh on impossible. Looking like it's either the 29th of August or the 12th of September.

I do have a route for the SLAM, but I'd like to save it for the (probably far in the future) time that we all have a mass attempt.

Challenges I have yet to do include:
- Alphabet
- Tramlink
- SLAM
- Zones 1+2

I would highly recommend the Royal Challenge - the stations are spaced in such a way that there's a plethora of routes available. For sheer diversity, there is tractakid's National Rail Zone 1 challenge, where (surprise surprise) you have to visit all the National Rail stations in Zone 1, including the Overground.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

Funny you should mention the Royal challenge as that was another one that had caught my eye :) I have attempted to plot a route and it's challenging to say the least because, like you said, there is a silly amount of combinations you could try. Assuming the SLAM goes well on Monday I may also include a Tramlink attempt during that as well although I don't think it will be a particularly speedy time due to the fact it is shoehorned into my SLAM route rather than optimised for an attempt all by itself. I also have possible routes for the Overground challenge but finding time to attempt it is proving challenging...
David